Black ONYX failed AGAIN...? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Black ONYX failed AGAIN...?

might be beating the dead horse on this Black ONYX issue but did first HG job at 112K did ARPs, EGR delete, beat the crap out of it (draggin/sled pullin), sold it, at 150k new owner (buddy) Blew the first set of BO gaskets, So i tore it down AGAIN and replaced them AGAIN.. like an idiot I put in another set of BO gaskets,( this was before the huge alerts came out on the BOs) now truck has 208K and is badly puking again. From 150k to 208K it only had a 60hp tow tune on it and was used as a work truck only...

tried new cap, EGR is deleted, im going to check for gasses in the degas tomorrow but is there anything else that could cause this that I might be missing or are the BOs really that predictable for failure??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM

also heads were pressure checked and decked .006 when i did them at 112K.. did not check them at the 150k time..
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
the black onyx gaskets from what i've read in google and on here are just that bad.. time to throw on some new OEM ones i guess!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Emergency Services

Sounds like your gaskets. The only gaskets recommended for studding a 6.0 are OEM gaskets. Not sure if you consulted with anyone on here before using BO either time but you would've been instructed not to use them. A few months ago there was a guy that was literally told by about a dozen members to go OEM but decided to go with Victor Reinz, I'm sure he'll be back wondering why his heads blew again lol.

Are you planning on going the OEM route now after 3 blows in 100k?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM

yeap Ive been installing OEMs ever since (which was right after i did this truck unfortuantly) we were hoping for the best but I think time has run out, Ive read the black onyx will warranty them but I want cash not new ones..lol.. Is there a record for longest lasting BO gaskets in the 6.0.. these made it 58K!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbybc12 View Post
Sounds like your gaskets. The only gaskets recommended for studding a 6.0 are OEM gaskets. Not sure if you consulted with anyone on here before using BO either time but you would've been instructed not to use them. A few months ago there was a guy that was literally told by about a dozen members to go OEM but decided to go with Victor Reinz, I'm sure he'll be back wondering why his heads blew again lol.

Are you planning on going the OEM route now after 3 blows in 100k?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ha, I did a full write up on this very forum on an In cab Install back in 09.. nobody said a word, right after i did the second set i started to see the controversy threads popping up,, soon after huge red flags..
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Your gonna need a new set of heads as well this go around. Reason being is you have already taken .006" off and the limit is .008" (my machine shop won't touch them if they are out more than .006") so this time it's gonna be spendy for sure. Just make sure you don't use VR gaskets again.

Might be cheaper to throw in a new long block from Blackwater Engines. $4400 gets you a full blueprinted long block with OEM head gaskets and ARP studs plus a 2 year 50,000 mile warranty. Btw that $4400 is SHIPPED and they don't charge you a core charge on the engine or shipping crate up front, they give you 30 days to return the old engine and shipping crate.

Last edited by Tuscany; 04-15-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Serving Our Country!

Just don't get heads from Clearwater Cylinder Head.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Texas Proud

I'm leaning on agreeing with onebadcoastie on the heads from clearwater, having hell with mine that were supposed to be brand new and all they are doing is costing me more money. Wish I knew about the long block from blackwater, that's the route I'd choose next go around, IMO that is.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie.thomas View Post
I'm leaning on agreeing with onebadcoastie on the heads from clearwater, having hell with mine that were supposed to be brand new and all they are doing is costing me more money. Wish I knew about the long block from blackwater, that's the route I'd choose next go around, IMO that is.
What's going on with yours? I crack the head in the exhaust port on a brand new casting with 300 miles on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.