What to do next - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to do next

Was thinking about either getting a stage 1 MTW turbo or a water meth injection. Do you guys have any other ideas or suggestions? I use the truck for performance and towing so I usually look for a balance between performance and tow ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: What to do next

I vote ported intake manifold. Lubeowner/dieseldr has a competitively priced unit.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDpsd View Post
I vote ported intake manifold. Lubeowner/dieseldr has a competitively priced unit.
How much would the install for something like this be and would you say the performance gains are relative to a turbo upgrade?

I plan to install an aftermarket turbo but would I be able to install an intake manifold?
Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 PM

What to do next

My thoughts on this would be that the aftermarket charger would reap benefits from a ported intake manifold and vice versa. From a performance stand point they are both good choices. It seems the performance benefits of the ported manifold isn't really seen till higher horsepower applications with aftermarket chargers. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njstroker91 View Post
My thoughts on this would be that the aftermarket charger would reap benefits from a ported intake manifold and vice versa. From a performance stand point they are both good choices. It seems the performance benefits of the ported manifold isn't really seen till higher horsepower applications with aftermarket chargers. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure others will chime in.
Yeah after reading the details on the ported intake that Quick Tricks sells, I was thinking the same thing. That a ported intake would really shine if you had the mods to take use of the extra air flow capacity. They also wan ted $1200 for that, I was looking in the $600-$800 range.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A little north of your price range, but only slightly. You could look at putting a better torque converter in it, which in turn helps the trans live longer. Look at patc and precision industries, or Brian's truck shop. Bts uses a PI converter built to their specs.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM

What to do next

That's another good idea or even lockers in the rear end not sure what they run. Been tossing that around for a while.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A Detroit will set you back about 5-600, plus an install kit if you want to do it right...and while you're in there there's no better time to swap ring and pinion for a different ration for bigger tires...of course then you have to do the front too...ring and pinion sets are 2-300 but you'll need two. Oh and an install kit for the front...and a Detroit if you're brave enough for the front, or a trutrac which is what i will probably do, or a air locker. But what goes from being a 500 dollar part for a rear Detroit becomes much much more expensive really quick. Plus if you're not sure exactly where the truck will end up as far as lift and tires and all go then you probably don't want to do something like gears yet as they're rather dependant on the rest of what you'll be running. Most shops will charge 3-500 bucks to set up each axle.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead2012 View Post
A Detroit will set you back about 5-600, plus an install kit if you want to do it right...and while you're in there there's no better time to swap ring and pinion for a different ration for bigger tires...of course then you have to do the front too...ring and pinion sets are 2-300 but you'll need two. Oh and an install kit for the front...and a Detroit if you're brave enough for the front, or a trutrac which is what i will probably do, or a air locker. But what goes from being a 500 dollar part for a rear Detroit becomes much much more expensive really quick. Plus if you're not sure exactly where the truck will end up as far as lift and tires and all go then you probably don't want to do something like gears yet as they're rather dependant on the rest of what you'll be running. Most shops will charge 3-500 bucks to set up each axle.
Since you dont go serious off roading with the truck there is no real need for a front locker
Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM

What to do next

Yeah I guess ill be holding off on a locker :roll:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.