Lifters and cam - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lifters and cam

Just bought an 04 crew cab dually. Bought it broken. Dealer had the oil ump out when i went to look at it, lifter parts went through it. Are there any better lifters out there for these engines? They use the same lifter as the 7.3, seems like running higher pound springs on these engines over the 7.3 is were the failure is coming from. Just tossing out an idea, I see a few of these problems at work but have never seen a bad lifter in the 7.3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
To my knowledge there aren't any better lifters out there other than OEM. If you bought that thing I hope you got a STEAL on it because if one or more of the lifters wiped a cam lobe than brother your in for a world of hurt in the banking department. I'm sure you're aware of this, but the cam is the very first part put into the block when the engine is assembled and is the very last part removed from the block upon disassembly. Not to mention this is a engine out repair/rebuild.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If he got it for a right price, and with a bad engine he could swap in a low mileage replacement and br way ahead of the game, or a new crate motor even.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 AM

Yes I'm aware of how the cam goes in the engine, I worked for international before, I work for a diesel fuel injection shop now and work on these trucks everyday. Wont be the first cab I've pulled or the first camshaft I've had to replace. Only paid 8,000 for a spotless truck with low miles and its a lariat. already have a line on a new performance cam for it. Just down to getting parts rounded up so I can get it running.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
OK here's the deal with lifters. A company called Johnson makes a lot of aftermarket ones. Come to find out they're also one of, if not the biggest supplier to the oems as well. Its not so much the lifters fault normally, although we have had defects from all the new lifters we buy from Johnson. The reason they wipe the cam lobe out is because the lifter retaining trays will break and crack, allowing the lifter to spin in the bore, turning the roller sideways. Now, a defective litter issue that we've seen is that they'll not bleed down properly pumping up the lifters and hanging a valve open, but we recently found that a ton of that has to do with poor rocker arm quality. The ratios vary greatly between even brand new ones...some set the lifter preload (how far the plunger in the lifter is pushed down) some set it .070" which is about where it should be...some rocker arms set lifter preload around the .170" mark...which is dangerous and probably what caused Ford so many problems with the 6.0.

There's some r&d I'm doing...I don't want to spill the beans yet, but I know for sure 6.0's and 7.3's use the same lifter...but that might not be the only engines Ford produced that used them. I'm still doing some checking and double checking...but I might have found a much better and cheaper way to run solid roller lifters. That would also require adjustable rocker arms....and the stock camshaft may not be 100% compatible but I'm looking into all that. I can say that if and when I have my heads off, I'll probably spend the money on harland sharp rocker arms.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 AM

The 6.4 uses the same lifter, and seems to have the same problems. I've had a few in the shop with broken rockers and bent valves. I would be very interested in a better system for my engine while it is apart and not have to tear it down again for something like this. I open to being a guinea pig. Shoot me a pm if you like, I'm in no big hurry to get this truck running, I just want it to stay together when I'm done.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpott62 View Post
The 6.4 uses the same lifter, and seems to have the same problems. I've had a few in the shop with broken rockers and bent valves. I would be very interested in a better system for my engine while it is apart and not have to tear it down again for something like this. I open to being a guinea pig. Shoot me a pm if you like, I'm in no big hurry to get this truck running, I just want it to stay together when I'm done.
Haha, be careful saying that. I got lots of ideas, haha. The unfortunate thing about guinea pigs is sometimes it takes a few before they figure out what went wrong with the first ones, lol...so that might not exactly fit with "wanting it to stay together'. I'm the same way, I wouldn't mind trying stuff on my truck, but I don't have time to keep tearing into it if it does work.

Yeah 6.4's use the same lifter as well, and they bust the lifter retaining bracket even worse Than 6.0's do...same cam and all actually. ,hey had a revised code locker arm design that actually made problems worse. They added an oil hole to the rocker arm tip to aid in lubrication to the rest of the valvetrajn...trouble was that oil hole just allowed pressure to bleed out and they wore the pivot on the end of the rocker arms out terribly bad.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Yeah I found that out on the 6.4 that I'm rebuilding right now at the shop. 150,000 miles all of the rockers are junk and the #2 cylinder intake rocker was broken off and the valves were bent. I've been trying to find a little heavier spring to put in when I put it back together. They seem to have an odd sized spring. Any thoughts on larger exhaust valves?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpott62 View Post
Yeah I found that out on the 6.4 that I'm rebuilding right now at the shop. 150,000 miles all of the rockers are junk and the #2 cylinder intake rocker was broken off and the valves were bent. I've been trying to find a little heavier spring to put in when I put it back together. They seem to have an odd sized spring. Any thoughts on larger exhaust valves?
6.4's are already larger than 6.0's as they should be...compound turbos and larger displacement. Honestly I think for anything other than towing at low rpm 6.0 exhaust valves are undersized...even for stock use.

As far as larger valves try mtn performance, they had best prices on valves...they're all chrome plated, from elite or anywhere else. To my knowledge no one offers nitrided valves or inconnel or anything better material wise. I might use some duramax exhaust valves in mine as they're slightly larger than 6.0, but they're nitrided. I'll just have to play with the spring height and all. Rcd I think has aftermarket springs for semi reasonably prices...about 115lbs of seat pressure as opposed to 85ish stock. Anyway though try that mtn diesel performance for valves...they might have larger 6.4 valves. They had larger 6.0 intake and exhaust.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Thats what i'm looking for is larger valves for my 6.0 and springs. I've seen exhaust back pressure hang the valves open before when the turbo is stuck, not a pretty sound. Will the 6.4 exhaust valves fit the 6.0 head?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.