Tuner Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuner Question

Hey guys im doing this for a buddy, but he is wondering what tuner and gauges to run.
The pickup:
2006 Ford F-250 3/4 ton qcsb

His mods are:
4" mbrp exhaust
arp studs
ford head oem gasket
bullet proof egr
new upgraded ford oil cooler
casserly 155cc reman injectors
airdog 165gpm

He is looking at an SCT tuner, not sure what one to get. I have heard good things about both the x3 and the sf3. I was thinking he should probally have a custom tune wrote, so some recommendations on a good tune writer would also be great.

I was also thinking about a 4 gauge pod with, pyro, low side fuel pressure, HPOP, and an edge insite cts.

Any recommendations are welcome and greatly appreciated. Im a cummins guy so im a little lost in the powerstroke world haha.

Thanks guys and have a great easter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 AM

to the site... Sct tuner with Innovative Diesel custom tune really woke my truck up. If he's looking for inexspensive gauges glowshift are cheap and affordable they work pretty well on mine. Probably a oil temp gauge would probably be the best investment for these 6.0L since you will never know when the oil cooler will crap out.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the info, what model of tuner do you recommend? And thanks for the welcome!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

If you want a product that will tune and monitor, check out our Infinity. You won't find a more advanced/enhanced product on the market.

HERE is a link to it if you are interested.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:57 AM

Hard to say I still have mix feeling with mine, sometimes wish I went with the SF3 tuner, since I hardly use the live wire except for loading tunes it just spend most of its time in the center consol. Then again mine is the older version.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

SCT X3 and the Edge insight CTS with the EGT probe hands down! Best bang for the buck, definitely the best tuner for the truck, and no thousand dollars worth of gauges because the insight CTS had you covered! If you browse through the 6.0 forum, you are going to read this is the most used combination and there is a reason for that.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeSoldier View Post
SCT X3 and the Edge insight CTS with the EGT probe hands down! Best bang for the buck, definitely the best tuner for the truck, and no thousand dollars worth of gauges because the insight CTS had you covered! If you browse through the 6.0 forum, you are going to read this is the most used combination and there is a reason for that.
X2 ... That's the route in went with for my 550 buildup. I also got a fuel pressure sensor for it.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fifty View Post
X2 ... That's the route in went with for my 550 buildup. I also got a fuel pressure sensor for it.
Definitely agree on the fuel pressure! If you are running low fuel pressure your injectors aren't getting lubered up the way they should. Get the Blue Spring upgrade too. The reality of the SCT is that you can download the same custom tunes on all of them, so it really doesn't matter which model. The SF3 comes with generic tunes to tinker with, but definitely would have some custom tunes written.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for all the info, all good info. Who is a good tune writer? I checked out innovative diesel already, just looking at all options.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
SCT X3 or SF3 for tuning and the Edge Insight CTS with egt probe. Add a fuel pressure and a low pressure oil pressure gauge. As for tunes the popular choices are Eric at Innovative Diesel, Matt at Gearhead Automotive, Vivian at Quicktricks, and Tony at Total Diesel Performance. My personal choices would be Matt or Tony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.