dual fuel pump system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dual fuel pump system

has anyone every tryed this, like feeding each head with its own pump and reg them off the rear with a single return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Read this thread......

Dual stock fuel pumps...Is it possible?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a giant waste of money with no benefit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

greg i know it does sound that way but was just thinkn cuz u c people dual pump like when running 2 cp3's so idk was just thinkn
Old 04-07-2013, 04:28 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac540 View Post
...was just thinkn cuz u c people dual pump like when running 2 cp3's...
First off nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. Unfortunately though, what you are proposing will have no benefit whatsoever my friend and here's why. The OEM fuel pump (/HFCM as some people call it) is only responsible for filling the injectors with fuel to be injected into the motor. The High Pressure Oil Pumping System is what is responsible for actually injecting the fuel into the motor via hydraulic oil pressure. CP3 pumps do both filling the injectors and injecting the fuel into the motor. However, the common rail injection system is vastly different from our injection system. What you are actually thinking of (and kind of applies) is dual High Pressure Oil Pumps (HPOPs). These provide more oil flow to the injection system and in essence is the closest thing you can do on motors that would be like a dual CP3 setup. However though, you wouldn't really see any gains unless you were running (at a minimum) a 190/100 or 205/100 injector. Basically, for 225s and above, you could possibly look into something like this. Either way though, higher injection pressure does give better atomization of the fuel for a better burn and more power. Hope this helps some.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
First off nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. Unfortunately though, what you are proposing will have no benefit whatsoever my friend and here's why. The OEM fuel pump (/HFCM as some people call it) is only responsible for filling the injectors with fuel to be injected into the motor. The High Pressure Oil Pumping System is what is responsible for actually injecting the fuel into the motor via hydraulic oil pressure. CP3 pumps do both filling the injectors and injecting the fuel into the motor. However, the common rail injection system is vastly different from our injection system. What you are actually thinking of (and kind of applies) is dual High Pressure Oil Pumps (HPOPs). These provide more oil flow to the injection system and in essence is the closest thing you can do on motors that would be like a dual CP3 setup. However though, you wouldn't really see any gains unless you were running (at a minimum) a 190/100 or 205/100 injector. Basically, for 225s and above, you could possibly look into something like this. Either way though, higher injection pressure does give better atomization of the fuel for a better burn and more power. Hope this helps some.
I'm just going to throw this out there for consideration. After seeing the data and dyno sheets that Bill @ PHP posted up after installing the HPODS system on his truck there is no doubt that the extra HPO makes a considerable difference in the higher rpms. And that was on a 175/stock nozzle setup. So here is my thought on it. It will come as no surprise for those who have seen my posts on the subject of nozzles that I think most people run nozzles that are too large for the injector i.e. 190/100 or 175/75. etc. I think that the large nozzle makes up for a lack of HPO required to inject the fuel at high rpm. So the additional HPO really allows you to get the best high rpm injection with the smaller nozzles whether through dual HPOPS or the HPODS setup. The advantage being a better torque curve throughout and no loss of high rpm fuel delivery because of the smaller nozzles.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the fuelab 41401 I use is good for 1000 hp. Doesnt even move the fuel pressure gauge at 60psi with 225's and 100% nozzles. More than sufficient for any 6.0 build. Oiling system is the issue with these trucks. You know that already Tyler.

I know what youre getting at, however, not like a common rail there is no need for dual "low pressure" fuel pumps to supply the demand and volume needs of dual pumps (dual modded/tripple pumps) and big nozzles
Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As said in the linked thread separate pumps feeding each head leave you with a situation where one pump could die leaving you with fuel to only one side of the engine. It's just not a good idea.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
well heres the thing im going 350/150's so i am things there gunna be thirsty lol so idk eichner and i were just throwing some ideas around u know deff going with jess's dual pump set up he hooked me up with one for this build
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
the fuelab 41401 I use is good for 1000 hp. Doesnt even move the fuel pressure gauge at 60psi with 225's and 100% nozzles. More than sufficient for any 6.0 build. Oiling system is the issue with these trucks. You know that already Tyler.

I know what youre getting at, however, not like a common rail there is no need for dual "low pressure" fuel pumps to supply the demand and volume needs of dual pumps (dual modded/tripple pumps) and big nozzles
nd yeah i deff know that for sure so i mean i was thinking about changeing it up for more fuel for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.