What Turbo to buy For 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question What Turbo to buy For 6.0?

New here and this is my first post.
Need help with my 2006 6.0 turbo delima. The ford Garage (under Warranty at 30K) put a "Remanufactured" turbo on without telling me. Now I'm at 130K and need to either rebuild the turbo or get another one. Rumor is it's risky rebuilding a remanufactured turbo (my mechanic told me) but not impossible. A stock rebuild kit may not work if the opened the bearing housing bores and installed larger OD bearings...so if I just replace the turbo...which one (cost effectively) should i put on? (just fyi...turbolag was bad before and I'd like to get rid of all i can through this)
use of truck: Primarily short trips (30 mi.) (empty) and towing a 34 ft fifth wheel (6-8k lbs) cross country.

6.0, ARP Head studs, 4" sst turbo back, IRP Remote Oil Cooler, AFE intake, EGR Del, Blue Spring, SCT Tuner.

Last edited by Tesla777; 03-30-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added Truck Specs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't know about rebuilding the re-manufactured issues you brought up, but when I looked at a new turbo couple months ago the best options were a powermax for about $1200 or a MTW stage 1 billet(rebuilds yours) for about $1100. I went MTW as it offers more performance. PM madpowerstroke on here and ask him about the reman issue. Powermax would need a tune to run right where as the MTW can run without a tuner.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I dont know anything about the MTW. How Does it compare to the Garret Powermax? I done some calling and Throughbred Diesel recommended the Aroura 3000 (more pricy) and said the spool-up is "crazy fast compared to the garret" and is NON-VGT which would be less problems maybe.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 AM

Mtw stage 1 with new billet wheel, and you will be set. That's what I'm getting great for stock injectors and tuning but can handle more if you choose to put in bigger injectors down the road.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

been reading up on the MTW. but not able to find how long the life is of any of them. thinking of stage 2 with stock injectors and already have sct tuner.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Call or Shoot me a text at 810-869-7782 and I'll be able to explain it all for you. The Stage 2 is off the table for now. We are moving away from the Stage 2 as it is too hard to source and keep cost effective. Anyways, give me a shout.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

new to this forum. this is my first day. called you and lft msg.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:57 PM

Doesn't matter what MTW turbo you get...you will still need it tuned for the turbo to get it dialed in
Old 03-30-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin6L View Post
Doesn't matter what MTW turbo you get...you will still need it tuned for the turbo to get it dialed in
You know something we don't? MTW says the stage 1 can run with a stock tune. If you are running no other mods, and don't want a performance upgrade, there is no reason to get a tune. Now I think we can all agree if you have a MTW turbo, you probably want to take advantage of it with a performance tune- but it's not required, my advice above is sound. Read about it on the MTW site:

MTW Stage 1 - Information & Purchase
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM

they need to get tuned...i have a hybrid...it needed tuning big time as well as many others who have one. And yet my turbo still surges just a little. Just go and talk to others who are running Adrians turbo's...they need tuning to get dialed it. Can you run them without tuning sure, but it wont run perfect. Just ask Adrian. Tuscany(Bryan) needed tuning for his stage 1 to get it dialed in to run right. There has been surging with the stage 1. This is where tuning comes into play to get it to stop. These turbo's need tuning to get dialed in.

Last edited by strokin6L; 03-30-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
new turbo, rebuild turbo, replacment turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.