Head Gasket/Stand Pipes & Dummy Plugs?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gasket/Stand Pipes & Dummy Plugs??

Is there any chance that when Ford did the Head Gaskets in 2008 that they would have updated the Stand Pipes and Dummy Plugs. It doesn't show up on the Oasis Report, but I want to make sure before I order parts and start tearing things apart. Also, would Ford have updated the Oil Cooler with the upgraded version and stainless screen when they replaced/rebuilt it in 2008 as well? I'm assuming they wouldn't have touched the STC fitting unless it was a problem and even if it was it sounds like they would have just upgraded the bracket and used the STC style.

Is there anyway to dig farther than an Oasis report or should everything Ford performed be on that?

Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated. I'm planning to finally do the EGR delete and take care of the STC fitting, dummy plugs, standpipes, and have the intake hot tanked. Is there anything else I should be planning on doing? I'm considering doing ARP studs as well without pulling the heads if my gaskets test as good. Going to give the coolant system a little time after the Restore only flush to ensure my EOT/ECT deltas stay good. They were up to about 18 degrees but now are only 4 degrees apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

easiest way to check is pull a valve cover and pull the dummy plug real quick but being that far back i highly doubt it. yes the new oil coolers have the better screen.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM

Trying to get my signature to show up so you guys can have some more details on what I already have done!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunagan View Post
easiest way to check is pull a valve cover and pull the dummy plug real quick but being that far back i highly doubt it. yes the new oil coolers have the better screen.
I was thinking about just tearing it apart and then ordering parts after seeing if anything has been upgraded already.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM

it takes about 30 mins to get to them. its not to bad to do at all. the stc on the other hand is a terd!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:53 PM

If it has the newest style pipes and plugs they will take a 12mm hex to remove, the older style was 10mm.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 PM

After doing the cooling system pressure test and punching it hard a couple times up steep hills I finally got my pressure to climb quickly and puke coolant. It did this much more rapidly with the IDP tunes, but on stock it would still steadily climb if I gave it the mustard repeatedly. I am banking that my gaskets are leaking so not having the space or time I'm going to take it to a place I trust that has done a lot of 6.0Powerstrokes here in Oregon and have them do the work.

As for the parts I plan on buying them myself and saving some money. The shop uses some sort of $500 headgaskets I've never heard of but I trust they are everything OEM is and then some. I'll find out the name later this week and let u know.

Here is what I plan on buying and a few questions on them:
ARP Head Studs
Ford Updated Oil Cooler Kit
RCD EGR Delete
STC-HPOP Update Kit
Standpipe/Dummy Plug Update Kit
Updated Turbo Oil Drain Line(already changed the feed line)
Victor Reinz Intake Gasket Set:
Ford Powerstroke 6 0 Diesel Intake Gasket Set 03 08 | eBay
Exhaust Gaskets

Do I need the hardware for the turbo or just the orings/gaskets that come in the VR kit?

Do I need new up pipe bolts and y pipe nuts?

6.4 Banjo's or not?

Do I need Rockerbox gaskets or any other specific gaskets and o-rings for all this work?

Should I have new valve seals installed or anything else at all that you would recommend?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM

Re: Head Gasket/Stand Pipes & Dummy Plugs??

Definitely check the gaskets. Black onyx are not made any more but a new one called black diamond are on the market. Haven't heard much about them tho. You should still look into buying the OEM gaskets yourself, I think it will be less than 500.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM

The $500 gaskets might be the ones from hypermax. I've heard good things about them. Black Onyx and Black Diamond are just victor gaskets.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM

its unlikely it has the latest plugs and case to head tubes because they werent out in 08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.