Suggestions for Stage I of mods for 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suggestions for Stage I of mods for 6.0L

Hello

I bought a 03 Excursion w/6.0L with 230K that is all stock except K&N filter. I like the performance and economy stock but after reading endless threads on improving it I am planning on them and want to make sure I am going in the right direction if I can gain some hp/tq and without sacrificing mpg's (would like a slight increase)

It had a cold start issue and took it to dealership to scan the computer and I specifically asked them to check inj, battery voltage, FICM voltage, fuel pressure. They said the EGR was clogged and stuck open so I had them replace it. I haven't picked it up yet but have started my Stage I wish list.

If it all checked out I wanted to start with an open exhaust and originally wanted just a cat back but everyone raves on the turbo back so I see AFE and MPRB both have turbo backs with 409. I would like to hear more of the turbo but don't want the rumble to be too loud so should I use the new high flowing muffler or delete it? If there are no testing locally how about the cat? If I can gain performance with deleting them I would like to unless there are some adverse effects. I see people mention large downpipes are those included with the exhaust or are they separate pieces?

I wanted gauges to monitor the EGT, trans temp and boost so what is recommended. If it is feasible for an economy or tow tune with stock headgaskets and bolts I would like to get a tune and hear DP, Diesel Elite and Innovative Diesel mentioned a lot and wondered if there is a tuner/gauge combo.

Also what about FICM upgrades that increase power? Should I just get one of these instead of the tune or just stick with tune?

Many say stick with stock intake but I read in the magazines where they suggested AFE intakes. What is the consensus with cold air intakes?

The seller had the cooling system flushed every 30K miles should I still install a coolant filter?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I would still get a coolant filter if I were you. There will still be stuff flowing through the cooling system I am sure.

As for exhaust, there are many options. A 4" system should suffice just fine. You can get them with or without the muffler as well. We have a few different options available if you would like to check them out. HERE is a link.

It has been said that the stock intake is fine up to 500HP. However, aftermarket intakes work good as well and look a little better than the stock setup. We have a few different ones available HERE.

If you are interested in a programmer and monitor(gauges) in one device, check out our Infinity. It will monitor all generic and Ford enhanced data. You can also add additional inputs that the PCM does not see such as EGT and fuel pressure. HERE is a link to it.

Let me know if you have any additional questions I can help you out with.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowekmr View Post
Hello

I bought a 03 Excursion w/6.0L with 230K that is all stock except K&N filter. I like the performance and economy stock but after reading endless threads on improving it I am planning on them and want to make sure I am going in the right direction if I can gain some hp/tq and without sacrificing mpg's (would like a slight increase)

Get rid of the K&N.

It had a cold start issue and took it to dealership to scan the computer and I specifically asked them to check inj, battery voltage, FICM voltage, fuel pressure. They said the EGR was clogged and stuck open so I had them replace it. I haven't picked it up yet but have started my Stage I wish list.

If it all checked out I wanted to start with an open exhaust and originally wanted just a cat back but everyone raves on the turbo back so I see AFE and MPRB both have turbo backs with 409. I would like to hear more of the turbo but don't want the rumble to be too loud so should I use the new high flowing muffler or delete it? If there are no testing locally how about the cat? If I can gain performance with deleting them I would like to unless there are some adverse effects. I see people mention large downpipes are those included with the exhaust or are they separate pieces?

Turbo back will include a new down pipe. Delete the cat and delete the muffler if you don't have emissions testing but hang on to the cat in case they start it up in the future. I just helped install a Pro Flow or Flow Pro or whatever it is called on a members truck and was very impressed with the fit and hardware.

I wanted gauges to monitor the EGT, trans temp and boost so what is recommended. If it is feasible for an economy or tow tune with stock headgaskets and bolts I would like to get a tune and hear DP, Diesel Elite and Innovative Diesel mentioned a lot and wondered if there is a tuner/gauge combo.

