Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Billet Torque Converter - Buy one get one 50% off

10K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  portcity_gt 
#1 ·
So, I spoke with Gary, G2shuck, a few nights ago, very smart guy. He informed me that Patc has a deal where you buy one and get 50% off the second, or two for 25% off each. I need one...if anyone else is considering one let me know and maybe we can both save some money. I just called and spoke with PATC to get some info, they offer two converters for the 5r110, a billet and a non billet. The billet is what I'll be doing, it Costs $899 and is what jesse warren uses in his 850 HP sled pulling truck. The guy at patc said that warren orders a whole bunch of these, I've heard that's what his brother Andy uses in the transmissions they build. The stall is about 300 lower than stock...the stock stalls at about 2000 rpm and the patc will stall about 1650-1700 he said. Just throwing some info out there on the converter. Feel free to talk with patc directly for more info. 1-888-201-2066. They also have a regular non billet one for about 650 I think.

Like I said, I need one...if you need one too let me know, be a good chance to get a good converter for a discount. They're 900 each, but with 25% off it puts them at 675 each which is a killer deal and makes this a pretty affordable upgrade.

#2 ·
actually stock stall isn't 2000rpm. It's more in the 1800 range.

#3 ·
That's what I thought too, but everyone, and I mean every converter shop I've spoken with said 2k. Honestky anything stock stall or lower is fine with me. I'm too worried about onenconvertee being 100 Rpm lower than the competition or not.

I do know for 675 these are killer converters...they're a good deal at 900 but crazy deal at 675. I had decided on a PI converter via bts but I cant argue with 675, I'm sure its a good converter, I mean sled pulling is hard as crap on parts...and warren has a ton of passes on his.

#4 ·
actually andy doesnt use PATC anymore and jessie is switching to a PI converter in his truck. They either use a DPC converter or PI converter now

#5 ·
Sweet did you wanna go in on a patc converter with me...didn't think so. Lol but thanks for sharing.

Yeah, warren said he just to try something else see how it worked. Andy had a dispute over shipping or something with patc and i think that had something to do with the switch. I know he has tons of pulls on his patc. I'm sure they're both good. If patc has changed anything with their converters I haven't seen it anywhere. I don't doubt the quality of patc or pi.

#6 ·
just wanted to set the record straight thats all. dont know how many people would be willing to jump on this. not to many people over here like patc but it is a sweet deal

#15 ·
Price is 899 normally, but if you buy 2 you get 50% off the second...or effectively 25% off each, making them 675 each which is a killer deal for a billet converter, especially one that seems to be proven to hold up. Let me know if you're ready to buy one, I'm gonna call Jesse warren tomorrow and see what he has to say about it, but the guy at patc said he has sold tons of them to Jesse and others, and couldn't think of any warranty issues...for what that's worth.

I haven't heard any issues with them, like a legitimate failure...has anyone else?

Patc is about 6 miles from my house.
What else can you tell us about them? How's their operation look?

I live 10 miles from twisted diesel. I'm not here to badmouth them, but I'm not using them if that says anything. Too many horror stories, but more importantly what I've seen there, and from our dealings with them via the company I work for, I won't be using them. So...that's why I am most curious about what port city says about patc first hand.

PM sent sorry for the derail Jared
No worries...the more people that read this the better chance one of them will be someone who was considering a tc and might actually want to go in on the deal.

#8 ·
The price (as mentioned) is $675. It was kind of buried. It is a heck of a deal for sure and at least has held up in one truck really well. I will say that they look like quality pieces but I have no experience as to whether they are good or not. I know Gary will be running one here soon in his truck. So I guess we'll see.

#10 ·
Patc is about 6 miles from my house.

#12 ·
I was not saying andy his not doing PI or DPC. you are correct there he now gives you the option to run PATC, PI, DPC, or precision on new hampton when you order a trans from him. I was just stating that jesse is not putting a PI in his pulling truck. He is having a converter custom built with a 2800rpm stall by a company that has not been mentioned in this thread. Sorry i came off as an ******* I was just trying to make sure people did not think that jesse was switching to something else becuase of bad luck with the PATC. He has had zero isues with it.

#13 ·
its cool no hard feelings.... yea jess hasnt had any problems with it i just like to stick with whats proven. and last i talked with jess he was doing that but again that was awhile ago. and andy isnt dealing with PofH anymore because they screwed him on my converter and told him to basically pound sand.

#18 ·
I'll let you know what he says, thanks.

