Performance gains from deleting the EGR? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Performance gains from deleting the EGR?

I understand the general idea of deleting the egr, (which I've ordered the parts w/ up-pipe), but are there any performance benefits to be had? Not reburning hot exhaust which would probably be low in oxygen etc.
The mechanic recommended doing the oil cooler also and wants 8 hours to bill me, is this about right?
Thanks again guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

8 hours for an EGR delete and oil cooler install sounds reasonable to me. There is alot that has to come off to get to the oil cooler. It is recommended to put a new oil cooler in when doing an EGR delete because you already have most of the stuff off the motor anyway and you would hate to have to pay 8 more hours of labor for an oil cooler install a month or two down the road. As for performance gains, I couldn't tell any gain in power or mpg with my EGR delete. I did notice that the motor seemed to run smoother and idle better.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM

I did my EGR cooler delete in my driveway in 4 hours. I am a backyard mechanic and know my way around motors and what tools to use, but it was totally new teritory for me when I started messing with this. The biggest thing that I noticed was that the motor seemed to run cooler, and takes longer to heat up in the winter (it seems I have to drive further down the road to get heat and on the coldest days there's spots on my windshield that don't melt the ice). It doesn't to idle any different though.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelsch View Post
I did my EGR cooler delete in my driveway in 4 hours. I am a backyard mechanic and know my way around motors and what tools to use, but it was totally new teritory for me when I started messing with this. The biggest thing that I noticed was that the motor seemed to run cooler, and takes longer to heat up in the winter (it seems I have to drive further down the road to get heat and on the coldest days there's spots on my windshield that don't melt the ice). It doesn't to idle any different though.
Thanks for the input Joe. I am far less talented than you and will have to pay somebody to do the delete but never the less I'm looking forward to having a more bullet proof truck. Good point on longer warm up times.
Dene
Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 PM

First really big job I did on the truck did it in a weekend not that bad slow and steady and you can save a few bucks
Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

No performance gains with the EGR delete, just engine longevity.

It will take 8 hours to do the EGR delete and oil cooler replacement.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene2006 View Post
I understand the general idea of deleting the egr, (which I've ordered the parts w/ up-pipe), but are there any performance benefits to be had? Not reburning hot exhaust which would probably be low in oxygen etc.
The mechanic recommended doing the oil cooler also and wants 8 hours to bill me, is this about right?
Thanks again guys!
There is a small gain but not much. What you have to remember is that egr cooler introduce cooled inert exhaust gas into combustion event to cool it and this reduces N.O.X. and also takes up space in the cylinder that otherwise would get a nice air/fuel mixture! so in reality you are using the maximum amount of volume in each cylinder to burn a good air/fuel mixture. This also means more air will flow across the mass not much more but a increase in any case! When you take that inert gas away you have to replace it with something this is my point so I would expect a slight increase in performance!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would also add the fact that 05-07s EGR up pipe has a diverted scope in them that can hinder exhaust flow. Will you notice the difference, I doubt it, but it can't hurt.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartfun View Post
I would also add the fact that 05-07s EGR up pipe has a diverted scope in them that can hinder exhaust flow. Will you notice the difference, I doubt it, but it can't hurt.
Very good point! every little bit helps
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartfun View Post
I've heard about a scoop in the up-pipe. Is this present in my '04 that I should tell the mechanic to remove also?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.