S&B CAI filter twisted - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S&B CAI filter twisted

I have had my S&B CAI on my truck for about 6 weeks now, and when I popped the hood today I looked at the filter cartridge the ridges are no longer straight, they are kind of twisted. Is this normal or should I be concerned about anything? The only thing I noticed about my truck (and this happened with the stock air filter) is that sometimes (not all the time) if I let off the throttle if accelerating hard that there is a weird sound coming from the engine compartment. I'm not sure if I can exactly describe the sound, but it sounds like a turbo blowing up on a modified tractor at a tractor pull. Like air rushing back out of the intake. I'm not sure if that makes sense at all, but I really don't know how to describe it. My boost is fine, and it doesn't happen all the time. Anyone got suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The sound is refereed to as "turbo fart". The twisted filter is another matter...maybe too restrictive.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
The sound is refereed to as "turbo fart". The twisted filter is another matter...maybe too restrictive.
Well glad to know I'm not the only thing gassy going down the freeway. Is it a bad thing or just normal? Hmm. Wonder how it could be restrictive, it flows more than stock, and I didn't really do anything to make the engine suck more oxygen. Did the zoodad mod as well.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 AM
N.S.D.Q.

It's not something you want to do deliberately all the time. With no blow off valve the compressed air has to go somewhere.

SURE it flows more than stock...that's what they tell you. Think about the effect of sucking on a small brown bag. You will collapse the bag. Maybe the filter isn't designed to have the rigidity to stand up to the turbo's demand for air.

My thoughts are if the filter collapses it's either not structurally rigid enough or it's restricting flow.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 AM

Yea the farting doesn't happen often, just wasn't sure what it was and thought it might have had something to do with the filter. As for the filter I will be calling S&B Monday and talking to them about it. It's supposedly designed for the 6.0, which has a turbo. And my turbo is stock, just an aftermarket 4" exhaust. Thanks for your help, puts my mind at ease about the farting. I was just praying it wasn't a sign of a turbo going bad.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Just understand how it happens, it can be bad in the long run.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Just understand how it happens, it can be bad in the long run.
That's a Big 10-4
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

Mstanek589, do you have the plexiglass top on the intake filter housing, or are you driving with it removed?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

I'm only asking because I have the same S&B intake on my 6.0 and I get the same 'farting' when letting off the throttle too fast. I'm gonna take off the plexiglass top tonight and go for a test drive and report back
Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKNCK73 View Post
I'm only asking because I have the same S&B intake on my 6.0 and I get the same 'farting' when letting off the throttle too fast. I'm gonna take off the plexiglass top tonight and go for a test drive and report back
Yes, mine does have the plexiglass top still on. That's actually a good idea, well at least a place to start, although I hope that's not the issue because I think the plexiglass looks sharp. Also, taking the plexiglass top off would kinda defeat the design of the intake in my opinion. Anyway lemme know what you find out. Is your filter cartridge twisted as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
intake, turbo, twisting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.