Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

$2000 To Spend On My 6.0

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  scrapecc 
#1 ·
Hey guys. New to the 6.0 group, well new to the whole diesel group altogether haha. Anyway, I picked up a 2004 6.0L last weekend (details in my signature) and I am ready to begin upgrading. After doing a lot of reading on here, I have decided to start with these parts. Please let me know your thoughts, opinions, or even suggestions for alternate parts. I am open to any ideas. After all, you guys have a lot more experience than me. Here is the list.

-Basic Solution for Powerstroke 6.0L with Sinister EGR Delete, Oil Cooler and Intake Gaskets
-SCT3000 X3 Power Flash Handheld Programmer/Scan Tool
-Sinister Coolant Filtration System
-Edge Insight CTS w/ EGT Probe
-6.0 Powerstroke Kit (blue spring kit, updated oil drain tube, turbo feed line, degas bottle cap and stand pipe/dummy plug kit)

I found all of these parts at MKMcustoms. Again, please let me know if you have any suggestions on something that I should do differently, or in place of something on my list. Thanks guys!!

#2 ·
If you have $2000. I highly recamend a bulletproof deisel oil cooler kit the one with oem filter and a monitor. If you can still swing it, a cheap $100 egr delete.

That will be a HUGE step in helping your 6.0, all the other stuff is small and can be done at anytime later.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into getting the updated parts from a dealer as opposed to using a middle man. I suppose that does make more sense seeing as how all the parts are OEM from Ford, correct?

#6 ·
I would suggest the IPR coolant filter rather than the Sinister. Your list is a good one but the above suggestion with the BPD oil cooler is a very good idea.

#7 ·
i think you got a great list , the only thing i would add is mabey a custom tune , looks like fun , lots of good threads here to help ya along the way

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely be looking into the BPD oil cooler and looking up Tousley Ford for the upgrade parts

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
So..... after doing some more reading and some more reading after that, I am wondering if I really need the BPD oil cooler kit right now. I see there are a lot of people that aren't running it and they are doing just fine. I don't tow a lot, maybe 3 or 4 times a year and it's usually a small boat or small enclosed trailer. The majority of the time that I have weight in the truck is in the winter when I have my sled deck in the bed with 2 sleds on it (maybe 1600 lbs). I know there are the people who are going to say "The BPD cooler is an absolute must!" I'm not looking for those responses, just some real world logic on whether or not it is a must over the OEM and supporting facts. At the very least, I will be replacing the OEM cooler with a new OEM cooler. Thanks.

#12 ·
There's some level-headed thinking!

As was stated above, get a monitor, flush the coolant system, and add a coolant filtration system. The blue-spring mod is also advised.

FYI, my current '07 6.0 has been the most trouble-free truck I have ever owned. It currently has 174,xxxmi., and the list above has been added along with one FICM, and the dummy plugs/stand-pipes o-rings have been replaced, the rest is as it was shipped from the factory.

Prior to my current '07 I had an early '04, which was also for the most part anyways, trouble-free. I drove that one approx. 125,000mi. before trading it in on my '07.

I didn't post to brag, just wanted to give you an example of how dependable these trucks can be, without spending your kids college tuition.

#13 ·
^^^^^ That's the kind of response I was looking for. Real world application without spending ALL of my budget on one part that I may or may not need. Thanks!!

#14 ·
It's a crap shoot, you MIGHT not ever need anothe oem oil cooler, but with the bpd oil cooler you KNOW you will never need another oil cooler.

#15 ·
i work on 6.0's all the time. Honestly a BPD oil cooler kit is nice yes, is it needed no. With a good coolant flush and filter like IPR filter, it will keep the system clean and the oil cooler free of stuff. I have never seen the point in spending that kinda money on a oil cooler delete kit. if its done once and done right it will last a long time. Now im not downing the product as its super nice and does a great job for sure! but with a new oem cooler and egr delete and monitor so that you can keep an eye on everything then your really good to go! also i would check out IPR's egr delete. its super nice and one piece so no leaks and cheaper than sinisters! im not a sales rep for IPR i just like some of there stuff better thats all.

#16 ·
Thanks for the insight on the IPR stuff. I'm not set on sinister, I just saw there stuff and it seemed like good stuff. I will be checking into the IPR stuff before I make my purchase. I also plan on doing a thorough flush when I install the EGR delete, new oil cooler and coolant filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#17 ·
Hands down if you have the money buy the bpd oil cooler. You will thank yourself a million times later. TRUST ME we know. All the other parts upgrade a cheap and easy to buy at tousley any day of the week. I would take the bpd upgrade over anything you have listed

#18 ·
Man, I guess I'm cheap. I'd put a filter on it, weld up the egr, throw a new oil cooler in since I had it that torn down and just run it. Total investment, under 300 bucks. 375 if you had to pay someone t weld it up. I've seen many trucks run just fine, then a guy tears a perfectly good running truck apart and goes OMG my heads have cracks in them and I need studs, oh and I also better put a 2,100 dollar oil cooler on this thing. 6 k later they have a truck that runs the same as it did before. Waste to me if you don't "really" need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.