Ccv mod question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ccv mod question.

Was thinking of doing this mod today. Since they are routing it in the intake does that mean it has to stay under vacuum to work properly? Is there a downside to doing this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It does not have to stay under vaccum. The downsides of doing the mod is that it doesn't pass emissions tests (if you've got to worry with that in your state) and sometimes the fumes coming out of the pipe stink pretty bad. I smell mine sometimes when the wind is blowing and I'm sitting in a drive thru with my window down. But other than that, it is a great mod.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have routed mine into the atmosphere. I did a ton of research and could find no solid evidence vacuum was necessary. Most high performance race machines I've been around vent into atmosphere so that's good enough for me. Nobody on here has reported any negative effects. If you research CCV on google you can find the history of its origin. Using vacuum pressure to suck fumes back into intake was an EPA mandate, which was initially resisted by the manufactures. CCV was not born to help the engine in any way, only the environment.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 AM

What size hose do I use and how long? I already have a plug.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumppy View Post
What size hose do I use and how long? I already have a plug.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I used 3/4 hose and ran it inside the frame rail back to the driver side rear tire.

the only thing i have heard that you need to be careful of is causing too much resistance. from what i have read it needs to have as little as possible
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

I use 1in tubing and only make mine long enough to go from the valve cover to the frame (about 2 ft).
Old 04-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Stroke View Post
It does not have to stay under vaccum. The downsides of doing the mod is that it doesn't pass emissions tests (if you've got to worry with that in your state) and sometimes the fumes coming out of the pipe stink pretty bad. I smell mine sometimes when the wind is blowing and I'm sitting in a drive thru with my window down. But other than that, it is a great mod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
I have routed mine into the atmosphere. I did a ton of research and could find no solid evidence vacuum was necessary. Most high performance race machines I've been around vent into atmosphere so that's good enough for me. Nobody on here has reported any negative effects. If you research CCV on google you can find the history of its origin. Using vacuum pressure to suck fumes back into intake was an EPA mandate, which was initially resisted by the manufactures. CCV was not born to help the engine in any way, only the environment.
Going to disagree with you gentlemen, but nothing new with that. There have been plenty of folks who have done it wrong with disastrous effects like blown main seals from too much crankcase pressure.

The lack of vacuum will result in increased amount of blow by. The vacuum pulled on the crankcase Actually helps seal the rings against the cylinder walls. That's why lots of racers run vacuum pumps Rob. :

If you decide to do this make sure you use a 1" line. You might get by for a while with 3/4" but I wouldn't do it.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Going to disagree with you gentlemen, but nothing new with that. There have been plenty of folks who have done it wrong with disastrous effects like blown main seals from too much crankcase pressure.

The lack of vacuum will result in increased amount of blow by. The vacuum pulled on the crankcase Actually helps seal the rings against the cylinder walls. That's why lots of racers run vacuum pumps Rob. :

If you decide to do this make sure you use a 1" line. You might get by for a while with 3/4" but I wouldn't do it.
This is interesting Mitch. I've never heard this downside to doing the ccv mod. Kinda makes me wonder if I should put it back like it was factory. Seems like blow by would be worse on the motor than oil going through the turbo and intercooler...
Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 PM

Well after hearing that I guess I build a catch can and vent it back to the intake.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using 3/4" hose as that is the factory size hose fitting for the CCV. You will not "increase" flow by using 1" since it has to go through a 3/4" fitting to get to the hose anyway. As long as there are no kinks or high spots in the hose, you should never have an issue.

That being said, I use a canister and route back to the intake. I mainly did it because of the smell, but I also did not want to mess with the vacuum effect going on.

Here is my setup...

This is on my 7.3L, but it is the same concept for the 6.0L

Last edited by Justin@DP-Tuner; 04-08-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.