question about lpop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
question about lpop

I have a late 04 I just done the lpop and front cover my new lpop has a wear sleve that come with it.my old lpop didn't have that sleve in it.does anyone kno do I need to put this sleve on and if so how close to the gears does it go thanks for the advice guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it a sleeve for the front cover seal to ride on?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Like a boss!

Sub'd.. I havnt gotten this far into my build yet so maybe we can figure it out ahead of time. I believe I know what seal you are talking about... can you put up a few pictures?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM

I don't know for sure all that I can figure out is that people is cutting it off with a hack saw I and I am sure it's the same one.I just have no idea how mine has disappeared and where the new one goes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If should on the crank after the gears so that seal that's on the cover for the gears rides on it if I remember right
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 AM

laferty I will put some pictures up as soon as I get home I drive truck so I am only able to work on it on the weekends. and for a few tips on the lpop when u get ready to put your front cover on if you are replacing that just make sure your manifold bolts are loose and set the cover up there start 2 or 3 bolts hand tight then take a bar and put between the cover and oil pan and pry up on it till your oil gears slide in. it work pretty well I fought with mine for a day and a half before I got them in
Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
THAT sleeve is supposed to be in the front oil seal! when your done with the gear install you need a special tool to install the front crank seal. This tool pushes that sleeve onto the crank with the oil seal as one unit.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by licenced2burn View Post
If should on the crank after the gears so that seal that's on the cover for the gears rides on it if I remember right
Absoluty correct!!! The front crank seal has been updated and includes a wear sleve. It must be installed. I bleive there is a special tool, but this is how I have done the last 3 I did.

1. Get oil gears in cover
2. Install the sleeve...I belive there is a bevelved side and a fat side could be wrong Beveled side should face out.
3. With the sleeve started on the crank shaft using a block of wood tap sleeve until flush with crank.
4. Using balancer start all 4 bolts and tighted the balancer down until seated in installed position.
5. Remove balancer and install crank seal housing and seal.
Install balancer and all other removed componets.

Basically you are using the balancer to install the sleeve the rest of the way. After the balancer is removed you will see the sleeve is now set in 1/4 to 5/16 of inch on the crankshaft.

I havent had one leak or comeback yet. Works great. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Bump To Pass!!

DANG IT!!! Jugernaut Treeed ME! and he is correct when the crank seal is installed you should be able to see the sleeve protruding from the front of the seal.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.oneil View Post
I don't know for sure all that I can figure out is that people is cutting it off with a hack saw I and I am sure it's the same one.I just have no idea how mine has disappeared and where the new one goes
With the crank seal housing removed a couple of flat screwdrivers or snapon prybars will get the sleeve moving and slighly off the crank. Then a pair of vice grips will pull it the rest of the way off. Just make sure not gouge the crank at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.