Turbo questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo questions

I have been reading a little bit about turbos as Im going to upgrade probably this summer. What makes turbos like the mtw stage 1 and the power max so much better than stock? Is it strictly boost numbers? Sorry if my questions come off dumb but I wanna know what the huge differences are. My truck has the 03 turbo and I have seen 35psi before multiple times whereas I have read threads were people are barely seeing mid 20s with the oem turbo. I have also read that 6 speeds can see higher boost numbers. From what i have read, the stock turbo does a so so job of cleaning up 175/stocks but with the boost numbers I'm seeing in my truck would it clean them up better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What makes a bigger turbo (like a MTW Stage 1 or Powermax) better than a stock turbo is that with the bigger compressor wheel, you get more airflow than the stock turbo does at the same boost pressures because it doesn't heat the air that it is pumping in up as much thus giving a cooler denser charge of air. Also, with these chargers, the response/spool up is VERY close to what a stock turbo is and even though it lights off the same way in most cases, since it is flowing more air it will feel like the power comes on stronger and quicker than before. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks Nate. I knew there was more too it than just boost psi. Im leaning towards the mtw stage 1 or hybrid. Do the mtw turbos have any whistle to them? I'm sure I will miss my 03 racket
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

We can rebuild and turn your 03 turbo into a MTW Stage 1 or Hybrid and it will still whistle.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM

Is that why the stage 1 is so reasonable in price because you have to send your turbo in to be rebuilt?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:50 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Well all of the MTW turbos are built from used/core Ford 6.0 turbos. Of course each turbo is completely disassembled, checked, cleaned and blasted, and gets a brand new rebuild kit with new seals and bearings. If the center section is bad, it gets junked. If the turbine wheel is bad, it gets replaced. If the unison ring is bad, it gets a new one. If the solenoid is bad, it gets replaced. Yes these turbos are "remanufactured" and modified, but they do come with a 1 year warranty and have proven to go the distance with mileage and use. I guess it was a little long of answer for your question, but yes, rebuilding Ford 6.0 turbos, allows the cost to be kept down considerably.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

My mtw stage 1 whistles like crazy. Love the way it sounds but I love the extra get up and go it gives me. I ran it on canned sct tunes at first but have since upgraded to Tony Wildman's tunes. I think my truck is stupid fast and love how I get minimal, if any, smoke at all. If you're going to get a new turbo, look no farther than the mtw brand. I get compliments all over the place about it except with my neighbors in the early morning hours.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 PM

Yeah I'd imagine with my 03 turbo it would be pretty loud. What's the down time on one of his turbos?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 PM

Also what is the durastroke turbo considered?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0075 View Post
Yeah I'd imagine with my 03 turbo it would be pretty loud. What's the down time on one of his turbos?
Down time is going to be about 2-3 weeks (depending on shipping carrier), with the majority of that time being that the turbo is in transit. Usually, Adrian can get a Stage 1 built within a day or two of getting your turbo that you send in to have built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0075 View Post
Also what is the durastroke turbo considered?
The "Durastroke" was what Adrian called his very first turbos because they were actually built from Duramax turbo compressor housings and wheels. However, he has since moved away from sourcing core duramax turbos and only uses Ford 6.0 turbos as cores and just modifies the compressor housing for the duramax compressor wheel. This is what is known as his Stage 1. Hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.