Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Billet Torque Converter - Buy one get one 50% off

10K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  portcity_gt 
#1 ·
So, I spoke with Gary, G2shuck, a few nights ago, very smart guy. He informed me that Patc has a deal where you buy one and get 50% off the second, or two for 25% off each. I need one...if anyone else is considering one let me know and maybe we can both save some money. I just called and spoke with PATC to get some info, they offer two converters for the 5r110, a billet and a non billet. The billet is what I'll be doing, it Costs $899 and is what jesse warren uses in his 850 HP sled pulling truck. The guy at patc said that warren orders a whole bunch of these, I've heard that's what his brother Andy uses in the transmissions they build. The stall is about 300 lower than stock...the stock stalls at about 2000 rpm and the patc will stall about 1650-1700 he said. Just throwing some info out there on the converter. Feel free to talk with patc directly for more info. 1-888-201-2066. They also have a regular non billet one for about 650 I think.

Like I said, I need one...if you need one too let me know, be a good chance to get a good converter for a discount. They're 900 each, but with 25% off it puts them at 675 each which is a killer deal and makes this a pretty affordable upgrade.

#41 ·
Still running that converter?

#43 ·
Awesome. I'll take all the help I can get, as I only want to pull this bastard once.
Do you have a link to your converter?

#44 ·
Home | Precision Industries

They're great to deal with. You can pick pretty much any stall you want, but their most popular is a 1800, roughly same as stock, they make a 1700 stall for those that tow a lot, and a 2200 stall for guys with non Vgt turbos, to help with spoil up.

I thought the same thing...about only wanting to pull the trans once...so I opted for the best trans I could afford, stage 3, bullet internals and installed with the patc converter. I've had crap luck for transmissions lately...after the patc converter went out, I sent my trans back to the builder (Warren) to go through it to be sure it was ok, got it back and installed with a PI. Trans never acted right, shifted all inconsistently, high temps, ect. The builder took my truck up to his shop, removed, rebuilt (time #3), and reinstalled my transmission, kudos for the effort...but it will wasn't right, still got hot, and acted funny. On my way home from the last event at Rudy's the transmission pump grenaded itself, and left me stranded 2 hours from home. I decided to part ways with the builder so as not to run the risk of costing either of us more problems, and money. My transmission is at anther builder now, waiting to get it back, again to be installed with a PI converter.

#45 ·
So don't buy a Warren trans?
I'm having zero luck locally on a good builder. No one is familiar with them and they want a very stuff amount of money to guess and guinea pig it.
I'd like to get the best trans I can in the $3500 range

#46 ·
I'd highly suggest warren transmissions, I think he has one right in that range. Just tell him what converter you want to run.

#47 ·
DPC gets really good reviews also.

I had my converter built at a local trans shop and it's been holding up really well. I'm not saying any shop can build them because there are more hacks out there than good shops. The 5R is not like a dodge trans where every shop has lots of experience building them. Lol. If your on a budget and don't do boosted launches or sled pulls you can skimp on the billet parts and cut some cost there.

#48 ·
It is too bad that things did not work out between Andy and Jared... Kudos for both being patient and parting ways on good terms.

I recommend Warren Diesel to lots of guys and hear a ton of great things. There are issues with any tranny builder. But most guys love their warren trannies. They have the best prices and the best service IMO... and most have no issues with their trannies.

Andy has a new website for anyone interested

Custom transmission builds, kits, and parts for high performance diesel trucks - Warren Diesel Shop

#49 ·
I'm not out to badmouth Andy warren, he took care of me, unlike PATC. Andy made things right, I'm not upset with him about the trans failures, stuff happens, for whatever reason Andy couldn't get it right, but he has lots of other happy customers. I would say stay clear of patc, I very rarely 'bash' companies, but I made a promise to their owner after he hung up on for the 5th time (I never raised my voice or cussed at him, not once)...I told him I would vow I share that experiance with anyone and everyone who asks about converters lol. I'd stick with PI, or DPC, I've heard good things about them as well.

#52 ·
That's good to know! I will keep you in mind when it comes time to build a tranny :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.