155's and stock head bolts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
155's and stock head bolts

My trucks been down since mid january with injector issues, been pricing them out and 2 reman's will only be a little cheaper than a set of 155's with stock nozzle's(renagade $600). Head studs will still be on the to do list, but just can't afford to do both right now. Question is do I really need head studs at the moment if I have Matt tweak my srl for the 155's without being studded? studds may be anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month or more depending on how much ot I can get at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 AM

Someone on here was running 190s on stock bolts i want to say Pizza Pig but I could be wrong
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 AM
The Silent Service

I really caution folks running heavier injectors on stock bolts. To be honest you won't see any power gain on the upper end with the stock nozzles. Simply can't inject the full injector charge with the short pulse width. On that note, you're plan isn't too far fetched.

I would look at other injector manufactures and make sure you know exactly what you are paying for.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dude if your at the injectors you at the head bolts. Pull them one at a time and replace with ARPs, second best option to pulling heads off, but better than running without. Once you that far into engine it's only an extra hour or two to install ARPs one at a time. Few good write ups on here about doing that. Just a thought.

Last edited by jetjock15; 03-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 AM

I asked a while ago about doing studs one at a time and ppl said that is half *** and not to waste my time or pay for someone to do that. Just saying. Has the view on that changed I know some magazines have been talking about doing it so just wondering
Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 AM

Doubt anyone's opinions have changed, but I think most agree its the second best option, better than not doing it. Lots of people running after the one-by-one method without issues. Don't over complicate it, think of it in simple terms. If your heads are not leaking now, the application of more clamp down power of studs ain't going to hurt anything. It's a known fact that if you have head gasket issues, doing the one at a time method surely won't fix anything
Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM

Ok so if you don't have problems now you shouldbt but if somethings on its way out its nor stopping it, but its better then stock head bolts.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 AM

OP, I think you will be fine. I ran my 155's with stock bolts for 5 months or so before doing studs. The truck DID end up blowing coolant out the degas bottle right before I put the studs in but no problems as long as I wasn't WOT. I could have made the stock gaskets last perfectly fine if I didn't drive this thing like a bat out of hell.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 AM

If they lift with stock injectors why would they not lift with larger than stock injectors?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Dude if your at the injectors you at the head bolts. Pull them one at a time and replace with ARPs, second best option to pulling heads off, but better than running without. Once you that far into engine it's only an extra hour or two to install ARPs one at a time. Few good write ups on here about doing that. Just a thought.
Funds is the issue, not enough to get the studs right now. Was planning on doing them one at a time. Big thing is I've been down to one vehicle between me and my wife since early january, trying to get it toware I can drive it back and forth to work until I get the funds for studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.