Torque Converter Comparison - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Torque Converter Comparison

So, it appears dispute the reputation the stock 5R110 converter has for being pretty reliable even under extreme tuning and all, I've smoked mine...probably from not changing the fluid, don't take advice from green service techs.

So, I hear a lot about bts-brians truck shop. They apparently use precision industries converters and seem to be well respected on the diesel forums. I've heard good things about suncoast too, but I haven't heard much about ATS. They are big on the GM forums, but rarely awe them mentioned here. They seem to make a good product, 5 year 500k mile warranty even for race applications. I'm basically looking for anyone's actual experience with any of these, have you seen them, side by side even? Better yet have you run one or two of them? They're all about the same cost, I don't mind spending the money if I only have to do it once. Thanks for you're input.

Oh, and truck should be around 500 at the rear wheels, but I don't intend on going any further with it. Used for daily driving, the occasional run against a mustang or camaro, and I tow occasionally. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
A buddy of mine had MANY problems with his ATS replacement and had a ton of issues in getting them to honor their warranty. Granted, this was several years ago, so draw your own conclusion.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had good luck with the suncoast converter that was in my truck from 2008 up until last spring. Some people don't like suncoast but I have no problem with them. Precision Industries converters are very good as well. If your tranny is fine, I would just do the converter at your power level.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Yea I haven't heard anything really but bad stuff about ATS (emphasis on heard/read). Either way though, I have heard good things about both PI and SunCoast TCs. I think those are solid bets. Another one that seems decent too is DPC. I like PI because they don't have a stupid core charge to mess with.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

Cool. I just got off the phone with ATS, seemed knowledgeable, sounds like a good product, but who know. I'll call PI next. They say they use forged not billet stuff, forged being stronger yet. I'm sure they're all better than stock...as long as yo change your fluid.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Take it for what it's worth, but my bro-in-law is on his 8th fully built ATS in a year. Yea you read that right. He had them put the first one in Valentines day last year and its at a transmission shop as we speak getting the 8th one put in! This is in a 6.7 Cummins with a 66mm turbo and stock injectors. So the power level isn't above what ATS claims it should handle. On the bright side, they have stood behind it and sent him a brand new tranny every time.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
IIRC, BTS does not use Billet internals either.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
A buddy of mine had MANY problems with his ATS replacement and had a ton of issues in getting them to honor their warranty. Granted, this was several years ago, so draw your own conclusion.
Do you know what kind of issues? I really like the way theirs sounds on paper, good write up about em online, but it all really boils down to marketing.

I haven't read anything bad about precision industry's yet. Waiting on bts to give me a call back about them.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Stroke View Post
Take it for what it's worth, but my bro-in-law is on his 8th fully built ATS in a year. Yea you read that right. He had them put the first one in Valentines day last year and its at a transmission shop as we speak getting the 8th one put in! This is in a 6.7 Cummins with a 66mm turbo and stock injectors. So the power level isn't above what ATS claims it should handle. On the bright side, they have stood behind it and sent him a brand new tranny every time.
Wow, seems like there's another problem there. I'm surprised they haven't just given him his money back at this point. Eons ago when I worked at advance auto, we'd get people that would continually bring us starter after starer or alternator after alternator and eventually we'd tell em to hit the road with a refund. Some of that might be due to crappy remain components, some was definitely because of other issues they had with their cars. At least ATS honors it. To their credit I called and immediately spoke with a guy who seemed very knowledgable. No recordings no transfers, no push 1 for English. That's a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
IIRC, BTS does not use Billet internals either.
Bts uses pi, who as mentioned earlier doesn't use billet, they use forged...still waiting on a call back to talk more about it with em.

There's also twisted diesel, very local to me, I literally drive by em everyday, supposedly they build a bad *** torqshift...but to be honest, I have a hard time trusting them...too many horror stories.

Last edited by Gearhead2012; 02-26-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: forgot to ad 2 quotes
Old 02-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

Precision industries finally emailed me back. They said their front cover (the part facing the flywheel) is billet steel, and uses 3 friction discs. There's is 1200 bucks, and to my knowledge doesn't involve a core charge. The ATS torque converter is 1350 plus shipping and a 400 dollar core charge. I've got another tc off a core engine, so I'm not too worried about the core charge, or the 150 dollar price difference. I'd say its down to these two converters...either the ATS five star, or the precision industries stallion.

They both come with 5 year warranty, both have billet front covers, the ATS has 5 clutch discs and he said was supposedly rated at 2400 ftlbs...the pi stallion has 3 discs. The ATS to me sounds like the best one on the market...but again that's reading the marketing, and talking with a salesman who obviously wants my money, lol...but it sounds like they've totally re-engineered the tc at ATS. Redesigned CNC stator...supposed to redirect fluid much more efficiently...key word - supposed to. Only thing reused is the impeller and rear cover. I'm leaning towards ATS, but that's because I've heard more about that one, hadn't got to speak to anyone at pi yet and really dive into what makes it great. Just thought I'd share my findings thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ats, bts, precision industries, suncoast, torque converter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.