Would it be safe to run a tune for next couple of weeks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would it be safe to run a tune for next couple of weeks?

I have an 04 with 120,xxx miles on it, so far I've done an egr delete, replaced the oil cooler, did the fuel spring, I have a scangauge II, straight piped exhaust, coolant flushed after i bought the truck at 113,000. I have not lost a single drop of coolant, no puking so I'm assuming the HG's are still good. Truck runs like a top, i beat on it hard and havent had a single problem. My FICM voltage is always at 49.5, never drops below 48 under load. I change the oil very regurlay and with EOT and WT, i see a 10 degree split tops, but my water temp never gets above 182 and the oil only gets to 192 tops...so with the whole delta thing should i be worried considering my thermostat doesn't even open until 192 water temp? I run 285/75/16 tires. I have my ARP's and more than likely going to do a one for one, I just don't have the time right now. I also have guages, for fuel pressure, boost(both on scangauge and a-pillar) and egt. But I dont have the A-pillar gauges installed yet, but I always run the scan gauge. I plug my truck in below 30. I take care of the thing but i do drive it like i stole it. Would it be safe to run one of the preloaded SCT tunes for the next couple of weeks? I'm just impatient but also don't wanna blow possibly good HG's. I just wanna run the street tune. Whats ya'lls inputs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

No problem grasshopper. You will be fine! Lots of peeps have run it like that for years.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so you think I should'nt be too concerned? I'm uploading this tune now...gonna be conservitive though driving it. I just don't have the time to be down right now with work and all.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Compared to a custom tune, these are pretty tame, even the Performance tune. Now, if you play stop-light racer all day...

Keep in mind the PW is still fairly short and the timing is fairly conservative, nothing over 6*BTDC SOI and I don't believe the PW gets over 1.6 under heavy load, if I remember correctly. There are owners running tunes with the PW over 2.0 and 8-10* of advance without studs. If you don't beat on it all the time, it should work just fine.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, i can put a motor together and get around pretty well, but what is PW and how is it related to ignition timing?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive been running matts srl tune without studs for a couple years now with bigger injectors.. 170k + miles with no issues... Putting 175/30's and a new p-max in and no studs... Still should not have any issues.. Its all in how you treat the motor.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't plan on running stock head bolts for much longer, the studs are on my kitchen table right now...just waiting for some down time. Gonna do a one for one. I've heard all the horror stories before I bought this truck...searched high and low for a decent deal on one and getting a good trade for my 06 f-150. So far so good though...done most of the preventive stuff, just stayin on top of it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you are fine. trust me.. Just keep up on maint. and you wont have issues..
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, a little reassurance never hurts, I'm just sick of the lag when i hit the go peddle. Just got back from drivin on the sct street tune...not a huge difference, trans shifts harder but the lag definatly is alot less, spools up a little quicker...looking forward to doin the studs then gettin a custom tune. Seems a lot of people like the TSD pant dropper one.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

PW is pulse width. That is how long the injector is held open to deliver fuel.

SOI is start of injection. BTDC is before top dead centre. Stock is about -2.0 to about 3* BTDC. The motor is quiet. As the SOI is advanced, the CP (cylinder pressure) increases, especially with more PW. This is what gives you the large increase in torque. As the CP increases and SOI advances, you engine is noticeably noisier. Extreme tunes run about 13*BTDC and 2.6PW - hold on for the ride! This is hard on the engine and you would need studs for long-term survival.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.