I have a little project this summer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a little project this summer

As some of you know, one of my friends(kdogg85) blew a hole in his block. Now he has a dodge under the hood. Well, the guy that bought his engine and tranny didn't use all the parts that came with it. I bought the ported and polished heads, outlaw headers, ADII,and 205/100 injectors for $1200. So, with these goodies laying in the basement just shaking to be put to use and abuse again, I (with the wife's blessing) have decided to install them this summer. I am going to yank the motor and go through it, full re gasket, bearings, and re ring( had a smoking issue I can't track down for anything.) And I am going with new rods and pistons, as insurance.

Now down to the fun part, I am going to use the air dog as a pusher and feed a fuel lab hp pump. Does this sound like a reliable setup, plus I am making my own reg return. Oh, and a colt will be in the valley seeing as I am going to dismember the engine anyway. I will have an NADP trans in there as well.

As for a turbo, I am going to use a 366 since I don't tow anything anymore other than a bass boat.

Sound like something reasonable at least for the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Don't just re-ring the motor, especially if you're buying pistons anyway...how many miles are on the block you're going to be using? If you're serious order a good set of forged pistons from diamond or the like. If your block has more than 100k miles on it, you'll have more wear in the cylinder walls than I would recommend putting back together with stock pistons...it won't cost much to have the block bored and honed...I assume you were gonna have a machine shop clean it and magnaflux it for you anyway? It won't cost but a couple hundred more to have it bored and honed...pales in comparison to the cost of a set of carillos. You should also look at the harland sharp rocker arms...swapping heads and rockers and all can be dangerous, especially if you don't know what the valve height was set at...plus the OE rockers are total garbage...there's as much as .100" difference in lifter preload from one rocker to the next. Anyway good luck...if you have any questions during the build/rebuild pm me.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am going to have it checked out. It's getting honed at a minimum, and I was thinking h beams for rods anyway, plus main studs. Hadn't thought about rocker arms yet. I did check the heads and they are true flat. I know the drivers side had .002 and the pass had .004 removed when they were off before.

As for pistons, assuming the relative compression test I done is worth anything, the bores should be ok. They are getting mic'd regardless, but I was thinking coated stockers or coated forged. I have the money to pretty much do whatever, but don't want to send it more stupidly than I am.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah I forgot to mention if the block is out, have it decked too...you don't really deck heads for straightness or flatness but more for surface finish. The block is often forgotten about...and probably to blame for white a few head gasket failures where the block prep or block surface finish wasn't adequate. Both the heads and block really need to be as smooth as possible.

I'm looking into solid roller options for the lifters to find a much more viable options price wise. That combined with adjustable rocker arms and good pushrods would do away with the major weak link as far as longevity goes. If you order custom pistons, spend the money wisely...order forged, the coatings help some, but you'll definitely want to lower the compression ratio a hair...how much boost you plan to run will determine by how much you'll drop the c/r. Keep us posted...could be a good build to keep an eye on this summer. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
why on earth did he install a gas motor in his truck, i was unaware DODGE made anything else....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.