the AD2 nightmare continues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the AD2 nightmare continues

In less than a year, 4 motors, 2 upgraded wiring harness's, 2 regulators, 3 wrong filters and possibly a set of injectors due to fuel pressure related problems.

Moto2four has been a huge help through all of this.

Brand new motor, brand new 10gauge harness, left on the side of the road for who knows how many times now at work with no fuel pressure. Maybe the filter needs changing? Its been a couple months, not sure how many miles. I bought extra AD filters when I bought the unit. I was hoping to just buy a filter local now to avoid $10 shipping. Haha, not that easy. I drive and hour to my nearest international deal and have them cross reference Donaldson # P551315 to a Fleetgaurd filter, I buy two and drive home. They do not fit. They screw on but they hit the corner of the mounting bracket on the AD. So I made some adjustments to the bracket to allow it to clear, but nope, they do not screw on tight. It looks as if the metal flange inside the gasket is hitting a small black plastic piece on the AD. now in -$37 and some change. So I go to Napa, have the cross that same Donaldson number (that number is all over the forums as being the AD replacment filter) to a 2 micron Napa brand. Doesnt fit either, the gasket is slightly different and hits that black plastic piece on the AD. It goes on tight but wont make any pressure. I filled the filter and primed it, nothing. Now I'm another -$19.

What the hell is going on here? I didn't want to give AD another dollar but looks like I'm going to have to pay for thier filters and shipping. Maybe we can make this filter change more expensive!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Re: the AD2 nightmare continues

Which filter did you fill with fuel? I had a priming issue the other day when I changed filters. I eventually filled the water separator to the very top and that took care of the priming issue. I'll list the ebay link where I got my filters from shortly.

Last edited by 1fastTRX; 03-24-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM

These are the ones i just purchased and fit perfectly.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=01617461790
Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 AM

Just had my AD 2 replaced under warranty last week. Lasted about 9 months. Spend $600+ on a fuel system you think it would last. Not happy to say the least.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Just replaced a motor on my buddies Friday. $219 for the new motor. It's ridiculous how many issues people are having with air dog's.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 AM

I didn't turn in the warranty card so 2 years later I had to pay $219 for a pump and new warranty card. I think I'll mail this card in. Certified mail, email, everything, because I definitely wasn't happy about paying so I need to make sure this one goes through. I plan on trying to find an electric motor shop that can replace the armature. Also want to possibly find replacement seals just to see if I can find replacement parts.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
Just replaced a motor on my buddies Friday. $219 for the new motor. It's ridiculous how many issues people are having with air dog's.

What was his total bill? They charged me $249 total. Im guessing the $30 is shipping, but that sounds a bit expensive.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Are you guys using a sump with these or are you using the draw straw in the tanl to pull fuel? Also, who's running a reg. return. I know if you have a re. return with the air dog you should turn the AD all the way up and set the pressure at around 60-65psi at the regulator on the rear of the heads.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 AM

No sump yet. As far as the reg. return it's not necessary on the ad 2. Mine is up to 65.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelnc View Post
No sump yet. As far as the reg. return it's not necessary on the ad 2. Mine is up to 65.
The AD2 isnt what requires the return, it's the injectors that need the regulated return. With the dead head design of the heads on the 6.0l, a regulated return helps to feed all injectors equally. Now the ability to set the pressure lower, like at <60psi, is what helps the AD2. If the pressure is set too high, the AD will over work itself a die prematurely. You have to remember, the AD was designed as a lift pump, high volume low pressure, to then feed a high pressure pump (like an A1000 or equivalent), to then feed the injectors. I have heard of guys running a lower fuel pressure, like regulated return set to 50psi, with an AD and having no issues.

The biggest issue is that in a system were the AD is pulling from the tank (especially through the stock straw) and also pressurizing the fuel at the heads, its pulling double duty. This is not what the AD was designed for and is exceeding its limits, which leads to failure. The sump will definitely help as will the regulated return, but the system really needs a high pressure pump after the AD to be reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.