Installed my ww 2 yesterday - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed my ww 2 yesterday

Well guys I installed my wicked wheel from diesel site yesterday and so far I love it! To start this is the first time I have ever pulled my turbo or even really removed much on the truck. Pulling the turbo was pretty easy I got it out and on my bench, I couldn't get the damn thing part. After pounding on it and getting the damn thing apart I it was rusted good and very hard to pull the exhaust side apart I found that the nut part on the shift, that looks like is there to hold the shift still when taking the compressor off was damaged and rounded off. After Messing around with different socket sizes I was able to hold it with pliers and get the stock compressor off. I installed the ww and cleaned the exhaust side good and made sure there was no damage or anything I put it back together and started my reinstall. Needless to say that putting the turbo back in was a *****!! I tried for 20 minutes and had to take a break to cool off... Lol it kept getting hung up on the damn drain tube. Anyway I got it in and l buttoned up and I was worried it would even run... Lol started up and ran fine. I took it out for a test drive and started smelling burning oil so I pulled over and looked under truck and had a **** ton of oil pouring on the ground. I debated on calling the wife to come get my truck and I but realized I left my phone home! So I drove it home leaving a trail of oil behind about 3 miles. I get home and start searching for the problem when I shine a flashlight under the driver side turbo and I see the damn drain tube was pulled out of its home and stuck just letting oil drain out onto the engine. After cussing and throwing a tantrum I dug back into it and got it placed back in its home and now everything is working well.

My exhaust temps are about 75 degrees cooler and I love that it does spool quicker and I'm interested if I will gain any mpgs but so far I can say it was worth the 239 dollars I spent on it :-) I'll keep you all updated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I thought i had experienced just about anything that can happen to R&R'n the Turbo, but I never did that 1.

D
Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM

Like hearing stuff like this....the goods and the bads...I keep thinking I'm gonna order one but never pull the trigger....I think it seems like a great upgrade for the price...
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya I can say I learned a lot and it was quite fun and easy digging into it... These engine e's are surprisingly easy to work on if you don't mind a few busted knuckles and bruises.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda22 View Post
Like hearing stuff like this....the goods and the bads...I keep thinking I'm gonna order one but never pull the trigger....I think it seems like a great upgrade for the price...
I honestly would say it's worth the price so far for a cheap upgrade that is noticeable especially on the low end... I'll be towing with it pretty soon so I'll let you know how it does.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM

Yea would love to hear, don't tow a lot but he little I do any help would be great
Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM

I have been towing with mine and it did indeed make a difference in the spool up. I didn't have my Edge Insight installed before I put it in so I do not have any numbers to compare.

It will clear up 155/30 injectors even with a stock tune.

For the price it is a good deal IMO. IT will not take the place of a larger turbo if that is what you are truly needing. But for less than $250 and a half hour of time it is well worth it
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Glad to hear its working out for you and that you were able to get the oil leak fixed quick too.
The results sound identical to our (MTW's) wheel.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerw13 View Post
Well guys I installed my wicked wheel from diesel site yesterday and so far I love it! To start this is the first time I have ever pulled my turbo or even really removed much on the truck. Pulling the turbo was pretty easy I got it out and on my bench, I couldn't get the damn thing part. After pounding on it and getting the damn thing apart I it was rusted good and very hard to pull the exhaust side apart I found that the nut part on the shift, that looks like is there to hold the shift still when taking the compressor off was damaged and rounded off. After Messing around with different socket sizes I was able to hold it with pliers and get the stock compressor off. I installed the ww and cleaned the exhaust side good and made sure there was no damage or anything I put it back together and started my reinstall. Needless to say that putting the turbo back in was a *****!! I tried for 20 minutes and had to take a break to cool off... Lol it kept getting hung up on the damn drain tube. Anyway I got it in and l buttoned up and I was worried it would even run... Lol started up and ran fine. I took it out for a test drive and started smelling burning oil so I pulled over and looked under truck and had a **** ton of oil pouring on the ground. I debated on calling the wife to come get my truck and I but realized I left my phone home! So I drove it home leaving a trail of oil behind about 3 miles. I get home and start searching for the problem when I shine a flashlight under the driver side turbo and I see the damn drain tube was pulled out of its home and stuck just letting oil drain out onto the engine. After cussing and throwing a tantrum I dug back into it and got it placed back in its home and now everything is working well.

My exhaust temps are about 75 degrees cooler and I love that it does spool quicker and I'm interested if I will gain any mpgs but so far I can say it was worth the 239 dollars I spent on it :-) I'll keep you all updated

Man you got lucky with the oil leak. When I rebuilt mine it fought me for sure, and it doesnt help it is so heavy and shoved in a small hole either!

I read in your sig you have an '04.......I have an '04 but dieselsite told me they didnt make one for my year as of yet.....what is the build date on your truck?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow View Post
Man you got lucky with the oil leak. When I rebuilt mine it fought me for sure, and it doesnt help it is so heavy and shoved in a small hole either!

I read in your sig you have an '04.......I have an '04 but dieselsite told me they didnt make one for my year as of yet.....what is the build date on your truck?

Thanks
The 2004 has two different versions... an early and the late.
Our current wheel works in the 2004.5-2007.

For fun:
I've learned quite a bit since I've started working here full time and one of the more interesting things about the 6.0L's I've learned is that I have to look at them as 3 different trucks:

2003 - Early 2004
2005-2007

Crazy stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.