Rebuilding Turbo Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rebuilding Turbo Help!

Saturday night had the cruise set going through some hill, she downshifted and the turbo built boost and she also started grinding! Looked at it, the shaft has 1/2 inch play in it and the fins are terribly warn. Pulled the turbo and now it's time for a rebuild. Budget is cheapest possible. Anybody have a good write up on how to rebuild it? Also is there a good cheap upgrade for my fins and vains? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well a rebuild is pretty inexpensive to do. Have you checked the condition of your compressor and turbine housings, vanes, unison ring, and wheels?? When you say "fins", what are you referring to?? I presume the compressor wheel blades??
Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Well a rebuild is pretty inexpensive to do. Have you checked the condition of your compressor and turbine housings, vanes, unison ring, and wheels?? When you say "fins", what are you referring to?? I presume the compressor wheel blades??
I have not taken apart the turbo yet, I pulled it out and didn't want to pull it apart without a reference to compare to. By fins, yes I mean compressor blades, my apologies! I am just curious on what you can all do to rebuild and to upgrade the stock turbo with some parts. If I had more of a budget I'd already have the Powermax on its way!!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Ok, I got ya. Go ahead and tear the turbo down check the condition of the turbine wheel, vanes, unison ring, and compressor housing. I doubt the turbine housing is totally wrecked. The unison will more than likely not have a perfectly slotted hole for the VGT actuator and will probably need to be replaced. The vanes MAY have pitting, but if the pitting isn't that bad, you can re-use them as they are HIGHLY unlikely to break. Then also check the blades of the turbine wheel to see if there is any damage. It sounds like you'll be able to rebuild this turbo. Rebuild kits can be had from Ebay for around $55 and you'll probably need a new compressor wheel. You could go with a good used stock one or upgrade to a billet wheel if you choose. There are a few options out there. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Ok, I got ya. Go ahead and tear the turbo down check the condition of the turbine wheel, vanes, unison ring, and compressor housing. I doubt the turbine housing is totally wrecked. The unison will more than likely not have a perfectly slotted hole for the VGT actuator and will probably need to be replaced. The vanes MAY have pitting, but if the pitting isn't that bad, you can re-use them as they are HIGHLY unlikely to break. Then also check the blades of the turbine wheel to see if there is any damage. It sounds like you'll be able to rebuild this turbo. Rebuild kits can be had from Ebay for around $55 and you'll probably need a new compressor wheel. You could go with a good used stock one or upgrade to a billet wheel if you choose. There are a few options out there. Hope this helps.
Okay I'm in class all afternoon and will be tearing it down after. Will update you on progress. Few more questions, bare with me if they sound dumb fore I am still learning, If the vanes have pitting in them can i take out some vanes to make it like an '03 turbo? Also if the shaft is broke is that included in the rebuild kit? ONE more thing, can you shoot me a link to a rebuild write up? THANKS a bunch
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

No worries. ALL 6.0 turbos have the same number of vanes. The difference in the 03 turbo is that the turbine wheel has 10 blades (not removable) where the 04-07 turbine wheels have 13 blades. These wheels are not interchangeable either. No the turbine wheel and shaft (one unit) does not come in the rebuild kit. The rebuild kit comes with new bearings and seals but wheels and unison rings will have to be purchased separately. I'll see what I can do about finding a rebuild write up.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
No worries. ALL 6.0 turbos have the same number of vanes. The difference in the 03 turbo is that the turbine wheel has 10 blades (not removable) where the 04-07 turbine wheels have 13 blades. These wheels are not interchangeable either. No the turbine wheel and shaft (one unit) does not come in the rebuild kit. The rebuild kit comes with new bearings and seals but wheels and unison rings will have to be purchased separately. I'll see what I can do about finding a rebuild write up.
That would be fantastic if you could shoot me a link to a step by step turbo dissection
Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anybody know of a write up on taking the turbo apart?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have a writeup on the 03 turbo. I'm at work now but I'll post it tonight if no one does. But I'm sure they will..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yeah here's a good link

Rebuilding the 6.0 VGTurbo - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.