Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Custom coated turbo's??? Who would be interested???

7K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  MWilbur516 
#1 ·
Just looking at a couple more things to make the MTW turbo's stand out. Wondering who would be interested in custom coatings and graphics on the compressor cover of their MTW turbo. Here are a couple of sample patterns. Post up and let me know what you guys think. If we get enough interest, we may make this an option. Really, who wouldn't want a little more bling under the hood? The second picture is a sample of the diamond plate, the orange is painted over the graphic.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the idea is really cool and would be sale IF it could be seen and not buried under the wiring loom.

My .02

d

#3 ·
I understand, but I think they are still really visible. I'm going to have mine done regardless of weather we offer it or not. I will take pictures and we'll really be able to tell how much you can see it.

#5 ·
i would actually prefer a polished housing option rather than graphics. I miss my polished housing that i had on my 64mm non vgt.

#9 ·
How well will the wrap handle the heat?

#13 ·
My IC pipes have been done for over a year and they look great. The hot side IC pipe sees the same temps as the compressor housing. The constant flow of cool air into the housing will keep the temp down and the residual heat from the rest of the engine wouldn't push the housing temp to over 300*. The graphics will take that all day long.

#18 ·
A 7.3 wire loom fixes that hidden turbo thing right up!
And I just want a hybrid with the new billet wheel, lol

#21 ·
Anybody wanna throw a number out there of what you would consider paying for this? I'm dropping a compressor cover off tomorrow to let them throw a graphic on so we can show what it would look like. I'll probably throw it on a GPDA members truck and take some pictures.

#22 ·
I'm a lil concerned on how hydro dip will lay down on the rough cast finish.

#24 ·
post a pic of your IC pipes so we can see em!

#25 ·
There are two problems I see with this.

1. There is already a waiting list of people waiting on a turbo and to offer this it would take more wait time not to mention the extra shipping costs and time to the place that's dipping them then back to Adrian for final assembly.

2. Unless you're very careful removing and installing the turbo it will get scratched up very easily.

I don't know what this place would charge to dip them but I know I got a price on just dipping the inside of the head light housings for my retrofit and they wanted $150 EACH.

#27 ·
1) I'm aware of the list, but anyone ordering a coated turbo would have to understand that it would take an extra week. That's why it would be an option not a standard.
2) The coating and graphics don't scratch easily at all so that wouldn't be a huge problem.

As far as the money goes, the price I want to go with would definately be less than the $150. Right now I'm just looking at how much interest is out there. I think we have enough to proceed. I'm dropping a housing off today, I'll keep everyone updated.

#28 ·
Matt I can assure you that if you dipped these covers and hit them on the cowl or anything else for that matter while installing it or removing it they would get scratched all to hell.

#29 ·
So don't get one. Yes they could get scratched, but I know a bunch of guys with painted and polished housings that aren't scratched so this would be no different. It's an option and if you don't want it, fine, but I think after seeing one on and seeing my price, some guys will want to go this route.

Derail over.

#30 ·
Matt, the idea of coating the turbo is atrocious. Would look gaudy and shout "look at me".

Let me know when I can send mine to have it done :)

#36 ·
I would rock a carbon fiber dipped one for sure.

#37 ·
REALLY liking the skulls... :nod:

#41 ·
SWEET! When do you think that might be? (Not trying to be a smartazz, just trying to gauge everyone's expectations.)

#39 ·
still havent posted a pic of your ic pipes

#43 ·
that right there is sexual! i think i know what we are doing next!

#45 · (Edited)
If you're interested and I can help, just let me know. You have no idea how many people comment on the engine when we're at shows or events. It really turns heads and can be very cost effective.

We're about to do a truck for a buddy who has the burgundy and gold King Ranch. We're thinking IC pipes body color and turbo the gold trim color along with a few other misc. things in the engine bay. It should all tie together and be absolutely beautiful while maintaining the elegance of the KR series trucks. Maybe he'll do some diamond plate graphics...... LOL,

#52 ·
Thanks Matt. I think everyone is interested to see how they turn out and the price seems reasonable to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.