MTW Custom Billet Wheel/Tweaked Stage 1 Review!! Pic and Vid Heavy!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
MTW Custom Billet Wheel/Tweaked Stage 1 Review!! Pic and Vid Heavy!!

Back story..

Here is a link to the original MTW Tweaked Stage 1 review thread.

MTW Tweaked Stage 1 and 175/Stock Nozzles....

Ok as many of you already know I have been testing an experimental turbo for Adrian. It is the MTW Tweaked Stage 1 turbo (modified turbine housing just like the Hybrid turbos have). As you all know I was also experiencing MAJOR surging with my turbo when running the Looney Wild Track file written for my 175's and this turbo.

I then switched tuning to my TSD SPD that was written for my stock turbo and my 175's. I immediately noticed a difference in the shifts and WAY LESS SURGING, but it still surged.

Here is a video of the surging. I will try to get another video up comparing this wheel's performance to the original Stage 1 turbo I had.

Fast forward to today.

I get home from work and decided to shovel the snow out of the driveway. Well while I was doing this FedEx pulls up and I got to thinking who the hell ordered something now lol.. Then I remembered speaking with Adrian a few weeks back and he told me he had something in the works that will not only eliminate my surging problems, but also flow more air than what I am getting out of the turbo now, build more boost (which was pretty insane to me considering I can easily hit 44+ PSI of boost with the current turbo and have hit 55 PSI a few times) AND make more power than the previous turbo. So obviously I said I'm GAME!!!

Well I get my package today and see it was from Adrian and I immediately tore open the package like a kid on christmas lol.

Inside hiding behind all of the tape and box and paper was this!!

Pics of cast wheel for comparison.

Sooooooooo...... I decided to brave the elements of 20F weather to go yank my turbo out and apart to install the new wheel and see if it indeed does what Adrian claimed it would.

So I started tearing into the turbo.

You need a 8mm 12pt socket to take the compressor housing off of the center section.

Inside of compressor housing.

Compressor housing removed.

Now to remove the compressor wheel you need a 7/8" 6 point socket with an extension on it with a 3/8" drive ratchet on the turbine wheel nut and a 15mm 6 point socket for the compressor wheel. The compressor wheel utilizes reverse threads so you have to act like your tightening the wheel on to break it loose. Once it's loose you can spin it off by hand. Then simply spin the new wheel on and tighten it up. Once its got a good snug on it your done. No need to really crank it down.

Here are a couple of shots comparing the two wheels.

Here it is all assembled and ready to go.

Ok now for results!!!

The preliminary results of my 15 mile test run with the new wheel are simply this.

THIS WHEEL IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY 0 surging!!! I tried everything possible to get this thing to surge and no matter what it just kept build smooth consistent boost pressure!!

BTW I didn't disconnect the batteries, retune or anything. I simply yanked the turbo out and apart, installed the new wheel and reinstalled the turbo. I wanted a direct comparison of this wheel with a tune that I knew surged before and again I couldn't for the life of me get this thing to surge not one time!!

This thing has an AMAZING screaming whistle through the intake while building boost up to 10PSI. Once you break 10-12PSI it sounds like the end of a Shop Vac hose lol. You can DEFINITELY tell it is moving some serious air through that intake.

Bottom end spool up in insane! I literally pulled 90 out of my driveway to the left and had about 50 yards to the road and I wasn't doing anything to try to build boost and before I hit the road I hit 8 PSI!!! It spins up incredibly fast on the bottom end and man this thing MOVES!

I could EASILY hit 44+ PSI on my quick test run. I didn't really get a great test run out of it because when I finished putting it all back together it started snowing really hard out and was quickly covering the roadways. I did get it up to 100+ MPH for a brief second and it did so VERY FAST!

With the torque converter locked it will build steady boost upwards of 35 PSI and continue building it on past 44 PSI while rolling into the throttle. If I give it the wood it will quickly jump to 37-39 PSI and continue to build from there.

Please keep in mind that my turbo will run differently than anyone else's will as no one else has the same turbo as I do but this thing is NUTS!!!

I plan on getting it dynoed in March if I can make it to Rudy's Diesel Day in North Carolina to see what it can really do, BUT I need to get a full fuel tune for this thing ASAP to see what this little guy can really do.

Adrian,

Man I don't know how you do it but DAMN!!! Keep it up man! You have really come through and I really believe that if people don't want to piss around with tuning a million times to get the surging out of their turbos these new wheels are DEFINITELY the way to go!

I will leave you with this for now. Just a quick video of the turbo right after I got it put in the truck and started for the first time.

Last edited by Tuscany; 02-06-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nice write up! seems to maybe be the trick for all these surging problems? I assume it took any lag if there was any out? Is Adrian selling these wheels now or is it still in testing?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

I think he has a limited number of them for sale but is/has sent out a few for testing. I really believe that if simply changing to this wheel fixed my surging issues as bad as they were than there should be no reason it wouldn't get rid of the surging from anyone else's turbos.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gotcha.. might have to look into it when i get my new turbo here soon
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
why? why you gotta make me want a turbo?!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Cause Matt. That's what we do!! A turbo won't hurt your truck buddy .
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could this possibly be done on the truck or is it just easier and quicker to do it on the tailgate?

D
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good stuff Brian. I'm looking for more when you can get it out and hammer on it. Then you need to come to Baltimore and work on my truck cuz I don't work on it when it's 20* out. :
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel angus View Post
Could this possibly be done on the truck or is it just easier and quicker to do it on the tailgate?

D
No it is not possible to swap a compressor wheel with the turbo on the motor (I guess it is "possible" possibly with an impact wrench and something shoved in the turbine housing to keep the wheel from spinning but I would HIGHLY recommend NOT doing that). The best way to do it is to pull the turbo and stick a socket (can't remember the size) in the nut operator of the turbine wheel (provided that there is enough to grab, if it hasn't been ground off from balancing) and a socket on the compressor wheel and spin the compressor wheel off. If that is not an option then splitting the turbo is all that is left to do and grabbing the nut operator with a pair of channel locks or something to keep it from spinning and allowing the compressor wheel to be swapped out.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like the wheel makes a big difference. It would be cool to get back to back dyno results, just for inquiring minds like mine.

BTW, have you ever monitored backpressure to boost ratio? 44 psi seems like a lot, I'd be worried about how long the turbo will last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.