Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

MORE COMPRESSOR WHEELS FROM MTW:::

14K views 70 replies 28 participants last post by  MWilbur516 
#1 ·
I have been very busy with all the orders and development I have going on. I have some stock repalcement billet wheels, and are very nice. Are they the same as the wicked wheel, could be the same, I haven't named the wheel anything just a upgrade billet wheel for 05-07 stock turbo trucks the price of the wheels will be on the MTW web site when it comes back up. Looking at about 225.00 for the wheels. I also have the billet stage 1 which are also a upgrade billet drop in for the powermax. Prices are at 325.00 but the more I have ordered the lower the price so it might be dropping in cost. I will keep everone posted, I want to stay very competitive in the sells of the billet wheels, and plan to offer the lowest price on them.

I also plan on 7.3 billet replacement wheels if there is enough interest in them, along with some 7.3 38r turbo mods to increase preformance, I would like to have some 7.3 beta testers for the turbo so let me know if interested.

I haven't gave up on the 6.4 as I have wheels in production for them too, along with the mods to the 6.4 turbo. Still plan on stage 1, 2, 3 and replacement billet wheels.

What other wheels? I have just gotten the stage 3 billet wheel in as a 11 GTX style wheel. The new wheels will be replacing the orginal stage 3 6x6 billet wheels. The stage 4 will be getting here very soon (2 weeks) also a GTX 11 blade design and will be replacing the orginal 6x6 wheel.

I'm building the billet wheel section, to offer the best bang for the buck on all the replacement wheels, and along with the restructuring I'm doing right now look for better communtication and customer service.:thumb:
Stage 5 yes, on it's way and have beta testers lined up for that turbo.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are some pictures of the various wheels.

This picture is of the stock replacement next to a stock wheel. Both wheels drop into an 04-07 Turbo. We have one of these wheels out there right now getting some testing done.

Here you can see how much taller it is compared to the OEM wheel.

Then here is the line up of all the single plane wheels starting with the OEM replacement and going to the Stage 1, then one being tested for the Hybrid (there is a dual plane wheel that is being tested as well), and then the new Stage 3 billet wheel (also going into testing).

#6 ·
I don't think the OEM replacement will flow any less than the Wicked Wheel. Eitherway, an initial report (little 20 mile test drive) with testing this wheel said that spool up was definitely quicker than the stock wheel and EGTs were down at least 50-75F at WOT. We'll see how things go after he drives some more and the PCM learns a little bit more, he does some towing with it, and we get a couple more out there. No surging at all as well.

Is your Wicked Wheel single or dual plane?? Single plane is like this wheel and dual plane is like the OEM wheel??

#9 ·
I want a wheel for my 03 turbo any one no where I can get one . Diesel site is working on one but I don't want to wait ?

#12 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of the 03 turbo replacement wheel next to an 03 OEM wheel.

Here's the side view so you can see how much taller it is.

Last one. Here is the 03 and 04-07 wheels side by side.

I'm sure the question is going to come up (so I'll head it off if I can), "why does the 03 replacement wheel have a different blade design than the 04-07?" The reason for this is because these were wheels that were currently available through our compressor wheel supplier and as of right now, there isn't an 11 blade, single plane option for the 03 turbos. If the popularity of these wheels is such that the development of one is necessary, MTW will have that done. Basically, we are trying to be able to offer the latest wheel designs possible as early as we can and for a reasonable price. I hope this makes sense.

On Edit: I forgot to mention that the 04-07 wheels are actually a little lighter in weight than the stock wheel they replace, even though they have WAY MORE blade surface area. Even the 03 wheel weighs identical to that of the OEM wheel and has more blade area as well.

#13 ·
Want to see pics and info on the 7.3 stuff once available.

#14 · (Edited)
This little guy showed up at our GTG yesterday! :D

It installed real easy and looks so pretty!

Nordstrom was so happy, that he got a little carried away with the go pedal... 80mph in a 50mph... Good thing the Trooper was a good friend :taze:

Now I want one! :please:

#17 ·
these things look sick. you should add the titanium bolts on your website as well so people dont attempt to reinstall the stock bolts when changing wheels or entire turbos.

#18 ·
These things look sick...
Thanks man. I too was REALLY impressed with the looks of the little guys when I saw them too. Hopefully they bring something to the stock turbo for guys looking for a reasonable and fairly easy mod to do.

You should add the titanium bolts on your website as well so people dont attempt to reinstall the stock bolts when changing wheels or entire turbos.
Hmm...Not a bad idea. I like it. I'll look at see what's out there.

#20 ·
I don't think the OEM replacement will flow any less than the Wicked Wheel. Eitherway, an initial report (little 20 mile test drive) with testing this wheel said that spool up was definitely quicker than the stock wheel and EGTs were down at least 50-75F at WOT. We'll see how things go after he drives some more and the PCM learns a little bit more, he does some towing with it, and we get a couple more out there. No surging at all as well.

reespieces71, the above quote from Nate (windrunner408) was the results reported by us after we installed it on an OEM Turbo yesterday.

