Stock Cat & Muffler Delete Pipes (Long Read... Sorry) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock Cat & Muffler Delete Pipes (Long Read... Sorry)

I recently ordered a stock cat and muffler delete pipe from Pure Diesel Power for my 2004. I went after the cat first yanking it out and replacing it with the delete pipe with no real problems. When I was done, I fired it up and took it around the block to see how much of a difference it made. Turbo wine was a lot louder during acceleration but I didn't really notice much at idle with that 55 gallon drum Ford likes to put under these damn trucks.

I figured the real sound difference was going to come from the muffler delete (obviously) so I climbed back under the truck prepared to get crazy on the muffler. I don't know why, but until this point I was thinking the muffler unbolted on both ends and I could bolt the pipe in place. I poked around under the truck before I bought the delete pipes and somehow saw some imaginary exhaust clamp post muffler. Either way, I figured no big deal; time to bust out the sawzall and have a party.

I plug in the saw, hit the trigger, and POOF! the motor burns up. At this point I'm already pumped to make this muffler disappear so I run the truck up the street to the local muffler shop. I tell the tech what's going on and he puts the truck up on the lift to see what he can do. Well, good thing I brought the truck in because apparently the delete pipe is at least 3 inches short.

At this point I call PDP and verify they sent me the right pipe. I measure it and sure enough, it's the one for my truck. Now I have to hunt down about 6 inches of 3.5 inch pipe so it can be added to the delete. Has anyone else had an issue with their factory muffler delete pipe not fitting?

Sorry for such a long post, I probably could have summed that one up in a few sentences. If you've made it this far, I probably owe you a beer. Thanks for listening, hopefully someone can chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think your supposed to "slide" the rear pipe out of the muffler. That's where you got short
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentstdi View Post
I think your supposed to "slide" the rear pipe out of the muffler. That's where you got short
The problem with that is the muffler is welded on that side. Before the muffler, the pipe is clamped together so I can just unbolt it. But after the muffler, the tailpipe runs all the way out the back so I have to cut the muffler off. The problem I'm having is even if I cut the pipe right where it connects to the muffler, it won't be enough length to connect the delete pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.