To flush or not to flush? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To flush or not to flush?

Ok so when I got my truck, it had around 66,000 mi on her. I didn't know much about the 6.0's at the time and I've been learning over the 4 years that I've had it. It now has 111,xxx mi and the tranny has had little bit of 3-5 flare for a while, which I have helped some by bumping up the line pressure on the looney wild tune, but here recently I have been noticing that there is a slight delay when I shift from drive to reverse or vise versa. I have searched around a bit and some say that it is ok to hot flush and some do not. Im pretty sure that the tranny has never been hot flushed and I know that I haven't changed the tranny oil since I had it. I just forgot about it really What do yall think I should do? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do it now. Don't wait. It should be done every 30k miles. It is not a service that you want to ignore.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would recommend exactly this as i have done numerous things with my transmission and had similar issues as you. first order both filters internal and external. ALSO for 78 bucks there is a shift solenoid VERY similar to the gogo for less than half the cost. i wouldnt recommend doing a full flush cause that will be a shock on the tranny and break all sorts of stuff loose. simply drain the pan and pull the pan off replace internal filter ( have a seal pic handy to grab the o ring that gets stuck in there ) then change the external filter which on your truck is up under the front of the truck by the passenger side front tire. the solenoid you will be replacing is the "Direct Clutch" solenoid and its the one on the back ( the side with only 3 solenoids not 4 ). Its a VERY easy thing to do and can be done in less than an hour its just a simple C clip old solenoid slides out new one slides in and reattach the C clip then done put the pan back on add 7-9 quarts of fluid back which is roughly half and your good to go. it will shift way better and the new clean filters will flow better and catch any new debris you break lose. i ordered the solenoids and filters both from MTS diesel ( google them ). let me know if you do it and how it works out for you!

i had initially done a full flush at 85K miles but the dealer didnt change the filters... WTF that made me mad. anyways i did the solenoid at 101K miles and changed the filters and did 7 quarts of fresh fluid.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
i would recommend exactly this as i have done numerous things with my transmission and had similar issues as you. first order both filters internal and external. ALSO for 78 bucks there is a shift solenoid VERY similar to the gogo for less than half the cost. i wouldnt recommend doing a full flush cause that will be a shock on the tranny and break all sorts of stuff loose. simply drain the pan and pull the pan off replace internal filter ( have a seal pic handy to grab the o ring that gets stuck in there ) then change the external filter which on your truck is up under the front of the truck by the passenger side front tire. the solenoid you will be replacing is the "Direct Clutch" solenoid and its the one on the back ( the side with only 3 solenoids not 4 ). Its a VERY easy thing to do and can be done in less than an hour its just a simple C clip old solenoid slides out new one slides in and reattach the C clip then done put the pan back on add 7-9 quarts of fluid back which is roughly half and your good to go. it will shift way better and the new clean filters will flow better and catch any new debris you break lose. i ordered the solenoids and filters both from MTS diesel ( google them ). let me know if you do it and how it works out for you!

i had initially done a full flush at 85K miles but the dealer didnt change the filters... WTF that made me mad. anyways i did the solenoid at 101K miles and changed the filters and did 7 quarts of fresh fluid.
I never heard of this 78 Solenoid.. Its really just like the GoGo? It looks like I have some reading to do.

I will add that I had my trans Hot flushed at Ford about 1 month ago and it helped with my shifts. I have 165k miles on mine. I thought my trans was shifting good before the flush, I only did the flush because the wrong fluid was put into my trans. I took it to Ford right away and had it flushed with new filters. Now it shifts even better. Im happy I did it..

Last edited by SharkDiver; 04-24-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 AM
Premium Member

yeah i did it on my truck and it solved all my issues.
Ford 5R110 Transmission Direct Solenloid | MTS Diesel Truck Parts

and to clear things up you only buy the ONE of these even if they call they say you need two but that is false.

I do not work for them or advertise in any way i am just a customer from them.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 AM

Do don't do the flush? Mine has never been flushed. And I have the filters at home right now, I just gota figure out what to do first.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Premium Member

honestly im not entirely sure on your flush it may be good it may be bad... ill leave it up to you.. i guess as long as you change the filters it wont hurt... maybe after 5000 miles change the external filter again.. i edited my post above with a link to the solenoid.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Take it to the dealer or a trans shop that can do a heated flush and get all of that old fluid out of there.

The solenoid mentioned above is nothing more than a factory EPC solenoid that you can get from your local Ford dealer. I ordered mine from Sunrise Ford, a supporting vendor here, For $73.xx shipped.

The internal "filter" is just a screen and not that important. It is the external filter which actually filters the fluid. With your mileage and never having changed the fluid though IMO it is important to get all of the old fluid out and fresh, clean fluid in.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Take it to the dealer or a trans shop that can do a heated flush and get all of that old fluid out of there.

The solenoid mentioned above is nothing more than a factory EPC solenoid that you can get from your local Ford dealer. I ordered mine from Sunrise Ford, a supporting vendor here, For $73.xx shipped.

The internal "filter" is just a screen and not that important. It is the external filter which actually filters the fluid. With your mileage and never having changed the fluid though IMO it is important to get all of the old fluid out and fresh, clean fluid in.
So your stating this is just a new stock solenoid? Either way it cured my 3-5 flare 100% maybe they upped the volume it flows?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 PM

Well I made an appointment with the dealer here to have it hot flushed this weekend. Im going to replace the external filter after I get the truck back saturday, and then change the internal one when I go to relpace the DD Solenoid with a gogo one, which should hopefully be sometime next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.