What to do next - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to do next

Was thinking about either getting a stage 1 MTW turbo or a water meth injection. Do you guys have any other ideas or suggestions? I use the truck for performance and towing so I usually look for a balance between performance and tow ability.

2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0L - 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ 4" rear blocks, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, 4" TB MBPR Straight Exhaust, SCT Tuner w/ Quick Tricks, Innovative, and Gearhead tuning, Blue Spring Upgrade, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, ScanGuage II, Dyno-Tune EGT guage, High Idle, Custom Wood Steering Wheel, PAC Aux Input, Ipad Mount, 5% Tint all around w/ 50% Windsheild Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: What to do next

I vote ported intake manifold. Lubeowner/dieseldr has a competitively priced unit.

2003 centennial edition f250 4x4 ccsb auto w/blackwater long block w/arp's, 4" exhaust, airaid intake, ODawg's manifold, itp's reg return, sap modified solenoid, DC power 185amp alt, motorcraft 850cca, Warn Hubs, RS 55w 6k hid's, harley headlights, bpd 58v 6 phase, bpd water pump, dieselsite coolant filter, elc coolant, php gryphon, Xcal2 w/unlimited tow, new hfcm, glowshift fuel psi gauge, icon level kit, 20" kmc hoss, 305/55 terra grapplers TOTALED
post #3 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDpsd View Post
I vote ported intake manifold. Lubeowner/dieseldr has a competitively priced unit.
How much would the install for something like this be and would you say the performance gains are relative to a turbo upgrade?

I plan to install an aftermarket turbo but would I be able to install an intake manifold?

2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0L - 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ 4" rear blocks, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, 4" TB MBPR Straight Exhaust, SCT Tuner w/ Quick Tricks, Innovative, and Gearhead tuning, Blue Spring Upgrade, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, ScanGuage II, Dyno-Tune EGT guage, High Idle, Custom Wood Steering Wheel, PAC Aux Input, Ipad Mount, 5% Tint all around w/ 50% Windsheild Tint
post #4 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 PM

What to do next

My thoughts on this would be that the aftermarket charger would reap benefits from a ported intake manifold and vice versa. From a performance stand point they are both good choices. It seems the performance benefits of the ported manifold isn't really seen till higher horsepower applications with aftermarket chargers. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure others will chime in.

2006 f350 eclb 6 speed, powermax, billet compressor wheel, valair dual disk, 4in to 6in cat stack, afe magnum force stage 2, airdog 150, xdp sump, zoodad mod, sinister coolant filter, gauges egt oil temp and fuel pressure, cfm carbon fiber and metal cold side tub, blue spring, bpd ficm, moto metal 959 18x9 wrapped with cooper at3, custom shift knob from lilpooh, Polk audio all the way around, dashboss for monitoring
post #5 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njstroker91 View Post
My thoughts on this would be that the aftermarket charger would reap benefits from a ported intake manifold and vice versa. From a performance stand point they are both good choices. It seems the performance benefits of the ported manifold isn't really seen till higher horsepower applications with aftermarket chargers. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure others will chime in.
Yeah after reading the details on the ported intake that Quick Tricks sells, I was thinking the same thing. That a ported intake would really shine if you had the mods to take use of the extra air flow capacity. They also wan ted $1200 for that, I was looking in the $600-$800 range.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A little north of your price range, but only slightly. You could look at putting a better torque converter in it, which in turn helps the trans live longer. Look at patc and precision industries, or Brian's truck shop. Bts uses a PI converter built to their specs.

2005 F-250 Harley Davidson Edition

Warren 205/75 Injectors
KC Turbo 71mm VGT
Twisted Diesel Level 3 Transmission/PI Converter
AFE Intercooler/Flexalite Fans/Mishimoto Radiator
Icon 4 Link, 37" Nitto's
SSBC 6 piston calipers
Yukon 4.30's, Detroit Locker

Machining the 6.0:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...ine-6-0-a.html
post #7 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM

What to do next

That's another good idea or even lockers in the rear end not sure what they run. Been tossing that around for a while.

2006 f350 eclb 6 speed, powermax, billet compressor wheel, valair dual disk, 4in to 6in cat stack, afe magnum force stage 2, airdog 150, xdp sump, zoodad mod, sinister coolant filter, gauges egt oil temp and fuel pressure, cfm carbon fiber and metal cold side tub, blue spring, bpd ficm, moto metal 959 18x9 wrapped with cooper at3, custom shift knob from lilpooh, Polk audio all the way around, dashboss for monitoring
post #8 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A Detroit will set you back about 5-600, plus an install kit if you want to do it right...and while you're in there there's no better time to swap ring and pinion for a different ration for bigger tires...of course then you have to do the front too...ring and pinion sets are 2-300 but you'll need two. Oh and an install kit for the front...and a Detroit if you're brave enough for the front, or a trutrac which is what i will probably do, or a air locker. But what goes from being a 500 dollar part for a rear Detroit becomes much much more expensive really quick. Plus if you're not sure exactly where the truck will end up as far as lift and tires and all go then you probably don't want to do something like gears yet as they're rather dependant on the rest of what you'll be running. Most shops will charge 3-500 bucks to set up each axle.

2005 F-250 Harley Davidson Edition

Warren 205/75 Injectors
KC Turbo 71mm VGT
Twisted Diesel Level 3 Transmission/PI Converter
AFE Intercooler/Flexalite Fans/Mishimoto Radiator
Icon 4 Link, 37" Nitto's
SSBC 6 piston calipers
Yukon 4.30's, Detroit Locker

Machining the 6.0:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...ine-6-0-a.html
post #9 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead2012 View Post
A Detroit will set you back about 5-600, plus an install kit if you want to do it right...and while you're in there there's no better time to swap ring and pinion for a different ration for bigger tires...of course then you have to do the front too...ring and pinion sets are 2-300 but you'll need two. Oh and an install kit for the front...and a Detroit if you're brave enough for the front, or a trutrac which is what i will probably do, or a air locker. But what goes from being a 500 dollar part for a rear Detroit becomes much much more expensive really quick. Plus if you're not sure exactly where the truck will end up as far as lift and tires and all go then you probably don't want to do something like gears yet as they're rather dependant on the rest of what you'll be running. Most shops will charge 3-500 bucks to set up each axle.
Since you dont go serious off roading with the truck there is no real need for a front locker
post #10 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM

What to do next

Yeah I guess ill be holding off on a locker :roll:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode