Strategy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Strategy?

My current strategy is Vxap1n6, I heard that is terrible for miles and power. Exactly how can I get that changed? I have read a little into FICM tuning and so forth but need more help. Who do I need to contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your tune writer should be able to change the parameters so that when the truck is tuned your actual stragey doesn't matter. I was looking into rolling back but I was told my tunes are based off a good strategy, VXCF4. I have seen some conflict is whats a good strategy and whats not.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanzfx4 View Post
My current strategy is Vxap1n6, I heard that is terrible for miles and power. Exactly how can I get that changed? I have read a little into FICM tuning and so forth but need more help. Who do I need to contact.
Dont worry about it, your 03 will always start with vxa. The tune writer will build around that base. Unless you drive around in a stock truck a rollback doesnt matter.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Alright, thanks for all the input guys.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
Your tune writer should be able to change the parameters so that when the truck is tuned your actual stragey doesn't matter. I was looking into rolling back but I was told my tunes are based off a good strategy, VXCF4. I have seen some conflict is whats a good strategy and whats not.
that is not entirely true. with some strategys you can jump around, like vxcf5h5 you can run vxcf4h2 tunes but that doesnt mean everyone can do that. sometimes it will F up the ecm.

vxap1n6 is an inferred ebp strategy, he can ask a tuner or maybe one will chime in but im fairly certain that he can not run a tune for say VXAM7N2 (tec3 non inferred ebp strategy) because the calibrations are not in the same family.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDpsd View Post
Dont worry about it, your 03 will always start with vxa. The tune writer will build around that base. Unless you drive around in a stock truck a rollback doesnt matter.
the rollback does matter. especially for an 03 truck, they run much better without the inferred EBP crap and the later calibrations tend to not shift nearly as well as the old stuff. of course i know this from experience.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 AM

I guess I've got some of my info wrong. Thats what I was told. I've owned a 6.0's since 05 and I still don't know much! Clearly from my posts here lol.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM

they may have been talking about your truck and its current calibration. but its hard to make a generalized statement like that because there is 4 years of trucks (each year has its own strategys) then there is a hundreds of calibrations for each year.

its worth the $75.00 to flash back the ecm/tcm vs the hassle of possibly screwing up the ECM or the tuner.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKS-O View Post
the rollback does matter. especially for an 03 truck, they run much better without the inferred EBP crap and the later calibrations tend to not shift nearly as well as the old stuff. of course i know this from experience.
Can the tune writer use a strategy that utilizes the EBP on a truck with a base strategy like mine(vxap2b2) that infers EBP? And if the tuner turns off the adaptive learning does the trans strategy matter?

Thanks for the help sickso.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 AM

i dont believe so but i will ask eric at innovative and get a better answer for you.

see some strategys maybe different VXCF4H2 vs VXCF4HB but the way they are written maybe similar so tunes can be interchangable. others arent

another thing to keep in mind is the strategy contains the operating system for ECM, if theres a compability problem this will cause issues.

Last edited by SICKS-O; 02-20-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.