Intake manifold, 6.0 vs 6.4 CFM. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Intake manifold, 6.0 vs 6.4 CFM.

Has anyone ever CFM flowed a stock 6.0 intake against a 6.4 intake?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
not me, but is the 6.4 a direct bolt on to the 6.0?

I have searched, but haven't found a thread dealing with how to sub a 6.4 manifold. I have read that users of the 6.4 manifold are getting good results.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail your thread. Just thought this might be a place to get a quick answer from others who know.

Thanks.

Keith
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It bolts on, but needs to be modified. Like a alternator bracket, and plug the 6.0 front cover where the 6.0 manifold return coolant. Also on the 6.4 manifold there is a bolt mount that needs to be removed in order for the 6.0 to retain the oil filter housing. Then you would need to fabricate a new elbow and cold side CAC pipe.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

6.4 is not even close to bolt on... doesnt clear front cover without mods, needs custom cac tube, and alt bracket. if you want send me a pm and i can get you in the right direction.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Good catch Gary, on the drivers side runner, the runner will hit by the thermostat housing.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Has anyone ever CFM flowed a stock 6.0 intake against a 6.4 intake?
To answer your Question Rich, if anyone has done a side by side flow comparison, I bet Elite Diesel has. I would love to hear the flow numbers if they'd cough em up.

Either way though, to answer the next guy's question, there is A LOT that goes into making a 6.4 manifold able to bolt on and run on a 6.0. Now this isn't to say it isn't worth it or anything as it most certainly may be (depending on the truck owner). It is my opinion, that a fully ported 6.4 intake manifold is the best flowing intake mod for a 6.0. I think the only thing that might flow more is a tunnel ram system. But then you can't get a turbo in the valley. I know if I was going through all the trouble to convert a 6.4 intake manifold to bolt onto a 6.0, I would most certainly port it out. It may flow more in stock form than a stock 6.0 manifold, but I doubt stock form flows more than a ported 6.0 manifold like a gogo. Just my opinion of course.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

RCD sells a ported 6.4 for $600.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I would like to see if a stock 6.4 intake can drop EGT by 75-100. Even if its not a performance part for those running big injectors and turbo, the idea would be for for average modded 6.0 (tuner and exhaust).

Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bryan seen a 150 degree drop with the 6.4 intake conversion
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It really comes down to how easy you can make everything work. Not saying my attempt is the end all be all attempt, but I found that I had almost the same amount of time into doing everything on a 6.4 manifold just to get it to bolt onto a 6.0 motor as I had into just porting the 6.0 manifold in the first place. It really isn't just as easy as it seems. The alternator bracket is part of the puzzle. It's not hard to do if you have a jig for welding or a form for machining. But the IAT and MAP sensor bungs must be relocated as they will interfer with the alternator and hot side CAC tube and fabbing up the intake elbow and cold side CAC take time too. I guess it's all in what the end user wants. I'm just saying that from the manifolds that I have ported and worked on, the 6.0 is actually quicker to port than to modify the 6.4 manifold to fit the 6.0 and if one is going to go through the trouble of modifying everything to get it to work. You might as well do all the porting and patching you can to get the most flow possible. Hope this makes sense. Just sharing my experience here with the 6 or so manifolds that I have experimented with to see what is the best bang for the buck.

On edit: The RCD 6.4 manifold is only partially ported. It does remove the posts in the center of the flow though. The porting they do is VERY simple and easy to do and is really all a 6.4 manifold needs. I started out with the 6.4 manifold doing that to it, but then I go carried away and did some other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.