DC power alternator - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DC power alternator

Ok so my truck 2006 Harley model only has 1 alternator. On long trips etc voltage always settled in at 13-13.4. Had my ficm fixed and decided to order a dc power oem 185 after talking to Ed a ficm repair. Well this weekend while waiting for alt, the truck voltage when started after glows voltage only came up to 12.6 twice while do errands. Parked truck knew I had an issue didn't wanna smoke ficm. Today I installed the dc power. Had my batts unplugged since yesterday waiting for new alt took old one out. Before hooking up batts I checked with a meter, 12.9 on both. And they passed a load yet while ficm was out. Got alt all bolted in started truck and immediate difference.
Well I have been having blue smoke issues for about a month now since atlas 40. Got worse past week. Would smoke out a bunch at idle take off and sometimes at idle period. Also tranny started shifting funny hanging up shifting outta third sometimes softer shifts all around. Well got truck warmed up took for a couple mile ride and smoke is damn near gone. Jut the usual (as I'm told) puff at take off 90% less than before used to be a mini cloud. Tranny shifted firm and smooth again like it used to. So long story short even though my numbers on cts always were within parameters the truck was telling me something wasn't right. I know now cause alt did take a dump anyway, only at idle higher rims would be 13.6 to 13.8. So to all the fellas with smoke tranny problems triple check power station first. I will be going to work soon and whi,e monitor next couple days to see if it stays status quo or I have a real problem. Thanks for your time josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Thats good to know. Just to see where mine stood last year, even with no signs of trouble, I had mine tested, and it tested bad. So I agree, no bells and whistles does not mean that you don't have a problem. Are you going to do the Wiring mod that Ed recommends? Meaning, installing a wire directly from the alternator output to the battery. I have a stock alternator so I was going to put in a 4 ga wire with 125 amp fuse. With out looking at a table, you would have to go larger. Any known pros/cons?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 PM

No wiring mod i dont pull much more current than stock other than a trailer and plug in cooler. Drive to work lots less smoke. Small puffs only from dead stop. Little black little blue sometimes. No smoke that i saw at idle. Burried pedal to floor on high shifts great. The response with the truck just plan feels different. Much more responsive
Old 03-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DC power alternator

I used 2/0 and cleaned up the grounds to the frame and engine

Last edited by Term3; 03-06-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

My truck seemed to run better after the new alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.