New Injectors.. .need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Injectors.. .need help

I'm looking at upgrading my mostly stock 06 ccsb...

I'm pretty set on jesses 175s or 190s...but can't decide on nozzle selection.

I'm going to be using a mtw stage 2

I'm shooting for a daily 500rwhp and still be able to tow w a tow tune which seems to be common.

I'm looking for pros and cons of each nozzle selection...stock, 30%,75% or 100%

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: New Injectors.. .need help

Ttt

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oakbank, Manitoba
Posts: 2,825
Thanks: 6
Thanked 71 Times in 65 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If all you want is 500ish, 175/50 plus the Stage 2 will do it no problem. Stock nozzles would probably work as well, but it would limit the available fuel and ultimate HP. You can always cut back fuel via tuning or your foot, but you can't add it without bigger holes. If you are only limited to 30, 75, 100 nozzles, the 30s should achieve your goal, but the 75s will give you the option to tune in the bigger dump, if needed. Of course the other option is to think about growth and go 190/75s.

Read some of the posts on upgraded turbos and injectors/nozzles run by members here. Most of their successes and problems are well documented.

I will add that my Stage 1, high performance tune and stock injectors is a very good platform with about 470 rwhp. The reality is the extra HP is just fluff or grin-factor for brief indulgences. For extended or heavier towing I would use a lesser tune, just to move the injector timing to an easier position and give me a more normal high rpm fuel schedule and lower EGTs. With a larger injector and reasonable nozzle, you could run a stock or aggressive tow tune and you would have the extra power throughout the pedal range, if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: New Injectors.. .need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
If all you want is 500ish, 175/50 plus the Stage 2 will do it no problem. Stock nozzles would probably work as well, but it would limit the available fuel and ultimate HP. You can always cut back fuel via tuning or your foot, but you can't add it without bigger holes. If you are only limited to 30, 75, 100 nozzles, the 30s should achieve your goal, but the 75s will give you the option to tune in the bigger dump, if needed. Of course the other option is to think about growth and go 190/75s.

Read some of the posts on upgraded turbos and injectors/nozzles run by members here. Most of their successes and problems are well documented.

I will add that my Stage 1, high performance tune and stock injectors is a very good platform with about 470 rwhp. The reality is the extra HP is just fluff or grin-factor for brief indulgences. For extended or heavier towing I would use a lesser tune, just to move the injector timing to an easier position and give me a more normal high rpm fuel schedule and lower EGTs. With a larger injector and reasonable nozzle, you could run a stock or aggressive tow tune and you would have the extra power throughout the pedal range, if needed.
I rarely tow...when I do its 8k or less.

Would I be able to do say...190/75 as you suggested with let's say a MTw hybrid or stage 2 and have Vivian cut fuel enough in a tow tune, or even in a hotter tune to manage egts and still maintain tow-ability in a tow file and street performance in the Looney wild file?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bucks County PA
Posts: 1,344
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Like mentioned Stage 2 and 175's you'll hit 500rwhp. I'll be towing daily with the 175 setup once work picks up. The 155/30 stage 2 configuration I had already proved itself at work for me. I only dynoed 440rwhp though. From my research here the 175 stage 2 setup will completley managable towing with proper tuning and you'll still have a fun truck. Thats why I chose the setup. Most will agree 190's should be used with a Stage 3 (if your going the mtw route)

I dont have experience with the same cc size injector and different nozzles. But power should be comparable.

I made my 515rwhp with the 175's on a tune written for 155cc injectors. I was the only truck at the dyno event that was smokless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: New Injectors.. .need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
Like mentioned Stage 2 and 175's you'll hit 500rwhp. I'll be towing daily with the 175 setup once work picks up. The 155/30 stage 2 configuration I had already proved itself at work for me. I only dynoed 440rwhp though. From my research here the 175 stage 2 setup will completley managable towing with proper tuning and you'll still have a fun truck. Thats why I chose the setup. Most will agree 190's should be used with a Stage 3 (if your going the mtw route)

I dont have experience with the same cc size injector and different nozzles. But power should be comparable.

I made my 515rwhp with the 175's on a tune written for 155cc injectors. I was the only truck at the dyno event that was smokless...
I'd imagine with proper tuning you'd have been somewhere around 530 ish.. wouldn't ya think ?

You have any track times?
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bucks County PA
Posts: 1,344
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some guys here who I spoke with off the forum said it should have been closer to 575rwhp.

I'm not sure what it feels like but if your looking for a fun truck 175's and a mtw 2 you can put your truck sideways from 30mph. Thats fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: New Injectors.. .need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
Some guys here who I spoke with off the forum said it should have been closer to 575rwhp.

I'm not sure what it feels like but if your looking for a fun truck 175's and a mtw 2 you can put your truck sideways from 30mph. Thats fun!
Keep in mind I'm on a stock tranny

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oakbank, Manitoba
Posts: 2,825
Thanks: 6
Thanked 71 Times in 65 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks like you got lots of replies, thanks guys!

With that load, or even more you should be able to tow on a cut-back tune. Stage 2 would be the minimum recommended, but a hybrid should work for your stated intention. PM or call Adrian to discuss what might be best for you. The reason you don't want it smaller is, if you decide to run a hotter tune, you will need more turbo to clean up the smoke. Again, do a search of users and results achieved.

If I upgrade my injectors, I am still sitting on the fence on 175/75 or 190/100. The boys are even suggesting 190/150, geez! Of course, I would have to step up to a stage 2 or 3. I don't know if it worth the money. Who knows, I may just go 175/75 and keep the turbo I am using and see how it goes. Since I don't plan on racing anyone except myself or getting traffic tickets, going really large isn't high on my priority list. I would rather put 400-500hp into my Evo X for the wow factor. I can do that for the price of new diesel injectors. The joke is, I already have a spare set of injectors waiting to be modified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 2,834
Thanks: 2
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
Some guys here who I spoke with off the forum said it should have been closer to 575rwhp.

I'm not sure what it feels like but if your looking for a fun truck 175's and a mtw 2 you can put your truck sideways from 30mph. Thats fun!
Who would tell you such a thing! Horsepower is something that is a lot more difficult to come by than most people think. Not trying to rain on your parade, but I think 550 is about the best that setup can do. 530 is a far more realistic goal.

OP, since you don't tow very heavy, 175/75 should work with the stage 2. Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors