lets talk street/race tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lets talk street/race tunes

For starters, my truck is on 37" tires has egr delete, head studs, stock injectors, intake, exhaust, stock trans. its a vxcf9h7 strategy with an 04 ficm. has good fuel pressure.

hear is my opinions on these tunes they are me sotp feel and the best as I can describe.

Xtreme street: Has awesome power. most top end power tune I have (70 mph +), smokes a good bit, shifting on this tune is a little goofy. never has shifted good on my truck causes a bad 3/5 flare, also shifts too hard. This tune seems to have a light switch effect. cold starts are little bit rougher on this tune.

Looney wild: Tons of low end grunt, smokes like a pig. It has a little light switch effect. Holds the shifts to 4000rpm+ kind of makes it seem like it falls on its face. I feel the shifts are too soft for the power but otherwise a great tune.. Looney also has the loudest exhaust note on my truck. hard cold starts

Super Panty Dropper: smooth linear power, lowest amount of smoke. Has good power.. I would say its my slowest of my race tunes. The transmission on this tune its horrible imo. At moderate acceleration this tune holds the shifts all the way to 3800 rpm then slams in the next gear I cannot stand this because I have a heavy foot. has no light switch effect, but the trans dose? Chris and I have tried hard to make it right but cannot get it. not my favorite tune.

Super Panty Dropper early lock up: Same as above just with early lock up so its even worse.

SRL+: My favorite tune, this tune screams out of the hole. locks the converter in third gear at WOT and shifts awesome, right at 3900 rpm. SRL dose smoke a lot at wot on my truck, there is a continuous haze of black. It has absolutely has no light switch effect. Shifting is the best spot on shifting no 3/5 flare feels like a built transmission is in the truck. SRL is by far the best dd race tune I have. It dose not have the top end xtreme street or Looney have. But is nice and smooth. Only complaint I have is that it locks the truck in OD at 45 and with big 37" tires it kicks up and down at 50-60 mph sometimes. cold stars are perfect. I ran this tune at the drag strip. It did a 14.16 in the 1/4 mile.

Again this is on MY truck with the way I drive its is all seat of the pants feel. I am not bashing any tuners there all great in their own way. I just want some more opinion of how these same tune compare for you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Making ported intakes

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Awesome feedback. Matt at Gearhead is awesome. Try leaving your truck on tow haul and re gear it to 4.30s
Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 AM

Your truck acts exactly like mine. I've never ran the Looney Wild or Inoovative tunes, but with the regular Looney Tune my transmission loved to hold gears up to 4k under light throttle. I had the same problem with the SPD and Chris tried to fix it many, many times, but never could get it, although it wasn't for a lack of trying. I have to say that Matt' SRLXX is spot on with the shifting and runs likes a freight train.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 AM
Premium Member

i have had matts and innovatives. i run matts SRL+ everyday its pretty good but at WOT it takes RPMS to 4100+ maybe even 4200 sometimes. this scares me as i do not want to float my valves. i hated innovatives i do agree they had lots of power but the transmission shifting was poor.

i am wanting to see some tony wildman reviews as he is the one i have been thinking on trying next.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This thread absolutly illustrates the point that every truck and driver are diffrent. My SPD is the fastest and best tune I have and I really dont like erics tunes. But this is the best part of custom tunes...keep getting diffrent truck to drive when a new tune is loaded. The best way to do it is to try sevral diffrent tunes and see which work the best for your driving style and truck. I am starting to really like the Wildman extreme I have.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM

The only tune Ive used has been SPD from Chris.. I just ordered Matts SRL+ to see how it works with my trk. My SPD is fast off the line with good low end power but seems to have no top end power.. Plus it seems I have a hard time getting my boost over 22psi unless I load the engine on a hill. No turbo leaks.. Chiris says 05s can be tricky to get the boost spot on. IDK..
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0 stroke View Post
For starters, my truck is on 37" tires has egr delete, head studs, stock injectors, intake, exhaust, stock trans. its a vxcf9h7 strategy with an 04 ficm. has good fuel pressure.

hear is my opinions on these tunes they are me sotp feel and the best as I can describe.

Xtreme street: Has awesome power. most top end power tune I have (70 mph +), smokes a good bit, shifting on this tune is a little goofy. never has shifted good on my truck causes a bad 3/5 flare, also shifts too hard. This tune seems to have a light switch effect. cold starts are little bit rougher on this tune.

Looney wild: Tons of low end grunt, smokes like a pig. It has a little light switch effect. Holds the shifts to 4000rpm+ kind of makes it seem like it falls on its face. I feel the shifts are too soft for the power but otherwise a great tune.. Looney also has the loudest exhaust note on my truck. hard cold starts

Super Panty Dropper: smooth linear power, lowest amount of smoke. Has good power.. I would say its my slowest of my race tunes. The transmission on this tune its horrible imo. At moderate acceleration this tune holds the shifts all the way to 3800 rpm then slams in the next gear I cannot stand this because I have a heavy foot. has no light switch effect, but the trans dose? Chris and I have tried hard to make it right but cannot get it. not my favorite tune.

Super Panty Dropper early lock up: Same as above just with early lock up so its even worse.

SRL+: My favorite tune, this tune screams out of the hole. locks the converter in third gear at WOT and shifts awesome, right at 3900 rpm. SRL dose smoke a lot at wot on my truck, there is a continuous haze of black. It has absolutely has no light switch effect. Shifting is the best spot on shifting no 3/5 flare feels like a built transmission is in the truck. SRL is by far the best dd race tune I have. It dose not have the top end xtreme street or Looney have. But is nice and smooth. Only complaint I have is that it locks the truck in OD at 45 and with big 37" tires it kicks up and down at 50-60 mph sometimes. cold stars are perfect. I ran this tune at the drag strip. It did a 14.16 in the 1/4 mile.

Again this is on MY truck with the way I drive its is all seat of the pants feel. I am not bashing any tuners there all great in their own way. I just want some more opinion of how these same tune compare for you guys.
I don't believe I have ever heard that from anybody else running Matt's tunes. You might want to talk to him about the smoke. Even with a leak at the Y-pipe on the p-max right now, my SRl+ doesn't smoke hardly at all.

I love my SRL+! I haven't tried any of the others and don't plan to. I've run it with stock turbo as well as a stage 1, a hybrid, and a p-max and all have run great.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

hes right though it does shift to OD at 45 MPH that is very annoying -_-
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
hes right though it does shift to OD at 45 MPH that is very annoying -_-
I guess im weird because I like it shifting to OD at 45-50mph.. But I do alot of driving were the limit is 45mph so I cruise at 50mph in OD.. It seems to help with fuel eco.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 AM

Shockingly enough, it seems from your descriptions the tunes with the most fuel (visible smoke) are the fastest... go figure LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.