Forget Elite. I like the Edge Insight to monitor and the SCT X3 or SF3 to tune with. I don't like any of the tuner with monitoring options out there. You can run a good performance tune for non studded trucks with no problem and if you can control your right foot you will get the best mileage with that. Eric at IDP, Matt at Gearhead, or Tony Wildman would be my suggestion for tunes, not necessarily in that order.

Also what about FICM upgrades that increase power? Should I just get one of these instead of the tune or just stick with tune?

An Atlas40 FICM tune from PHP (there are some others that can also install it like Ed at FICM repair dot com but it is a PHP tune) in addition to a custom SCT tune is the ticket.

Many say stick with stock intake but I read in the magazines where they suggested AFE intakes. What is the consensus with cold air intakes?

AFE and S&B are the usual preferred aftermarket intakes.

The seller had the cooling system flushed every 30K miles should I still install a coolant filter?

Not a bad idea. The IPR coolant filter is the way to go here.

Thanks
Also if you don't have emissions testing it would be good to delete the EGR cooler too. The IPR Gen2 EGR Delete is the way to go with that. There are cheaper solutions but none nicer that the IPR Gen2.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:49 PM
The Silent Service

As with the suggestions above, take a good look at the threads in my sig.

Let us know if you have questions.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM

If u r wanting to save $ just lose cat and muffler it sounds great but hardly any drone in cab and then if u like it u can decide on a turbo back system !! Thats what I have ran for 2 yrs now and the whisle is awesome sounds great while in the throttle but quites down at highway speeds !! Definately do a coolant filter and cts for monitoring !!! Good luck and have fun I love mine !!!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 AM

Are there tunes that just keep the EGR closed or minimize it's use? Or it there an advantage to eliminating it? Do the EGR delete kits block it off or remove it from system? Once it is deleted do I need a tune to see a power/efficiency improvement?

Also do the upgraded FICM mimic what tuning does or do they control different variables. It looks like injectors might be in my near future, do 155 or 175 injectors improve power on a stock engine? Any rebuilt injectors recommended or ones to stay away from?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowekmr View Post
Are there tunes that just keep the EGR closed or minimize it's use? Or it there an advantage to eliminating it? Do the EGR delete kits block it off or remove it from system? Once it is deleted do I need a tune to see a power/efficiency improvement?

Also do the upgraded FICM mimic what tuning does or do they control different variables. It looks like injectors might be in my near future, do 155 or 175 injectors improve power on a stock engine? Any rebuilt injectors recommended or ones to stay away from?
Going with a custom tuned SCT, you can run the EGR valve any way you prefer.

The advantage to a block or deletion of the cooler is that the valve cannot be forced open by back pressure, and the cooler can't fail following an clogged oil cooler (leading to the 6.0L HG failure).

If you run a block or deletion, you will need a tune on the later 6.0L's which will throw a CEL without flow through the cooler.

As for the FICM question, this gets complicated as we start talking about matching FICM tuning with PCM tuning. The early high voltage FICMs were in fact a bandage for the issues surrounding the longevity of these modules. I feel that Bullet Proof Diesel, solved that and the high voltage units are no longer nessacary. The tuning of the FICM is a different set of variables that that of PCM tuning, and when matched together will cancel eachother out. (I.E. a 100HP FICM tune with a 140HP PCM race file won't produce a truck in the 510RWHP range, but closer to that of 420-440RWHP). Getting the tunes matched up ususally requires an FICM file in the +25-40HP range, depending on your injector setup and fuel pressure regulation.

For you injectors, unless you are going to need to replace them anyway, I'd start with a new turbocharger first. For example a MadTurboWerks (MTW) Stage 1 or Hybrid. Stepping up to 155 or 175 injectors will allow you to lay all the supporting mods in the truck first and be able to take full advantage of those injectors when installed. Personnally, I feel the truck runs smokey and hot enough under stock injectors and turbo, and will be doing a turbo first on my own build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.