#22 ·
Well go figure, Adrian brings out another MAD product and a bunch of us are asking ourselves "Damn, what do I really want now?!?" :hehe:

Awesome stuff guys, keep up the MAD work!!:thumb:

#24 · (Edited)
What's the performance difference?? From what I understand about compressor wheel design, single plane wheels typically grab and flow more air down low than dual plane wheels. Where dual plane wheels will typically be able to spin faster, due to less drag and wind resistance, than single plane wheels and will flow more air up top. From the little bit that I have seen with the same chargers and different wheel designs, I am more a fan of the single plane wheel vice the dual plane but in this application, the difference are very miniscual. Either way though, if the demand is there for the 03 specific turbos, we'll have a single plane version made.

Now in the two wheels that I showed there. The single plane was for the 04-07 turbos and the 03 turbo had a dual plane wheel.

NOTE: I should note that I do believe the 03 wheel would out perform the 04-07 wheel (if they were going to be compared on the same turbo) because it has a larger inducer diameter than the 04-07 wheel, but either wheel is an upgrade over their respective OEM counter part.

#26 ·
Wheel

-:popcorn2:-

#27 · (Edited)
Ok so i am the lucky recieptient of that pretty little wheel yesterday. For those of you who followed "my exp w/ a MTW stage 1 now a hybrid" thread you no i had MAJOR issues with surging and after over a $1k in trying different tuners and even a live tune and still couldnt get rid of it so i went back to a OE turbo a couple weeks ago and what a relief surging was gone. Well then Nate had to go throw a wrench in things and offer up this wheel to try and i couldnt say no. So i held a CCR "wrench day" yesterday and we installed (i have gotten so good pulling the turbo that we spent more time waiting for UPS then we did on the turbo, took about 30 to remove and 40 to put back in as i droped a bolt down back and had to start over but i did find my 10mm socket on top of the block from last time..lol) So i took it for a run..left my Wildman Tow Tune loaded and off we went. First thing i noticed was how much faster it spooled up i was really impresed. Did a couple WOT runs and liked it. Next hopped on the Interstate and did a few more hot runs and then let the TC lock and ease enter her. My Egt's were great about 75* plus or minus better never saw anything higher then 1200 under a WOT. Next i stopped and loaded up an Atlas 40 Ficm tune (was running the Econo) and took off again. Egt's climbed around 100* but were still overall good. I plan on putting a load on it next Sun and will drive it some more this week and update as i get new info. But my first impression is that i would spend the $225 on this wheel as you will notice a difference and i think it is completely worth the price. Just keep in mind that you will still have an OE turbo so dont expect to get thrown back in your seat. (you can only polish a turd so much and your still left with a turd) but with the right tune this will be a GREAT upgrade for most everyone. And the best part of the whole thing NO SURGING AT ALL!!!!!!

And yes i got real lucky with the State Trooper as we were headed towards each other when he flipped his lights on and neither of us reconized the vehicles yet, (as i was doing about 80mph in a 55 with expired tabs) he drives an unmarked Charger. Well it just so happened to be my best friend who has spent more time in my truck then my wife has on all of our hunting/fishing trips so we all had a pretty good laugh on the shoulder of the road. But i did get a text a little later that the next dinner is on me...ha

Attachments

#28 ·
I'd really like to see a difference back to back on the dyno with the Stage4 dual plane 6x6 and single plane 11 blade. Maybe I'll get a chance if Bill ever answers me.

#33 ·
Well Mitch, the 11 blade, single plane, Stage 4 wheel is still on order. We are just as interested. It is my opinion that an 11 blade wheel beats a 6x6 wheel every day, however, I think a 7x7 wheel may be a different story. Just thoughts and hopefully with time we can see what the advantages/disadvantages of various wheel designs are.

#29 ·
I got a question for the mtw guys or anyone that is familiar with the 11 blade single plane billet wheel. I installed one (not an mtw) but another company in my powermax now it seems to howl between 1400-1800 rpms. I took the charger out double checked my torque(10ftlbs) was within spec no binding no contact on housing is this just the nature of the beast with the amount of air the new wheel moves??

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#31 ·
I got a question for the mtw guys or anyone that is familiar with the 11 blade single plane billet wheel. I installed one (not an mtw) but another company in my powermax now it seems to howl between 1400-1800 rpms. I took the charger out double checked my torque(10ftlbs) was within spec no binding no contact on housing is this just the nature of the beast with the amount of air the new wheel moves??
I FINALLY got my truck running (had some set backs :hehe:) and am running a regular run of the mill Hybrid right now (NO turbine housing tweaks) with our 11 blade single plane wheel in it and I kind of notice the same thing. My howl/whine (if you want to call it that) is VERY faint. It's rather like a whistle. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are building boost like normal. If the wheel was hitting, you (more than likely) would be building less boost. Hope this helps.

#30 ·
Hey Adrian,

Which one do I want to go to next? :D

#34 ·
Well I am not planning to be on the dyno til June 5th or 6th. Do they make a 7x7 wheel? That would be even more fun to test. Since I will be on the dyno anyway I would be willing to get some numbers if they can be sourced in time.

#35 ·
We'd have to have them made unfortunately Mitch. Actually the new Stage 4 wheel will be made from a different manufacturer than the current Stage 4 wheel. Before we'd embark down that path, we have to do some VERY indepth testing on something currently available in all three styles to see if that would be worth doing. I think we'll just stick with the new 11 blade design for now and see how it does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.