potential build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
potential build

I wasnt originally gonna look at really doing anything more then a few mods to help make the truck more reliable... we all know how that goes haha So I have been doing a little research trying to find a few mods that would help me have a little more fun the just a programmer would alone. the problem is I also wanna be able to safely tow a fith wheel if I have to. so here is what I have now. egr block off. rebuild the oil cooler, 4 inch turbo back exhaust. what im thinking about doing is upgraded turbo(not sure which one) banks technicooler and a s and b intake. i know that besides the turbo that wont give much more power i was really just hoping for lower egt. Now the other thing i wanted to do is slightly bigger injectors since i hear they have to come out when i do headstuds. now what can still be a dd and not to big for injectors? i was thinking 155's any thoughts on this build would be great. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 PM

How about the devils own water meth system? Not too spendy and would take care of the egt issue a be a little fun at the same time.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 PM

I have basically all the mods you mentioned (155's, MTW Hybrid, S&B intake, fuel system) and my truck is very fun to drive. It has no problem blowing the doors off average muscle cars around town. Also I have pulled my gooseneck loaded to about 16,500lbs from Kentucky back to Alabama and it didn't have any problem at all cruising 75-80mph even on the hills. As a matter fact, I stabbed it going up a hill just to see how hot it would get and I pegged the speedo going up hill pulling a gooseneck and my EGT's stayed under 1300!! I am pleased. It's a very well rounded setup.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I would stay away from a aftermarket intercooler as they aren't needed unless you blow the plastic end caps off or are running a rather large turbo. Something like a stage 2 or above from MTW or similarly sized non-vgt.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM

so taking the intercooler change out of the build will i be able to tow with a tune. Iam gonna use idp as my tune writer. im going down next month to talk to him and get my first set of tunes writen for a pretty much stock truck and talk about my ideas for the build. also how about the injectors i have heard of ppl getting stock injectors made to 155's with stock nozzels pretty cheap ideas comments?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 PM

one other question( at least write now... im sure ill have a lot more haha) I have heard of the water meth kits. i understand that they lower egt, but do they provide any performance and do they increase compression in the engine that i would need to worry about a messing up my heads. I do wanna stud the truck but its not studded yet. not 100% sure when im studding the truck. just dont wanna mess it up.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Banned

W/M lowers cylinder pressures and egt's while adding more power.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 PM

so its safe to add a w/m system even with stock bolts? is it also safe to run while towing?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Banned

Yes a lot of people do that.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:51 PM
The Silent Service

I'll break this down by individual mods, and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeaby View Post
I wasnt originally gonna look at really doing anything more then a few mods to help make the truck more reliable... we all know how that goes haha So I have been doing a little research trying to find a few mods that would help me have a little more fun the just a programmer would alone.
First thing your truck should be getting, before you sink another dime into it is a monitoring system. Check my threads in the stickies, or my sig, I outline pretty well what to look for and why it needs to be monitored. The 6.0L is a great truck, if monitored and you are proactive about taking care of the small symptoms.

Quote:
. . . the problem is I also wanna be able to safely tow a fith wheel if I have to. so here is what I have now. egr block off. rebuild the oil cooler, 4 inch turbo back exhaust. . . .
Towing is the primary function of my build. You have a good base, mind you that even with the EGR blocked off, you need to monitor the ECT/EOT deltas, as you could still rupture the oil cooler when it gets clogged up. Shifting to a silicate-free ELC, helps lengthen this process, but that depends on how you maintain the truck.

My personal starting point:
-Monitor
-Corrective Maintenance on the Issues the Monitor tells you. (Don't Mod before they are handled)
-Coolant Filter
-Exhaust of Choice
-Then figure out your budget and HP goals and come up with a solid plan to attain them.

Quote:
. . . and a s and b intake. . . .
The S&B is the only one on the market I'd recommend to folks getting ready to ditch the stock unit. Which is the best filter in the world for filtering this motor. That filtration comes with a cost of airflow. The Stocker has been used to build motors upto 500RWHP, but those motors would see good gains over the stock box. Most stock to tune-level builds won't see that much of an improvement for the cost of the intake.

