New to the 6.0 Community - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the 6.0 Community

Hey gang, I have recently take the plunge to join up with the 6.0 PS Community. I have purchased a 2005 Lariat Crew Cab FX4. It has 100k mi. on it and was maintained extremely well by the one owner. It is currently due the 100k service and has had injectors on one side and egr cooler replaced at some point in its life by Ford. It came with K&N cold air intake, and a Superchips Flashpaq tuner. I am on a budget rot now as I have pooled in all my cash to pay for the truck, but I wanted to get u guys opinions on what I should do/upgrade/or avoid as I start out on this 6.0 adventure? One thing I know I need to deal with is a raw diesel smell coming from under the hood and working its way in the truck while running, any input on that would be appreciated? I'm thinking blue spring and regulator mod? Possibly small leak there.....also should I be afraid of the Superchips tuner or roll with it....Thx for taking the time to read and for helping me in any way you can to lead me out of the gate right, and who knows this 73guy may become a 60guy??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Welcome to the 6.0 world!

I would personally get rid of the Superchips and get an SCT with custom tunes, your truck will be much happier. You can probably find a used one here on the ORG for a decent price.

Do you already have gauges or another type of monitor.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Re: New to the 6.0 Community

Welcome first of all. If it were me I would sell the tuner you have on craigs list and either buy a scangauge ii or a edge insight and get a sct and some custom tunes. You will love your truck even more after you do. Then would ditch the k&n for a s&b intake. Just my thoughs.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
i'd get an S&b or a banks ram air.. either is good i think S&B looks better personally, get some custom tunes for sure, lots of fun to have custom tunes from the rides i've gotten, I'm just dying to get myself a tuner!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 AM

I wouldn't be afraid of the Superchips. I ran one for several months with no issues before getting my SCT. I'd say if your content with the power then leave it, but if you start wanting more then hands down SCT with a custom tune is night and day powerwise. You do need to get some gauges and a way to monitor stuff. You might be surprised how quick your EGT's shoot up.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Rattlesnake18, I do not have any gauges or monitor for this truck, I sold my isspro ones in my last truck. I am looking to get an edge insight monitor when I get some cash though. I am really not looking to power up the truck, I am not a romper, but I would like the torque at my foot when I need it and I am really looking to improve fuel economy as much as I can. Dirty_ do u think I will have egt problems with the Flashpaq in tow/safe mode without romping it off the line and running empty? Thanks to all again for the input, this forum is the best....
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And I have never really been a k&n fan myself but for free in the truck was not sure if I should just keep it or not, didn't know if would actually do more harm than good?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73guy View Post
Rattlesnake18, I do not have any gauges or monitor for this truck, I sold my isspro ones in my last truck. I am looking to get an edge insight monitor when I get some cash though. I am really not looking to power up the truck, I am not a romper, but I would like the torque at my foot when I need it and I am really looking to improve fuel economy as much as I can. Dirty_ do u think I will have egt problems with the Flashpaq in tow/safe mode without romping it off the line and running empty? Thanks to all again for the input, this forum is the best....
i would get an SCT with a tow tune that has an exhaust break.. they use the turbo vanes to help slow down the truck, its pretty cool.. and an economy tune for when your not towing.. its just nice to have the tune tailored for your truck.. seems to work more efficiently IMO but to each their own.. i would do exahust for the purpose of keeping EGTs down.. but like everyone said monitor first.. welcome to the 6.0L world.. oh and is there any bullet proofing done to it like a coolant filter?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
i would get an SCT with a tow tune that has an exhaust break.. they use the turbo vanes to help slow down the truck, its pretty cool.. and an economy tune for when your not towing.. its just nice to have the tune tailored for your truck.. seems to work more efficiently IMO but to each their own.. i would do exahust for the purpose of keeping EGTs down.. but like everyone said monitor first.. welcome to the 6.0L world.. oh and is there any bullet proofing done to it like a coolant filter?
Yeah that's one thing I like about the Dodge's is the built in exhaust brake feature, so if it works something like that, then that would be cool! How much u think I could sell the Flashpaq for and how much to get a sct with custom tunes? I do not think there has been any bulletproofing done at all, what should be first and foremost on that?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I bought my '04 two seasons ago off eBay and it was down in Scottsdale, (I'm in B.C. Canada). I flew down and drove it back and being my first diesel I was astounded at the smell in the cab while around town, (not on the highway). Took it into the shop when I got home and the turbo wasn't lined up very well with the inlet pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.