Gauges? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauges?

I have a stock f550 that I plan on towing with and was wondering what everyone's option was on what gauges to put in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I went with the Edge set up and it can pretty much cover what you need with the addition of a egt sensor. Way easy to install and seems to work good. Even for a moron like me!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^^hey are you folowing me.....lol

Like he ^^ said real simple way is to get an Edge insight CS or CTS with EGT probe thats what i have and then you can expand on it as much as you want. I also have their fuel presure sensor. Can also monitor EBP now. Some really like the SCT Live wire if you are planning on getting tunes that way it is all on one unit. Just get something fast so you can see the health of your truck
Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Retired Army

Mike,
I did both gauges and an Edge CTS in my 04 F250 and here are some observations:

Gauges are about $350 for a 4-gauge kit with pillar pod. The pillar pod is useful, but will give you the "jet ****pit" look. I purchased a 4-gauge kit with pod from GlowShift and while I like having the gauges, and I don't mind the look, they do take some getting used to. You also lose the grab handle on the driver's side. Additionally, at least for the GlowShift gauges, they're VERY bright at night (and that bright glow is entirely up the A-pillar where there isn't supposed to be any light).

Edge CTS is about $379 and displays those parameters (PIDs) available from the OBDII port. The benefit to the CTS is it can display multiple "gauges" on a single 4" screen. However, there are some parameters the CTS cannot get from the OBDII port (EGT and fuel pressure for instance).

If I were to do this again, I think I'd purchase the CTS, with EGT probe first, and then add individual gauges as needed. I did it backwards and probably spent a little more than I needed. I also now have 3 gauges and the CTS on the A-pillar and the 4th gauge on the steering column. I wrote about my gauge install here if you're interested.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM

Scan gauge 2 is a good one butis not expandable to read anything else but you can get 90% of what u need wirh a small monitor for 160ish
Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

Currently I have the EDGE. My plan is to use ISSPRO fuel pressure, HPOP pressuer, and pyrometer. The rest will be handled by my EDGE. All these mounted in a 4 pod pillar mount.

k
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gauges?

If you have a iOS device (iPad/iTouch/iPhone), check out DashBoss.

$170 for the OBDII module, $30 for fuel psi, and $100 for EGT. This puts you at $300 for complete 6.0 monitoring.

http://dashboss.myshopify.com/

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Retired Army

I have Torque Pro on my Acer tablet but I have no place to mount the tablet and the cheapo Bluetooth OBDII adapter ($24 on Amazon at the time) died about 2 weeks into using it. Personally I don't like the phone / tablet apps for continuous monitoring (I prefer the CTS / gauges) but some do like Dashboss / Torque Pro and it works for them (I think I'm suffering from "old dog new trick" syndrome). However, the Dashboss / Torque Pro solution is perfect for checking out that new vehicle you / someone else you know wants to buy. And if that solution works for you, you've saved money and have a portable solution you can use on a potential purchase and one you'll keep if you sell your truck.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Dash boss is a great one everyone that uses it pretty much sticks with it.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Retired Army

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of the Dashboss / Torque Pro but for me, and after using an Adroid-based solution and the CTS, I prefer the CTS with gauges. The biggest disadvantage to CTS / gauges is the gauges probably won't be removed when the truck goes on to the next owner so you're out the cost of the gauges (but I had my last vehicle 10 years before this truck so I'm not thinking the F250 is going away anytime soon). I also really like the portability of the Dashboss / Torque Pro solution and the ease with which the desirable device can be removed from the truck (lessens the appeal of a smash-and-grab theft).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.