Horsepower Estimation? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Horsepower Estimation?

With my current mods in my sig what do yal think i'm pushing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
450 RWHP maybe.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd say mid 400s.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM
The Silent Service

I'd also wager 430-450RWHP with the lifted setup.

Limiting factors as I see them:

-Stock Air Filter/Intake (Any surging or anything from the Hybrid Turbo?)
-155/Stock Nozzles (in the higher RPM band, the stock nozzles can only flow so much fuel)
-How your truck responds specifically to the combination of that SRLXXX and PHP Atlas80 tuning. What FP are you seeing at WOT.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Banned

Ben you do not need larger nozzles to deplete the fuel barrels in 155's with stock nozzles. Hell even 175's you don't need a larger nozzle. Bill Cohron put down 520 RWHP consistently with 175/stock and a stock turbo and FICM tuning. He put down 570 RWHP with a hybrid and the same injector and truck setup as before. To say that you NEED nozzles for 155's or 175's is asinine. The key is the FICM tuning that allows for a longer pulse width to deplete the barrel of all the fuel. Now anything over 175's then yes I agree that it would be wise for larger nozzles because there is only so much that pulse width can do.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would think 430 or so.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why do I think I've read before that custom tune , intake & exhaust put guys 410-425?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Ben you do not need larger nozzles to deplete the fuel barrels in 155's with stock nozzles. Hell even 175's you don't need a larger nozzle. Bill Cohron put down 520 RWHP consistently with 175/stock and a stock turbo and FICM tuning. He put down 570 RWHP with a hybrid and the same injector and truck setup as before. To say that you NEED nozzles for 155's or 175's is asinine. The key is the FICM tuning that allows for a longer pulse width to deplete the barrel of all the fuel. Now anything over 175's then yes I agree that it would be wise for larger nozzles because there is only so much that pulse width can do.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Now I mentioned that the stock nozzles are a limiting factor, not a deciding one. What would be more efficient here; a stock nozzle forcing a broad PW, or a say 30% or 50% over allowing for the fuel timing to be dialed in? I venture to say that the bigger nozzle will produce more more any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamv7010 View Post
Why do I think I've read before that custom tune , intake & exhaust put guys 410-425?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
On a stock level truck, it will. However when you factor in the lift on the OPs, you have to figure in that additional power loss.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

Most high power tunes deliver a PW of about 2.7ms at mid-high RPM and ICP. 2.7 PW at about 3200rpm is pretty darn close to the fuel wall for stock nozzles. It doesn't matter what the injector core size is, fuel delivery is only a function of time (PW), pressure and much fuel you can flow (nozzle) in the limits of time. If your PW is less than 2.7ms, you are not delivering the maximum fuel available via tuning FICM or PCM) with stock nozzles. If you want more fuel, you need larger nozzles and a bigger injector core beyond this. Dumping a bit more fuel earlier, will help spool the charger, but it increases the heat and possibly smoke.

As an example, at 3500 rpm, the crank turns 0.0583 revs/ms or about 21 degrees. If you have been reading up on diesel engines, the sweet spot for best max cylinder pressure is 15-20* ATDC. To achieve this, the injectors have to start delivering fuel at some point before TDC and should almost be finished by 20*. It could continue as long as 70* with diminishing power returns and extra heat. So if start of injection was at 10* BTDC and ignition was just prior to TDC, and injection lasted 3.0 ms, EOI would be 53* ATDC, well past the ideal point. That would be one hot load and need a large charger to keep the temps under control, but the cylinder pressure would be fairly safe.

Torque and HP remain strictly a function of fuel and air in the ideal mix. If it is not balanced the result will not be optimized. Does the Atlas 80 help with the SRLxxx? The real question should be how much, since the tune is already dumping near max fuel.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Banned

Ben I have ran 175/stock nozzles in my truck and now have a set of 175/75's. The 175/75's are smokier and harder to clean up but stock nozzles create more torque and power than the 75% nozzles do throughout the RPM band, but lack up top (limited pulse width to empty the barrel, but this is where FICM tuning comes into play to increase the pulse width up top long enough for the injection event to completely occur) because it atomizes the fuel better and allows the injection to be a tad bit longer and smoother allowing for a more complete burn. You can't argue with the numbers. They have been proven over and over again. Larger nozzles are NOT needed to empty the barrels of 175's and especially not 155's. People have this giant misconception that a larger nozzle is needed in order to make a larger injector work properly and after a certain size that is correct but for injectors 175cc and smaller it is not necessary. Funny thing is that Bill put down 570 with 175/stock injectors and a Hybrid turbo from MTW. And Oliver (Odawg) put down 581 with 175/75's and a Hybrid, BUT Oliver also had a ported intake manifold, Steed Speed headers and custom up pipes for those headers when he hit those numbers. Lol an extra (potentially) $2500 in added parts only netted him 11 RWHP more than Bill got with a STOCK setup and 175/stock injectors plus said mods.

Also for you question about pulse width vs more fuel. The longer pulse width is going to produce more power and torque vs the larger nozzles dumping the fuel faster because it is allowing for a more complete burn by atomizing the fuel into much smaller particles at the same ICP and RPM. The larger nozzles are going to dump the same amount of fuel faster yes, BUT it is going to make it smokier and a hotter running injector because it is harder to clean up and get a complete burn with the injection event is so quick and not as refined (better atomization).

Last edited by Tuscany; 04-14-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.