Head studs going in got a few questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head studs going in got a few questions?

How much (approx) does a crew cab with seats out weigh? Cab only of course.

How high do you have to raise the cab up if you wanted to roll out the chassis? Assuming the bed was off. Thinking of making a stand for the cab next to the garage. Remove the bed and the get the cab up on the stand (s?) and hand roll, tow, push, pull the chassis into the garage.

I was planning on doing gaskets and studs on a new truck whether it needed it or not. The new truck needs... I probably need new heads too. Got fuel in coolant along with the 16psi+ degas. The fuel leak is slow, there is no smoke, no coolant loss and the degas psi rate is very slow, even with the hammer down 0-80mph. The truck drives sweet getting 18+mpg all stock. It had an egr cooler failure that caused the head problems. If it does need heads I have not yet decided the route to go. Considering the costs, risks and logistics of machining old ones or remans, I really want new castings. I am nervous to get them from clearwater, even though I am leaning towards them. I've heard the are good... mostly.

The more I learn about this truck the more I want to do the work myself. I just proved it will fit in the garage at or new house diagonal! This way I will not be in a crunch for time and if the new heads do fail I will be able to remove them myself saving twice as much coin in the end. If I have to I can order the heads and get them checked out by a machine shop prior to install. I'll feel good knowing I did the job and I am capable of getting in there efficiently if some thing else needs tending to.

This truck has no rust and all the options I wanted, so to me it is worth dumping some time and money making it what I want, instead of being forced to pay way more for something I really did not want. I'm putting a lot of other updates/upgrades in while the truck is apart. I plan on upgrading fuel system, turbo, ficm, hpop and injectors after I prove this head stud job holds up to some strong tuning and abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Like a boss!

Awesome. I love headstud threads. I can't answer your weight of cab questions but I can help with heads. It seems that taking off the cab in your situation without a lift would be alot more work then just doing them with the cab on. It is not that hard at all. As for clearwater, I just purchased 2 new heads from them. They are at the machine shop being double checked for cracks, flatness and valve height before I install them. According to clearwater, they have not had any issues with the new heads, only the remans and I havnt heard a story of them not honoring a warranty. I got them for $1350 and $125 for the machine shop double check.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd say try to do it with the cab on. It is not that bad. I just did it myself. Cab on and A/C condenser still installed (pulled half the condenser shell. The Snap On torque adapter is the ticket.
As for the Clearwater new cast heads... I ran into the problem of both of my stock heads needing to be replaced. One was warped pretty bad, the other had cracks. I got a new set from them and have about 500 miles on them. No issues yet. I know quite a few members on here that are running them hard without any issues.
I got a truck that was in ok condition but it was exactly what I was looking for minus the leather, (F-550). I knew ahead of time that I wanted to build the truck my way. I planned on doing all the work I did even before I bought my truck.
There are plenty of people that have done it and can offer up their advice. Plenty of sticky threads to help along the way, Youtube as well.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Do it with the cab on unless you have the means of lifting and setting the cab. It's not hard to do in cab. See the thread link in my signature. I did mine in my driveway in cab. Not hard at all. If you have fuel in your coolant you HAVE at least one cracked injector BORE (not injector cup) and at the minimum that head needs to be replaced. If your other head checks out reuse it and buy a NEW head from FORD. Stay away from Clearwater Cylinder Heads in Clearwatee Florida. Good luck and if you need any help don't be afraid to ask for it.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Like a boss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Do it with the cab on unless you have the means of lifting and setting the cab. It's not hard to do in cab. See the thread link in my signature. I did mine in my driveway in cab. Not hard at all. If you have fuel in your coolant you HAVE at least one cracked injector BORE (not injector cup) and at the minimum that head needs to be replaced. If your other head checks out reuse it and buy a NEW head from FORD. Stay away from Clearwater Cylinder Heads in Clearwatee Florida. Good luck and if you need any help don't be afraid to ask for it.
I don't think it is fair to say to stay away from them. They are selling the same new heads as QuickTricks. So stay from them also? There are only a few threads of people having problems with heads from them. I am sure they must have a ton of 6.0 heads running the streets.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It's your money do what you want with it. Personally after having bought one of their heads myself and it failing and now needing replaced yet again I will do what I should have the first time around and just get a new Ford head. Also Shack had his NEW castings from them fail on him in 300 miles and dump coolant into the exhaust causing him to pull the heads again after only 300 miles and rebuild his turbo plus put new heads and gaskets again on the truck. Like I said its your money spend it how you want but I will never buy CCH heads again I don't care who sells them.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 AM

I may have a lift available, I also hear you guys on leaving the cab on. It just looks so easy with cab off.
I want to know my options. If the cab weighs around a thousand pounds, I'll consider raising it.

Cause I'm pretty sure I need at least one new head, i really want to do this myself, for time and options reasons. Maybe i will find something during tear down to make me just want a low mile take out motor. Right now i think i do not want to install one new (or reman) head and have the old one not cracked machined. I want two of the same right, for peace of mind when the power gets turned up! Hey Maybe they both are cracked.

I'm torn on the new castings versus ford remans. Ford remans are $3000pair, with 12mo/12k warranty on parts only. We are getting into the realm cost wise of a take out motor here. I will still pay a machine shop to verify the reman heads. I forgot to ask If they come with valve train and hardened exhaust seats?? Everything I'm seeing says get hardend valve seats. I'm not doing this job just to fix it, I got some power plans.

Clearwater wants $1400 a pair delivered with return delivery for their "new" beefier castings. Their warranty claims 5years unlimited miles they come "ready to install" with valve train and hardened seats. I have heard good and bad about clearwater. my questions are What has failed on the new cch heads, were they (could they have been) checked for these issues prior to install, how did the warranty claims go? They are telling me the have not seen a new casting crack, as of a week ago.

The few problems with cch I've heard about are mainly when something
does go wrong they are not kissing booty to make it right. That's a big problem with me. When I see shyster used in negative feed back I get concerned.

Are those my only reasonable options here for heads????

Thanks for the responses, all!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Like a boss!

Heads come with valves and springs. Not valvetrain.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laferty View Post
Heads come with valves and springs. Not valvetrain.
Everyone's heads, new or reman all come with the valves and springs installed? I misunderstood, thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Like a boss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashdog View Post
Everyone's heads, new or reman all come with the valves and springs installed? I misunderstood, thanks.
Unless specifically stated otherwise, yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.