37's Vs. 35's Opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
37's Vs. 35's Opinions

I have an opportunity to grab 4 nearly new Mickey Baja AT's for $600.00 and was wondering what other have preferred 35's or 37's and was there that big a difference in mileage, performance and ride quality.

I' have the Icon 4.5" looks llike i'll need the TEI and possibly a taller block or 1" spacer just to keep the ride level.

There's tons of room in the rear but the fronts will likely hit the lower fender well support.

If the TEI doesn't work i'll be looking for a set of 18" OEM's as they don't poke out as much and from what I've read with 37" tires and stock wheels even a 4" lift is sufficient.

Help Please.

denny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

I'm not sure what a TEI is, but I do know that with about 4"~5" up front (it's a long story, don't ask), I can contact the fender pulling into a parking lot. That being said, I would be going to a 6" lift if I went 37s. I certainly wouldn't go wheelin like I do on 37s without a 6" lift. Wheeling with 35s has proven the need for the hammer mod on the front fenders. The other thing that I would do if I had 37s would be to go with 4.30 gears.

As far as mpg, going from 33s to 35s, I dropped 2 mpg like it was cool. I can only imagine what I would lose going to 37s. A friend had 38s (yes I know you said 37, but it's close enough for gov't work) with 3.73s and said his mileage was really bad.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:26 PM

Re: 37's Vs. 35's Opinions

Talking to others with 37s and stock gearing, they pretty much said it's a dog and bad mileage. Depending on your wheel offset, they might rub, they might not. I run 35s with just a leveling kit, with minor rubbing on fender well..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've run both, just recently put 37's on mine. Tsl boggers...they're on 17" fuel hostage rims. Now...the boggers kinda add a grey area to the ride comfort category...its like riding on tractor tires. Aside from that, it rides OK when the tires warm up and stop bumping along with the flat spots from sitting all night...gotta love bias ply. I don't get stuck anywhere anymore, lol.

I run a 4.5" icon kit, fox racing shocks with external resevior, and some cheapy eBay leveling spacers under the front spring perch...its 2.5" tall, and a 3 inch block in back in addiction to the 5 Inch block the icon came with.

Ride is better than stock...I need a steering stabilizer and an alignment badly, but again the boggers play into making the road manors worse. If they were a good radial tire like what you're looking at, I wouldn't have any complaints. My mileage has been crap with trans issues I'm having... but I hasn't seemed to get much worse with tires. Definitely not a pig with a tune and ficm tuner. I don't see any huge need to regear right now. If I was going much bigger than 38's I would regear but I wouldn't say its necessary...my truck has 3.73's stock...I think most of the diesels do...maybe some have 4.10's?

All in all I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 AM

I run a 37/13.50 with a 4-Link BDS 6" lift. It only rubs the inner liner on tight parking lot manuvers. It was a little sluggish with the stock 3.73's untill I switched to a 4.56 which is very steap. 4.30's might be a little more road friendly.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 AM

Gearhead, got any pics of your truck on Boggers? I bet it looks freaking mean as hell.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have 37s on 10" lift and have smashed my front fenders and my bed. Depends on how much your suspension actually travels and how hard you push them. If I ran 37s on 4 or 6" I would just remove the fenders and the bed.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Stroke View Post
Gearhead, got any pics of your truck on Boggers? I bet it looks freaking mean as hell.
I'll get some up soon and maybe update my profile pics and all finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
I have 37s on 10" lift and have smashed my front fenders and my bed. Depends on how much your suspension actually travels and how hard you push them. If I ran 37s on 4 or 6" I would just remove the fenders and the bed.
Yeah I gotta watch mine, if I push it really hard crossing ruts in the sand I can watch mine come pretty close to the fenders on compression. I need to drop my bump stops down, or even invest in a nice set of gas bump stops.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM

depending on wheel off set you may rub even with the 1" tei spacer. And 37" vs 35" I saw a 1.5 mpg drop when I made the switch but the look it worth it to me for the trade off in mpg!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Also I forgot to mention my 35x12.50's would rub the radius arms occasionally. They were on the stocj Harley 20" rims so no positive offset...or is it negative...anyway they were stock. Maybe I already said this...I seem to remember typing it recently. Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.