Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

175/75 injectors Opinions Needed

21K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Msims02 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I am currently running Casserly 155/30 injectors and a MTW Hybrid turbo. My truck runs really strong. However, since the recent cold snap, I have noticed some really bad stiction on cold starts. I have ran some TCW3 through a couple tanks and it seems to have helped some but it's still pretty bad. I admit these injectors have been ran with low fuel pressure alot of times so it doesn't really surprise me that I'm having an issue. The whole point of this thread is that I talked with Full Force today about rebuilding and bench flowing my injectors and possibly turning my 155's into 175's while they have them. (Can't ever have too much power, right!?). Bottom line; they can fix my injectors and make them 175/75's for roughly $1100. I couldn't get in touch with Warren to compare prices but I saw on their website they want $1625 for 175/75's. Do you guys think it would be worth it to step on up since I will have the injectors out anyway? How good will they match up with my hybrid? Should I use Full Force again?

Sorry for getting long winded. Thanks for the replies in advance.

#2 ·
try warren tomorrow i know he can do better than that and im sure you know how good of quality they are.

#3 ·
I plan on trying to get in touch with Warren again tomorrow before I pull the trigger. When I saw his pricing for making a stock injector into a 175 I just assumed it would be the same price.

#4 ·
Stiction isn't on the fuel side of the injectors. It's on the oil side. Running fuel additives won't change anything. Try running some 5W-40 synthetic with a dose of Rev-X or Archoil and see if that solves your issues before you drop a grand or more on rebuilt injectors.

#5 ·
^^^^ Yep. And Im running Warren 175/75's with a hybrid not enough air for these injectors. Im thinking about going to a Stage 3.

#6 ·
If you go to 175 injectors keep your 30% nozzles. I see you also have a PHP FICM tuner. Try dropping back to a 40 hp tune or all the way back to stock and see if that doesn't help.

As said stiction happens on the oil side. 5w40 synthetic and some Rev-X or Archoil AR9100 will help if it is a stiction issue.

#9 ·
Try dropping back to a 40 hp tune or all the way back to stock and see if that doesn't help.
Do that first. I think aggressive FICM tunes are not so good for cold starts when you have larger than stock injectors. Especially if you aren't seeing any contribution/balance codes, I would suspect the hot FICM tune is causing the cold running issue. Personally, if you are getting new nozzles and just getting you injectors stroked a little bit, I think everyone's prices will be similar. If you are happy with Casserly, why go someplace else.

And baby steps are for babies! Get some real fuel into that truck :liar:

Go 190s or 205s :wink[3]:

#7 ·
Honest if you have full force talk to ryan or matt. Round about price idea here, nozzles roughly 450-500 dollars, then he probably gonna modify the fuel n oil plungers so let's see roughly another 200-300 bucks where we at 700-800 dollars roughly give or take, you end up with new internal parts and warranty probably as well and his time n work put into it. Casserly is good folks man delt with him for over 8yrs. Like stated above its your spools valves that are having the issue, I just pull my own clean them n I'm fine.

#8 · (Edited)
I've always ran 5w-40 Rotella synthetic in it. I do need to get some Rev-x and try that. I have noticed the fuel mileage isn't what it use to be on the highway either. But I figured that had to do with whatever is making the injectors act up on cold start.

Mitch, what would be the advantage of a 30% nozzle instead of 75%? I haven't tried setting my FICM tuner back to stock yet. Didn't even think about that could have something to do with it.

AllPro, thanks for that advise man! I wanted to hear from someone actually running this combo. I was kind of worried the hybrid wouldn't be enough because it doesn't even clean my 155's up on WOT.

#13 ·
Mitch, what would be the advantage of a 30% nozzle instead of 75%? I haven't tried setting my FICM tuner back to stock yet. Didn't even think about that could have something to do with it.

AllPro, thanks for that advise man! I wanted to hear from someone actually running this combo. I was kind of worried the hybrid wouldn't be enough because it doesn't even clean my 155's up on WOT.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

My truck idled like crap with the Hercules and certain tunes in the warm weather. If you have been running synthetic oil for a long time your issue shouldn't be dirty spool valves.

The reason to keep the 30% nozzles is that it will give you the best overall performance for that injector. Consider that 175cc is a little bit over 30% larger than stock, therefore IMHO the 30% nozzle is a good match to the injector size.

A larger nozzle will spray the all the fuel near the top of power stroke relying on that initial burn to drive the piston the rest of the way down. The smaller nozzle will spray longer during the power stroke continuing to drive the piston longer resulting in smoother power, lower cylinder pressure, and more torque.

I believe most people go too big on their nozzles. Bigger isn't always better. Of course other opinions may disagree. :D

#14 ·
I agree with Green, ppl going 100 percent nozzles an all don't see to do as well as ppl with 75. If you decide to can your Full Force injectors which is rare let me know.

#15 ·
I'm running 175/75s with the hybrid... Yes it is a bit low on air but I do NOT see it being a major concern... I tow 8-10k and it does just fine... Although I will agree with Mitch about going with 30% nozzles... I think it will be a better match and you will not see such a big difference in performance for that $500 in new nozzles!

#16 ·
175's and 30 Nozzles on a Hybrid nothing more or it will be smokey even up top.

My Warren's 175's 75's and a Hybrid is too foggy / dusty ran on any tune.
even with fuel removed you won't be happy.

I'm struggling to get adrian to sell me a stage 3 because he knows from experience it will destroy my tranny.

Denny n Dallas

#18 ·
Adrian doesn't feel it will make that big a difference, especially down low where i need it, Stg. 2 doesn't spool as fast and my truck isn't a race vehicle.

D

#23 ·
Just a heads up Jesse has been out of office the last couple days as he had some business or something in Mississippi to take care of or some sort. I talked to Patrick today and he said he should be back soon.

#24 ·
I will put my 2 cents worth here about injector makers. I have dealt with Ryan Casserly for a long time. I will simply state that you get what you pay for. If you are already running his injectors and want to go bigger, then why would you want someone else, other than him do that? I am just saying but then again, I am just an old lady that drives an old, slow truck. :evillol:

#26 ·
30% is really the most you want to do with a lot of towing. 75% is what Im running and you can tow with it just have to watch temps. Tuners like to tune 30's for towing better then 75's or 100's

#28 ·
I would definitely stick with the casserly injectors. that is the way I will go in the spring. it seems the other two main stream builders back their product but do have a lot of failures. I would also stick with the same nozzle.

#29 ·
Heres two video clips I took this morning:

FICM is showing 48.2 volts and no codes are being thrown. It starts and runs smooth for 15 seconds are so then starts this and run like that for about a minute then clears up.

#31 ·
That's with the FICM on Hercules. It also does it on Atlas 80. I haven't tried returning my FICM to stock yet, figured I would do that this evening and see how it does in the morning.

#33 ·
So whats the latest update? Which size injectors you going to go with. I'd be interested seeing how 190/30s work out if you do them.

#34 ·
I haven't pulled the trigger on a set yet. I am just about due for an oil change and I plan to put some Rev-x in and see if it helps any. If the new billet wheel for the Hybrid cleans my 155's completely up then I just might go with 190's.

#35 ·
What nozzle size with the 190s if you do go with them. Or have you thought about it much?

#36 ·
So did u figure out if it was injectors or ficm tuning? Are u still running the SPD tune? I'm running the SPD & looney wild revised for my turbo, plus Hercules ficm tune

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#37 ·
I haven't took time to return my FICM to stock. I've been running a version of the Looney Wild Track file with turbo tuning for the hybrid. It pulls a good bit stronger than my SPD did on top end and is about even on bottom end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.