The third time of blown head gasket with studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The third time of blown head gasket with studs

The first time the truck had blown head gaskets at 21,000 miles when it was still under warranty they put the stock head bolt back in it. Then truck at 50,000 miles the head gasket were blown again and at that time I work a deal with ford to put arp studs with oem head gasket in was covered under warranty. Now 77,700 miles down road from the last head gasket job the truck only has 127,700 miles on it. The OEM head gaskets are blown and had arp studs. I was wondering if I should O-ring the cylinder heads or just take the heads to machine shop get them check out? I use my truck to pull my t300 bobcat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

did they check the heads to see if warped? sounds like thats the issue also should magna flux them too
Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The second time they check the heads to if they were warped and they were good at that time.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ford says that as long as they are within 0.003, IIRC, then they are "flat" and do not need machining. International says that they need to be flat like we like them but ford thinks otherwise. The way they check it is take a flat edge and use a feeler gauge.

I had my HG's and ARP's put in by TSD and they machined my heads, the drivers side was 0.002 out and the other was 0.005 out, IIRC. I put about 15k very very hard miles on it and never had a problem with the HG's.

I believe that the reason that you are having continued HG failure is because the heads where not flat or incorrect installation. If they over-torque the ARP's they will blow also.

Just my .02.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ford's standard for whether they consider the head flat or not leaves a lot to be desired. Your continuing to blow head gaskets is most probably due to improper preparation. Not only to the head and deck need to be perfectly flay, the surface must also have the proper prep for the gasket to get a proper seal. The most probable is that the heads were not truly prepared correctly. If they are not it doesn't matter what kind of fasteners you use, they won't last.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM

never just check. always get them resurfaced! thats more than likely the problem
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Also what kinda EGT's are you seeing while towing? If you are seeing very high EGT's, 1500+ sustained, then there is your problem.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslord84 View Post
Also what kinda EGT's are you seeing while towing? If you are seeing very high EGT's, 1500+ sustained, then there is your problem.

1500 sustained would melt pistons. i have drove a very long way at 1200 sustained
Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Ford's actual spec for the block flatness is .004" across the entire head, .002" across any 6" area, or .001" across any ~1" area. The head is .004" across the entire area, and that's it. That's a pretty large tolerance.

My guess is they weren't flat. Ford says they are, but they weren't. Ford also wont machine them at all, they say it can't/shouldn't be done. If they're not flat, they order a new head. However, some of the new heads come in "out of spec" to what we would consider good too. The only true way to do this is have the heads decked. Ideally you'd check block flatness too. With gaskets blown that many times...
Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 PM

the deck surface of the block is probably ruined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.