School me, new to the 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
School me, new to the 6.0

Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I have searched and found somethings out but still had some questions. Just bought an 05 f-250 with 150k. First do these things run that good or do I have a programmer that I don't know about? has a superchips and banks sticker but the only thing that I can for sure tell it has is 4in strait pipe from the turbo out. Seems like this things runs a bit better than my 7.3 did with tunes? Couple of things I am not sure about is one of the wires on the block heater cord looks burned. Should I replace the whole thing or just the end cord? Another thing that could be totally normal is the starting this thing. I have had 2 7.3l and that is all the expierence I have had no expert. But one of the things I loved about the 7.3 was how it fired after starting. Everytime like it was saying lets do some shi!! this 6.0 seems be like waking up a grandma slow to get to a stable idle? I don't know, I have only had it a week I know I need to do some service so I know where everything it at I think first I am going to do fuel filters and I had the dealer do an oil change but when it is do does anybody use lucas in these? I used to put 2qt with the oil changes on the 7.3 not sure if it is a good idea on these saw some mixed opinions.. Any help is greatly appricated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

You probably read this before, get a monitor of some type. For this engine it will pay you back in spades if there is a problem or a condition developing that will lead to a problem. ScanGauge II is the least expensive but it works. I use DashBoss.

As a general rule, do not put any additives in your oil unless you are using one that is specifically for helping with injector oil-side stiction. 5w40 synthetic with OEM filters. Racor, Motorcraft, Sure.

The superchip is probably giving you the better than stock performance. It is somewhat limiting, so most have a SCT device of some type to load tunes. If the truck is near stock tuning, it will not bark as loud on a start as with an aggressive tune. However, it should start in a few seconds if the oil system is good when cranking from a cold start.

You should just be able to replace the cord sometime this year. Don't buy the $80 one from Ford, there are many out there for $30 or less that are just as good. Some are less than $15.

Two words: regular maintenance. These are words to live by for a happy truck.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Read the stickies and there is plenty of stuff to learn. There is also the 6.0 Tech Files section as well.

From your startup description it sounds like you have a case of injector stiction. Try a couple of bottles of Rev-X and see if that doesn't clear it up. If not you will have to pull the injectors and polish the spool valves.

You need to run a synthetic 5w40 oil like Rotella T6. Your motor will be much happier with you if you do.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Thank you both for the responses. I was looking at the cts but didn't what to do about programming since I don't know what I have already. And I planned on doing an EGR delete but didn't know what programm I needed to make sure I don't get a MIL. And from what I have found are studs just for people running big boost numbers or is this a need on every 6.0?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Studs, nice to have, but not needed unless you advance the timing or go big fuel tune. I am sure many will say otherwise, but I ran 2 engines, one for a few years with a true +100hp tune without problems. Then the studs were changed one at a time, without new headgaskets. Of course, I didn't beat on it too hard, but one day I did almost 20 launches and when it puked, I thought I had broke it. All it turned out to be was a flash boil from the EGR cooler. I changed the studs and did the EGR delete shortly after that. That engine has run flawlessly since doing that in 2009. The second one got the studs after a few months of owning it.

SCT and a lot of custom tunes will turn off the MIL for the EGR delete. You can always just leave it in position with the delete installed.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Awesome, Thanks again. been looking at tuners kinda confusing a bit. I want to go with and cts style gauge and looks like sct is the way to go on programming. Here is a picture of the truck I think I did ok got it for 19k
Attached Thumbnails
School me, new to the 6.0-05-f-250-3.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Great looking truck man, congrats.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:10 PM

thats a sweet looking ride you got there
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Beautiful truck. Love that bumper!!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Thank you ALL!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.