It's a pretty nice shop. Been around for several years now.
One of their ex employees built the trans in my race car, I have never done business directly with the shop though.
Cool, thanks. Not to badmouth, but a certain other shop I may or may not have mentioned has a bunch of young guys workin there, with a bunch of their friends standing around drinkin beer while they half *** work. It was pretty sorry looking, junk piled everywhere, clutter everywhere, everything filthy. How a shop presents itself kinda says a lot about the kind of work they do...attention to detail. I'm fairly young too, so I'm not knocking td for that, and some of the best engine builders are scatter brained with crap everywhere in their shop, but not my first choice. Anyway, not to ramble on forever about them...but it's good to know that PATC seems to be decent. Glad we have a mole on the inside...next we need you to snap some pics from the torque converter assembly room :thumb:

#17 ·
It's a pretty nice shop. Been around for several years now.
One of their ex employees built the trans in my race car, I have never done business directly with the shop though.

#19 ·
Converters are on their way, got a member on here to go in with me, ill write a full review of it all once its all done. I'll probably take Gary up on his offer and just send my trans to him for a beefed up 5r110. Hopefully I'll be all done with transmission woes after this, and maybe it'll help the patc reputation here reach that of pi.

#20 ·
Just so there is no mystery here I am the one that went in with Jared on the torque converters. I was planning to buy stuff from PATC to build my transmission in the next couple of months anyway so it just made sense to throw in with Jared for the discount. Makes it a win/win for both of us.

#22 ·
Oh, Mitch is now a mystery man.... :D Keep us posted, guys. That's a SWEET deal on a TC!

#23 ·
Oh, Mitch is now a mystery man.... :D Keep us posted, guys. That's a SWEET deal on a TC!
No, I'm not. I outed myself. :D Yeah I appreciate it Jared but I figured I'd just put it out there. None of the other details on my build have been held back. No reason for this to be either. I'll be rebuilding the trans with the PATC Level 4 full billet parts kit to go along with the new converter.

#24 ·
Sweet, yeah I've been talking with Gary about the sun coast iron PAC 3 kit or whatever it is. What are your thoughts on the sun coast stuff mitch? Uses alto clutches...I think Gary said an extra clutch on each gear set than the other kits out there?

I don't plan on going crazy power wise...i would love to hit 600 at the wheels but I know that's very optimistic on 175's. I'm thinking if I touch up my heads and maybe go up from the hybrid it might be attainable. Or maybe I'll just run some 190's...I keep telling myself I don't care what the numbers are...but 600 sure sounds cool lol.

#29 ·
What would be a difference in the kits then, perhaps î should read about the patc kit lol.

Dang looks like I missed out

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sounds like nate might be looking for someone if it holds up to my beatings...and mitches 700 hp lol

If this whole thing works out, does anyone want to go in with me on one??
You can bet im gonna test the ever living crap outta this thing, not that itd compare to warrens pullin truck, but im not known for being easy on stuff at all. Lol

#26 ·
I would have done it because I'm local......but I don't want to pull my trans unless its broke lol.

#53 ·
Two years later......i now have a 6.4 transmission and patc billet converter lol.
Its working good so far.

#32 ·
One guy told me theyd ship em desperately but I called back the next day to order and apparently the boss said no, for the discount needed to be one order. Pm g2shuck, Gary...he just got his patc dealer license set up, he might be able to hook you up a little bit. I had just placed my patc order when he got his license. They'll ship the converters to me, then I'll ship Mitch's to him.

They're slightly lower than stock stall, around 1600, full billet front cover triple disc clutch and something crazy like 200% more clutch surface area than stock. I called and spoke with Jesse just to get his thoughts on it, he said they drive just fine, helps you get a little more of the lower rpm torque to the ground.

#39 ·
Doing some thread digging tonight considering I'm in need of a tranny.

So, a year later, what are your thoughts on patc?

#40 · (Edited)
F@&k Patc.

edit:

More specifically, their converter failed, within 30 days of running it...ok, mechanical component, stuff happens. I'm not so much mad that it failed, but in how they handled it. I sent them my receipt, my mistake...but they said they lost it, never got it. They coincidentally couldn't find my record of buying it in their system. I spoke with the owner, Don, who gave me a low ball offer for a refund when I asked for one, or offered to exchange it. I asked why the low ball offer and he got all bent out of shape and raised his voice, told me those were my choices, I tried to de-escalate things, he hung up, I called back, he screamed at me, cussed at me, and repeatedly hung up on me. I've NEVER been treated that way, as a customer. EVER. Then, on a whim, I called back the next day, spoke to a new guy, guess what...he found my record of sale in their system right away, meaning the ownership was trying to get out of covering a warranty. Eventually I got my TC , but that's why I say 'F' PATC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.