rev x all the way! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rev x all the way!

So I finally got my last oil change/test done. My testing was on the three main oil additives that get the most hype. 1, hotshots secret 2, archoil and 3, rev x. So ill start with hotshots, now to my knowledge I don't have didn't have any stuck or failed injectors. I didn't really find hotshots made any difference what so ever in performance fuel economy or quieting the injectors, my test sent to the refinery didn't show much improvement in extended lubricity or extded life over my initial "no additive" test. So in my eyes although its easy ro buy at any tractor supply store I think its useless. Next I tried the archoil. I did notice a lot better cold starts (its been winter during this test) even over the hot shots which was done in the summer. The injectors seemed a bit smoother and test came back with much greater extended performance all over the board. That being said I did notice towards the last 1500 miles the injectors were getting a little louder. Fuel mileage was same as both hotshots and no additive. Finally the rev x. Although archoil uses a "nano borite" and rev x larger particle borite, I found after my first 2 runs an incridible difference in performance with crisp throttle response and much quiter injectors. My fuel mileage has increased by about .5 a mile and has a nice smooth idle. All my tests should be fairly consistant I fuel at the same station every time I drive the same route everyday and nothing has been changed to the truck since I started. I have not sent in the rev x oil sample for this test is only 500 miles in. Its odd how the oil you put the least amount of in your engine seems to work best! Ill keep you posted when I send in the sample, but so far rev x is the winner for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I personally think all three of those products are a blatant joke, but I comend you for a great test and post. Interesting to hear about real observations. Did a good job of controlling the variables you could keep consistent. What do those products rank in price? Numerous blind studies prove the more one spends the more they are sure they get a better product, even when a placebo is used
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM

I guess some what true... rev x is the most compaired to how much you get. Rev x is roughly 60 bucks for 2 four oz bottles. Archoil is about 38 bucks for 16 oz and hotshots is 50 bucks at 64 oz. So maybe its all a hoax but hey the trucks still running lol! By the way sick truck jetjock!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Rob, I have used Rev_X and saw a noticeable difference in idle smoothness, turbo spool up, and cold starts. This was in my truck with no injector issues and Amsoil 5w30. Here in the next month I will be doing fresh T6 and Archoil 9100. I am just curious.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM

We have disagreed on this before! Lol. If it helps it helps!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:17 PM

I tried HSS and was not real impressed with it. Didn't seam to do anything for quieting down injectors. The place I bought it from asked me to let them know if it did anything that it advertised when I told them no it didn't they handed me my cash back. At least I wasn't out anything but fuel to get there. Haven't tried RevX. I have used 2cycle and Diesel Kleen and that quieted the injectors and smoothed out idle.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 AM

My truck would run rough at start up. Just for a few seconds and it got worse the colder it got. I read on this forum about Rev-X and gave it a try.... All I can say is it will be in every oil change from now on. It was like being on an infomercial. You could hear and feel a difference in the truck right away. 60 bucks is worth it as far as I'm concerned. Just my 2 cents and worth about the same....
Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Rob, I have used Rev_X and saw a noticeable difference in idle smoothness, turbo spool up, and cold starts. This was in my truck with no injector issues and Amsoil 5w30. Here in the next month I will be doing fresh T6 and Archoil 9100. I am just curious.
I did a similar test about a year ago.

The archoil was a waste of money IMHO
Old 03-02-2013, 04:15 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
I personally think all three of those products are a blatant joke, but I comend you for a great test and post. Interesting to hear about real observations. Did a good job of controlling the variables you could keep consistent. What do those products rank in price? Numerous blind studies prove the more one spends the more they are sure they get a better product, even when a placebo is used
AGREED 110% TOTAL B.S. you cant fix something that is worn physically you can only bandaid for a little bit!!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 AM

I don't think its trying to fix a worn out part. These new oil restrictions are taking a lot of needed lubrication properties so I'm thinking the additives are just helping. And as far as the stuck injectors go I cant say for sure cause I've never had one to test this on. I guess if it has some penetrating properties it could eventually relieve one But as far as helping a motor run smoother and qeiter and get a little better fuel mileage I think is spot on for rev x. I will also add my cold starts are hand over fist better not a single stutter after it fires, and by cold I mean 10 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.