Quote:
. . . what im thinking about doing is upgraded turbo(not sure which one)
MTW (MadTurboWerks) is a great option with a number of available models depending on what you are looking to build to. These really need a dedicated HP goal and injector selection though, we can get into that phase when you are ready.

Quote:
. . . banks technicooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
I would stay away from a aftermarket intercooler as they aren't needed unless you blow the plastic end caps off or are running a rather large turbo. Something like a stage 2 or above from MTW or similarly sized non-vgt.
I feel an aftermarket IC is a viable upgrade, however you are only going to see about 50-100* of EGT change with a stock turbo and intake manifold. I recommend handling the airflow obstructions first 1) Intake Manifold, 2) Stock Airfilter [if desired]. The Banks IC is a great option, but you may wish to consider installing it with the stock IC pipes (replacing the later plastic one with a metal replacement), to maintain airflow through the cooler.

Quote:
. . . i know that besides the turbo that wont give much more power i was really just hoping for lower egt. Now the other thing i wanted to do is slightly bigger injectors since i hear they have to come out when i do headstuds.
Injectors do not need to come out of the heads for the stud job. Actually there are a few ways to make that job a lot easier, depending on your individual truck's condition.

Quote:
. . .I do wanna stud the truck but its not studded yet. not 100% sure when im studding the truck. just dont wanna mess it up.
Studs are one of the things I feel are a "Do when you have to take the heads off the first time" rather than a preventive thing. When they are done, take the time to have the job done right. I go over this pretty well in my other threads.

Quote:
. . . now what can still be a dd and not to big for injectors? i was thinking 155's any thoughts on this build would be great. thanks
155s with 30% nozzles have proven to be great towing injectors for most builds, and weight limitations (under 24k-26k gross) in most of the country. The only place I'd be concerned with them is in altitudes over 8K FT, without proper turbo upgrades.

I would match the 155s with at least a MTW Hybrid, or Stage 1 with his new wheel. They could also work with the MTW Stage 2 if you want to stretch it.

On this note:
Quote:
also how about the injectors i have heard of ppl getting stock injectors made to 155's with stock nozzels pretty cheap ideas comments?
I don't feel stock nozzles gain you much of anything in the upper RPM bands, as PW is so narrow that you won't get any additional fuel in during the cycle. Down low, they have time to be adjusted in tuning to deliver extra fuel - good for spooling the turbo, not for higher HP numbers. For 155s, I'd run 30% if you tow, and 50% if your looking for power.

Quote:
. . .I am gonna use idp as my tune writer. im going down next month to talk to him and get my first set of tunes writen for a pretty much stock truck and talk about my ideas for the build.
I have IDPs tuning, and feel it works great for me, his towing file needs work on my truck - I feel it runs a little warm in the EGTs. Vivian at Quick Tricks is the next tuner on my list for a towing file, as she does a stock only option that won't alter fueling, and give me the shifts that I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
How about the devils own water meth system? Not too spendy and would take care of the egt issue a be a little fun at the same time.
Quote:
. . .I have heard of the water meth kits. i understand that they lower egt, but do they provide any performance and do they increase compression in the engine that i would need to worry about a messing up my heads.. . .
Quote:
W/M lowers cylinder pressures and egt's while adding more power.
Quote:
so its safe to add a w/m system even with stock bolts? is it also safe to run while towing?
Quote:
Yes a lot of people do that.
Here's my stand on Water/Meth kits: Decent risk, for minimal EGT control.

There are a number of ways a W/M kit can take out your engine, most of which are due to material failures the kits have safety features for, but it can still happen. I won't install one in fear of hydrolocking the motor.

As for the EGT control, depends on the mix you're running. It can be a safe method of doing things, and it can get you cheap power with a change of fluid and settings.

I feel this is a band-aid solution to EGT control. Improving airflow is the more effective answer (via air filter, intake manifold, IC, and turbo). To each their own, but improving airflow doesn't require a tank to be refilled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.