EGR Delete question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete question

Ok here it goes... So im new to the diesel game, still trying to learn my way around the truck. How would I tell if the EGR has already been deleted from the truck, the person I got my truck from told me it was done, but with the exception of the intake nothing under the hood appears to be aftermarket, any help and pictures would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you look at your intake elbow, it connects to your intake manifold. under your intake manifold on the passenger side there will be a pipe that is clearly visible that is square if 05-07 or round if 03-05

that is your EGR cooler. if that pipe is there then you still have your EGR system.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM

an even easier way to tell (although not completely 100%) is to look at the base of where you put your oil filter. if there is a blue silicone tube approx 2 in long then you will have your OEM EGR as this is an OEM fitting. Most aftermarket kits replace this hose and also use hose clamps which the OEM doesnt use
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM

sweet thanks, ill take a look right now, if the egr is deleted would I have a check engine light or i that something that doesnt cause codes???
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Like you said, pictures would be greatly appreciated. However, the EGR cooler is under the right side of the intake manifold. 99% of all deletes remove this. The other 1% uses freeze plugs to cap it. The EGR valve is behind the elbow to the left AS YOU ARE LOOKING AT IT.

If the EGR cooler is there (and not freeze plugged) but the valve is gone, it was a waste of time. Further, some 2003s, like mine, need to see the EGR cooler to cycle the turbo at idle (screams then rumbles, then screams, you know, in a cycle). If yours isn't doing this, the good news is that plugging in a used valve and laying it on the intake will make it cycle properly, been there, done that.

As usual, you're going to need to check you EOT and ECT temps to determine the health of your oil cooler. A Scan Gauge II is good for this, but the Edge CTS is REALLY NICE. Being as it's a 2003, it's probably clogged. More bad news, 37s are not going to work with a front leveling kit, 37s require a 6 inch lift. There's a BIG difference between making them fit and making them work.

Seeing how as the OEM exhaust was 3.5, I'd look into a 4 inch exhaust system with or without the stack. Going to a 4" exhaust (OEM is 3" down pipe into a 3.5" pipe) will help with EGTs. The way that you entered it looks like the factory exahust was cut and a u-pipe put into the bed for a stack. I could be wrong, but that's how it's written.

At any rate, I doubt that you will have any questions that haven't been addressed on the Org somewhere already. EOT/ECT splits, EGR stuff, which air filter to use, and how much tire can be used on a leveling kit get beat on pretty regularly.

Welcome to the Org, you're going to have to try to not learn something here, there's that much good info to be found.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 AM

Heres a picture under my intake manifold, im guessing its deleted, ill check the oil filter thing next just to be sure
Attached Thumbnails
EGR Delete question-image.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the advice and the welcome
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgraser1 View Post
Heres a picture under my intake manifold, im guessing its deleted, ill check the oil filter thing next just to be sure
Unfortunately, this picture does not show the EGR valve or the cooler. Sorry. You need to get on top of the motor, look to the left of the elbow (dead center with tube going to driver's side), this is where the EGR valve is. The cooler is under the intake on the passenger side and is hard to see. It's going to be a tube on an 03.

CEL (check engine light) only lights for 05 and up with EGR issues.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgraser1 View Post
can you snap a picture of the motor between the turbo and oil filter housing? this is the area on top of the motor close to center ( slightly offset to passenger side)
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM

I am heading out to my truck now to get a picture of what the delete looks like for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.