Ready to buy a MTW turbo, but can't decide which - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ready to buy a MTW turbo, but can't decide which

I originally thought I wanted the hybrid, but then I began to read really good things about the Stage 1. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on that when I started reading about the cast and billet wheel. Now I'm torn again, I don't want to spend the extra money but I don't want to be kicking myself later either. So here's where I'm stuck and any opinions or insight that y'all can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm down to the stage 1 with the cast wheel or the hybrid because I don't see the point in getting the stage 1 with a billet wheel when for another $100 you can step up to the Hybrid. What difference could be expected between the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

You made a good observation. If you don't plan on getting larger injectors, either should work fine, but if you plan on upgrading or leaving the door open, get the Hybrid.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM

in the past 3 weeks ive called MTW 5 times and sent him a PM...still no response id like to buy a turbo from him, but customer service like that i may be changing my mind....im sure he is busy but that doesnt give me confidence handing over $$ and never hearing back from him again??
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

The hybrid is going to flow more air because of the larger inducer on the compressor wheel. Personally I would go with the hybrid because I know I would probably kick myself later on wondering how much more power it could make. But either turbo is a great upgrade and should be fun.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wrdriggs He is EXTREMELY busy right now. He is currently tearing his truck apart, working a full time job as an aircraft mechanic for FedEx and building turbo's for customers. It takes some time but he definitely has the best customer service out there for performance turbos.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Wrdriggs have you tried to pm Nate(windrunner)? He's really quick to respond to people and he helped me out with mine.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGman141 View Post
Wrdriggs have you tried to pm Nate(windrunner)? He's really quick to respond to people and he helped me out with mine.
is he also part of MTW? no i havnt but i should.. i just want to talk to someone on advice for my truck, was going to get a P-Max but wanted to go with a MTW.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
You made a good observation. If you don't plan on getting larger injectors, either should work fine, but if you plan on upgrading or leaving the door open, get the Hybrid.
I don't intend to upgrade the injectors, but if they start going out on me I'm one to step up rather than replace with stock. I'm hoping that doesn't happen though. I cleaned them at 100k and I run Sea Foam through them every 30k. I have 130k now. Even if they do go out and I step up it wouldn't be more than 155.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGman141 View Post
The hybrid is going to flow more air because of the larger inducer on the compressor wheel. Personally I would go with the hybrid because I know I would probably kick myself later on wondering how much more power it could make. But either turbo is a great upgrade and should be fun.
How are the Hybrid's spooling characteristics in comparison to the Stage 1 with a cast wheel? I would love to be able to say I have 800 ft/lbs, but I'm more after after a really fun truck to drive.

It might be worth noting that I don't have studs nor do I intend to do studs.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Get the Hybrid it's awesome now that the wheels issue are worked out.

If you can even though it's not needed get the latest wheel or the billet "Batmowheel" a few of us will be returning shortly so you might get an upgraded wheel at no extra charge.

Denny
Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

The Stage 1 cast wheel works very well. I suspect the hybrid spool is similar, since it isn't much larger and probably has a similar mass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.