Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

which mtw should i get

3K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  jmeaby 
#1 ·
So I wasnt originally going to even mess with anything like this but start looking at stuff and now I want a new turbo. I was just wondering what some differencesare between the stage 1 mtw and the hybrid are. If I went with the hybrid would I need any upgrades to my fueling system or can i drop the hybrid in and go? Its my understanding the stage 1 can work with stock tuning however I am getting idp for some custom tuning. If I get custom tunes writen for my stock turbo would they need rewriten for either of these setups? last question for now is would i def need my heads studded at this point with either of the turbos

#2 ·
Get a stage 1 with new billet wheel ..... Also talk to Adrian he is a good guy and will walk you through getting the correct setup

#3 ·
What is the best way to contact him? Email?

#4 ·
Hybrid, I love mine

#5 ·
It all depends on what you wanna do with the truck...I would tend to say go a little bigger now with the hybris rather than smaller in case you want to get into injectors or something later. I know there's a few guys running hybrids with stock injectors with good results.

#6 ·
So the hybrid isn't to big of a turbo for stock injectors? Or is it just about on the edge of as big as you can get. If I get bigger injectors they would only be 155's because I will also tow with this truck. With a new turbo will that increase my boost at all and would a new turbo mean I should get the truck studded?

#7 ·
If it were me I would go with the stage one. are you planning on going up injectors? what are your goals? do you tow much with the truck?

#8 ·
No the hybrid isn't to big for stock injectors. Thats what I'm running. Have to try real hard to get any smoke outta this thing. Super clean now

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
id it change your mileage at all I would assume faster spool up and more air would equal better mileage

#11 ·
If your worried about mileage, skip the mods bro. You will never make your money back in mileage in these parts. Pay to play - I have no idea what milage I get not towing, doesn't matter, love the truck, got places to be, will buy fuel. If it matters save your funds. You will not get better milage/cost savings in long run based on $1000s in mods. People are going to post otherwise, keep your own spreadsheet and do post when you mods pay you back in fuel savings - doesn't happen.

#10 ·
If I got the.hybrid would.I have to.have a new tune written for.it?

#12 ·
I've got to agree with JetJock. My truck gets about the same mileage maybe 1mpg more on the highway now with all my mods than it did with just a tuner only. Although it is alot more fun to drive now!

#13 ·
I'm just wondering I'm not overly concerned about making my money back I want a truck that is more fun then it is now not looking at making any money back. I am curious though if I put a stage 1 or hybrid on would I need to make sure that the truck had studs? If it would make my truck less reliable I'm waiting till I get studs done anyone have any input? My egr is already blocked off so I don't have to worry about coolant messing with anything

#14 ·
Jet jock that is one awesome pic with the truck hooked up to the city wheel bro

#15 ·
(My egr is already blocked off so I don't have to worry about coolant messing with anything not ) not completely true !!

#16 · (Edited)
I'm waiting on a stage 1 (with new billet wheel) as we speak.

I haven't studded or egr deleted my truck (yet). I talked to Adrian about I wanted out of my truck, which is a DD that I want to tow with some and the Stg 1 with the new wheel is what he suggested.

I have no plans on ever doing injectors or looking for high HP but I do have a street tune that I run and Adrian said that tune should be fine for the Stg 1.

#17 ·
The Stage 1 with the new wheel is turning out to be a monster. GREAT TURBO. Will run wonderful on stock injectors and support up to 175/30's (respectively) with little smoke as long as the right tuning is in place. I would say from my experience with sh*tloads of MTW turbo's, this is the poison for you my friend. You will be able to run stock tuning, tow all day long to the trucks maximum rated capacity and still make great power on a race tune. Chris G (Super Diesel- President GPDA) made 475rwhp and 940+rwtq on his Stage 1 with bat-mo.

I think the Stage 1 with the new Billet wheel will be the best turbo for you and your truck. ARP's aren't required, but as with any mod, I'd start saving my money for them anyhow. Contact me with any questions you may have and I'll get you squared away.

#19 · (Edited)
The Stage 1 with the new wheel is turning out to be a monster. GREAT TURBO. Will run wonderful on stock injectors and support up to 175/30's (respectively) with little smoke as long as the right tuning is in place. I would say from my experience with sh*tloads of MTW turbo's, this is the poison for you my friend. You will be able to run stock tuning, tow all day long to the trucks maximum rated capacity and still make great power on a race tune. Chris G (Super Diesel- President GPDA) made 475rwhp and 940+rwtq on his Stage 1 with bat-mo.

I think the Stage 1 with the new Billet wheel will be the best turbo for you and your truck. ARP's aren't required, but as with any mod, I'd start saving my money for them anyhow. Contact me with any questions you may have and I'll get you squared away.

Matt, it looks like I'm not all that far from ya. Maybe 1-1.5 hour ride, if I come via 278 thru Piedmont, Al and Cedartown, Ga.

Yeh, I can't wait for my turbo to get here. I paid for it over a month ago but Adrain told me last week he was still waiting on the wheels to come in

#25 ·
So the stage 1 with the new wheel is your recommendation ? What are the differences between stage 1 and the hybrid ill send u a pm

#28 ·
OK guys, I recommend each customer a turbo that would best suite their individual needs. In most cases when someone never has plans to upgrade injectors, A Stage 1 is the best choice. It will allow you to run a stock tune, still give an increase in power and spool time and is very easy on the pocketbook.Even if you upgrade to 155's you're golden, add the billet wheel and you're good into a set of 175's.

The Hybrid runs great with stock injectors, but is best suited for something bigger. If you're running stock injectors now but plan on going up to something as big as 190's, this is a great turbo.

The Stage 2 again is a GREAT turbo and I loved running it. This turbo moves some air. It runs well with stock injectors, but really shines when you throw the fuel to it. I would absolutely love to run a Stage 2 with the new billet wheel and my 180's. That may be what happens, we'll see.

The difference between the Hybrid and Stage 2 is the AR of the compressor housing. The Hybrid is a .58 where as the Stage 2 is .72. The Hybrid also comes with a billet wheel standard while the Stage 2 comes with the cast wheel and the billet is an upgrade.

I'm returning an azzload of PM's so I hope this info helps. Please PM me with any questions. I'll get back to you, though it may take a day or two. Chances are I'm gonna send you my number and tell you to call so we can discuss it, so I'll list that here too. 404-713-3111.

#29 ·
this is part of why i choose mtw for my turbo. anyone associated with adrian they have great customer service

#30 ·
and a quick question what is the difference between the hybrid and the stage 1

#31 ·
The Hybrid has a bigger compressor wheel. The housings utilize the same AR on the Stage 1 and Hybrid. The Stage 1 is the same size as a PMax. I think it goes without saying, but the Hybrid has a bigger price tag as well.:thumb:

#32 ·
I'll be calling in a couple of hours but any comparing the hybrid and the stage 1 his Adriana New billet wheel?

#33 ·
Anyone out there towing with either stage 1 or the hybrid?

#35 ·
How did you like it I assume lower egt Im sure your truck has more then just a.different turbo but just wondering, and when is the best time to call I don't wanna wake you up or bug you while your at work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.