How to tell if your truck was chipped before you got it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to tell if your truck was chipped before you got it

Hey guys New to the forums .... Just bought a second hand 06' 250 6.0 fx4. Great truck i like it a lot so far. Ok Here is my question. i've read all about oil coolers egr/cooler issues deletes blah blah... so i looked under the hood of my truck and sure enough, prev owner already deleted egr and cooler... not a problem I live in Oklahoma no emissions checks or inspections to worry about. From what i understand this negatively affects your MPG... im getting between 14.5 to 15.6 depending on the terrain.. Not too bad... Also the truck has an airraid Filter and some sort of 4'' open pipes... not sure of the brand... No chip in the truck ... (hooked to the ecu cables at least) No sign of debauchery under the hood, like they ripped it out before they sold it... Either way I dont have a check engine lite because of the egr. the check engine light comes on when i cycle the key so i know the bulb is still in the dash ... (No codes) .. So my assumption is that someone went into the system and disabled the egr ???? Again not a veteran powerstroker... i used to drive an 02 5.9 dodge for years.. got wrecked ... not important... SO With this over explanation ... How can i tell if someone has some random tune stored on this thing to turn off the egr... I want to chip it to try and squeeze some more MPGs out of it. I dont really tow anything. I have a ski boat that i used to pull with a jeep so Nothing heavy.. I basically drive long unloaded distances on the highway to oil well sites... I also dont horse it... it's plenty powerful enough for me.. Not worried about hurting the transmission or blowing head gaskets really... If it happens oh well... arp stud it and fix it.. not the end of the world.... also. I see you guys got for the sct for custom tunes and separate monitoring ... I dont like that... I want one unit... Not worried about the shift on the fly "issue" my plan is to set it and forget it....

Thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can't answer your question on how to know if it ever had a programmer on it because as far as I know there's no way of knowing. Most people use programmers on the 6.0, instead of "chips" like older trucks. I can also tell you that I have an EGR delete on my truck (it's an 05) and when I return to stock tuning my check engine light doesn't ever come on either. So just because the light is not coming on does not mean someone left a tune in the truck. Your best bet for mpg is going to be an SCT tuner and have a custom tune made for economy. Although most of the time the race tunes get the best mpg when driven conservatively. You should check out the new SCT Livewire TS. It can hold your custom tunes AND monitor everything all in one. No need to have two devices. Just so you know these transmissions are tough. Really tough. You won't have to worry about that unless you plan on doing studs and really pushing the power to it (aka turbo,injectors,etc.) Or if you run a crappy tuner then that can tear the trans up. That's why most go with SCT because they've proven to be good and you can get it custom tuned to whatever you plan to do with the truck. Hope that answers a few questions for you.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Premium Member

Dirty stroke... Great response! I also agree with you about the tuners. Personally, I use the itsx, works the same though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.