my MTW stage 1 billet experience - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my MTW stage 1 billet experience

This will be a runnin thread, I will keep you updated. I got my warren 155/30s and the MTW stage 1 with billet wheel installed tonight and got to do about 30 minutes of test driving and tried a couple different tunes.

The billet wheel stage 1 did not surge at all.

The first tune I tried was built for a powermax & 155s because my tuner has not worked with MTW yet and wanted to start there. With this tune the turbo spooled very slow and boost was very low. max boost in low 20s and high egts. I was spraying out black smoke all over the place - my truck has never done that - kind of fun to see.

then I loaded up my tunes I had previous, built for stock injectors and stock turbo. blew black smoke off idle, but not as bad. Turbo performed about as well as stock I would say, boost jumped pretty quick and maxed in the high 20s, I seen 28 psi once or twice. It seemed to get better towards the end of my test drive - and we know from experience - this is to be expected. I sent an email to Jodi (DP Tuner) with these inputs and asked him to send me a tune built for a stock turbo and 155s, and let me try that. From there we can tweak.

To early to give a good review, and I will not have the benefit of comparing stock to MTW turbo fairly because I upgraded to 155s at the same time and have no idea how the stock turbo would have done. I did see a lot of black smoke today, and that is a first for me.

Overall, im very happy that the turbo does not surge, and I have already seen 27psi on the fist test drive. Everything else is in the tuning, I will get it hooked it up.

Special thanks to Adrain for getting my turbo turned quick. I have a 800 mile trip this saturday and I told him I wanted it this week if at all possible, he made it happen. For a one man operation he does a great job.

I will update this post when I get the new tunes and test drive, hopefully tomorrow.

Side note:
My injectors kind of lope when i'm slowing down and the engine is idling, once at a complete stop it idles normal. Did it on all the tunes I tried, even ones that I have run with stock injectors that didnt do that - is that normal? Please answer in my other thread I posted about that to keep this one on track. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Rob, I know you tow heavy. When do you expect to hook up the camper?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Rob, I know you tow heavy. When do you expect to hook up the camper?

Sir, I am doing a tour at the Pentagon right now so i am out of my normal routine and my trailer is in storage and my toys are in my garage. I am planning on pulling it out in the middle of may to do a short camping trip with family, for me to test the truck. However it will not be with the standard 4k lbs of off road toys I normally haul, or the 1400lbs of water or 600lbs of fuel, so the trailer will only be about 14k, but still will be a good test. I will post a review for sure.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Thank you, looking forward to your tow review.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rob, put the last performance tune you had for the stock turbo, and go from there. The MTW don't like the powermax tunes, they like the performance stock turbo tunes. As far as you lope, it is normal when you go to bigger injectors.

Here's what you should do but it's up to you. First put the performance stock turbo tune on, and have you tuner pull some fuel at the low end to get rid of the black smoke. Next get on here and tell me what your egt's are at wide open throttle, boost wide open and boost at cruise along with egt's. If you would like I can talk with the tuner to help them get it nailed quicker.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Thanks Adrain! I'm I'm DC bro, I don't know where I'm going to get WOT! This city is to cramped. I also just got brand new nitto trail grapplers. These test drives not doing then any good - lol! I will let Jodi know and keep you posted.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Thanks Adrain! I'm I'm DC bro, I don't know where I'm going to get WOT! This city is to cramped. I also just got brand new nitto trail grapplers. These test drives not doing then any good - lol! I will let Jodi know and keep you posted.
Try in the mall area, between the Lincoln Monument and the Smithsonian, lots of room in there.

Oh and by the way his name is spelled Jody, not Jodi.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm sure you guys will get it nailed down Rob. This turbo is a nasty little thing let me tell you.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM

Here is tonights update: Jody sent me a tow and performance tune reworked for the MTW from yesterdays which were tunes based on Powermax. Much better....

This turbo never surges, and it does not even bark/fart on decel, ever - wow.

I loaded the Tow tune first, than the performance, and then went back to tow. It works great.

The tow tune boosted to 29psi a few times, most instances about 24-26. The egts at WOT max were about 1250-1300. No black smoke.

The Performance tune ripped. Boost well into the mid 30s, seen 34-35 range instanoues which backed down to 30-32. Egts did climb to about 1350 and I ran out of road and gear(4.56s I can only do about 90). No Smoke.

Bottom line is this turbo doesnt surge, and it can boost. It hits about the same boost numbers as my stock turbo did with Jody's tow and performance - and it doesn't surge. Even my stock turbo surged on Jody's tunes with the power really came on - the reason I wanted a new turbo to begin with. For anybody who uses this new MTW billet stage 1 and has low boost, its your tunes. As I have always said, Jody has more experience than anyone out there, no contest, he can always help you out.

Fams taking a 800 mile spring break round trip, leave sunday, will run the tow tune (not towing) the entire time. Hopefully my truck will learn the new mods and will really run great. I run a tow tune because I like the way it shifts and the mild onset of power. I have a performance tune for rare occasions when im at the dunes and have an itch!

Anyway, very happy, cannot wait to tow. I will pull my trailer out the second weekend of may just to tow it to a campground to take family out (really to test!). That will really be the true test because I built this setup to tow. The toyhauler will be empty and weight about 14k, but it will be a descent test. I will post a short update to this thread after my 800 mile trip this weekend and then post a new thread when I tow in May.

Thanks to this forum for suggesting this turbo. Thanks to MTW for hooking it up.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's awesome man. I'm really interested to hear how it does for you when you go towing across the desert again. Glad it's working out for you. The billet wheel makes the Stage 1 a honey of a turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.