Yet another fuel pump question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Retired Army

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet another fuel pump question

Ok, so I think I need a fuel pump because post blue spring installation my fuel pressure (taken at the test port on the filter housing) reads about 43 @ idle. I've looked through many of the posts and most seem to be Airdog vs FASS and that's not my question, rather it is would a regular AD (not AD2) be sufficient to keep my stock pump alive awhile longer? Essentially take the strain of pulling fuel from the tank off the possibly weak stocker until I can get enough money for a separate high-pressure pump?

I've been reading a lot about the regulated return and FuelLabs and some other high pressure pump I cannot remember and, to be honest, am really confused. Do I need / want to remove the stock fuel filter (bowl?) and what does that entail? Add to that the " is junk" vs " is great" controversy and my brain cell is now, well, oatmeal.

From the replies to some of those other thread, I see a lot of questions to the rather ambiguous initial post so here goes:

Truck is a daily driver. I don't tow anything now and forsee light towing only, maybe quads / sand rail / utility trailer for home-improvement project / cleanup in the future. Power desires are secondary to reliability, although 450-ish rwhp would be cool. Truck is stock but will have Sinister delete and new Ford oil cooler, and I now have an SCT tuner. Truck is not yet studded. Off-road excursions are currently limited to desert running for hunting / shooting but I hate to camp (11 years light infantry cured me of any camping desire) so most are day trips. The cool factor (braided lines, RR, etc.) of any particular mod is, again, secondary to reliability but is a factor (I've been known to add a mod or two just because it was cool - my one-touch down on all windows for instance). When money permits, I would love a BPD oil system kit.

Finally, if I've missed the post where this is all spelled out please point me there and I'll read away. Thanks.

Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Why not replace the stock pump? That would be the least expensive option.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree with Mitch - just replace the stock HFCM and be done with it. It doesnt look like you have any mods, at least not listed. Save yourself the headache replace the stocker and enjoy for a while.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you have the black adapter piece that the brass cup goes into? I did but did not replace the o-ring on it and my pressure was light. Added the o-ring and was at a solid 58 psi.

If you want a new stock fuel pump I have a pump (only pump, not the housing) that was used for 1 week while I troubleshooted. I will sell it for $150 shipped anywhere in the US.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Retired Army

I was trying to get a start on capability for future mods. I was thinking if I eventually get to some high-HP mods, I would already have a start, especially if I needed to change the pump anyway. However, high-HP mods will probably be some time down the road so maybe this whole question is a bit premature.

I believe I have the kit installed correctly because I saw an initial increase from 38 to 52 but after driving it for a couple days pressure has dropped and now sits around 42 at idle. I haven't seen evidence of any leaks. I'll check this weekend (kit install) and let you know about the pump.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

More than likely the problem is being mistakenly assigned to the fuel pump, when the stock fuel pressure regulator design is the real culprit. The blue spring is a bandaid...at best...it doesn't change the way the fuel pressure regulator works, how it's positioned in the system, fuel flow, restrictions, etc.

It has been proven many times that our regulated return and a stock fuel pump (working correctly of course) will support up to 190cc injectors and hot tuning. That being the case, stock or smaller injectors should be a walk in the park. There are instances of fuel pump failures, but they are few and far between...we almost never replace them in our shop.

Far far too many people are buying big aftermarket fuel pumps to try to fix fuel pressure problems that are not the fault of the pump. If reliability is the primary concern, keep the OE pump, change the filters at reasonable intervals, get fuel from decent stations and fix the real problem with the system...the poor stock fuel pressure management design and fuel system layout.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Retired Army

Yeah, I would like to install a regulated return kit but $674 is a bit much right now. I have not been able to check the blue spring kit because of other projects / chores, and I won't get to it this weekend either since the truck is going to Tucson without me. My eventual fuel system plans include an AD100 / AD150 feeding the stock pump (maybe an aftermarket high-pressure pump), and the RR kit and elimination of the stock fuel bowl / regulator.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Diesel View Post
More than likely the problem is being mistakenly assigned to the fuel pump, when the stock fuel pressure regulator design is the real culprit. The blue spring is a bandaid...at best...it doesn't change the way the fuel pressure regulator works, how it's positioned in the system, fuel flow, restrictions, etc.

It has been proven many times that our regulated return and a stock fuel pump (working correctly of course) will support up to 190cc injectors and hot tuning. That being the case, stock or smaller injectors should be a walk in the park. There are instances of fuel pump failures, but they are few and far between...we almost never replace them in our shop.

Far far too many people are buying big aftermarket fuel pumps to try to fix fuel pressure problems that are not the fault of the pump. If reliability is the primary concern, keep the OE pump, change the filters at reasonable intervals, get fuel from decent stations and fix the real problem with the system...the poor stock fuel pressure management design and fuel system layout.
Funny I don't have that problem. 138k on the original HFCM feeding the OEM fuel pressure regulator and almost 5k feeding 175's without a single problem. LOL watch I'm going to go out to start my truck in the morning for work and my pressure will drop just because I said I haven't had any problems out of it hahaha.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Retired Army

@sgernon,
That was exactly the issue. Took my HFCM apart today and cleaned it up, not really bad but had some crud in it that now isn't; pressure still < 40psi. Took the cold-side CAC off to replace the boots with Riffraff so while I was there, I took the regulator apart and found the o-ring in the return line (I think the cover has the return line?). Anyway, looks like I wasn't careful enough when I put it back together the first time so this time, I made sure the o-ring didn't slip off. Buttoned everything back up and initial pressure was 70psi after cycling the key about 8 times. I drove it around some and idle pressure now sits on 65psi. Thank you for the advice.

The good news is you helped me out and I don't need a pump; the bad news is I won't be buying yours.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my stock hfcm pump lasted 169k miles... Operated great still but WOT fuel pressure dropped down to 20psi.. New hfcm pump and pressure doesnt drop below 62-65. Im happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.