Sinister Y-Pipe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sinister Y-Pipe

Hey all,

I bought a sinister diesel y-pipe because my stock one broke at the flex joint. Installing it today and it's leaking at the turbo v clamp connection. When installing i had the turbo loose, up pipe connections to the manifold bolted but loose, and i went ahead an tightened up the v-band clamp, so as to get the best seal. Then i went ahead and tightened the up pipes and turbo and down pipe. But its leaking bad, you can hear feel and see the smoke. i took the clamp off and inspected and everythings even and thers maybe an 1/8th'' gap around.

Anyone else have this problem?! frustrating ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 04:32 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Try loosening the bolts at the manifolds (as far as you can but still having the nuts attached), V-Band clamp, AND turbo mounting bolts. Then see if you can get the v-band connection to seal tight by tightening the v-band clamp. If you can get that part to seal, then tighten the connections at the manifolds, and IF you can, then put the bolts in the turbo to hold it onto the pedestal.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM

hey nate,

what you described is what i did. manifold bolts in but loose, no turbo bolts, no down pipe, and i tightened the v-band clamp. How that did not seal it i dont know. I guess ill have to try again. I forgot to check how the connection looked with the new y pipe when i had turbo out. It seems like somethings just not right.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 PM
information regurgitator

Whats not right is the alignment of the flange on the turbo to the flange on the new y-pipe. It has to be perfect before the marmon clamp is put on and tightened down.
I had problems putting my new y-pipe in as well. Here is a link to that discussion and what I ultimately did to get it right.
Got any tricks for y-pipe alignment? Lets hear 'em.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Sorry man, didn't realize you had the turbo loose with the bolts out. If the turbo is on the pedestal, can you get the pipe into position, close enough so it appears, that it would seal if the v-band clamp were on it?? Or were you trying to draw the pipe into the turbine inlet?? I ask because if you can do what I mentioned, then it should seal. You just have to wiggle and hand align it while you tighten the v-band clamp. If not, then I've got nothing man. Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Whats not right is the alignment of the flange on the turbo to the flange on the new y-pipe. It has to be perfect before the marmon clamp is put on and tightened down.
I had problems putting my new y-pipe in as well. Here is a link to that discussion and what I ultimately did to get it right.
Got any tricks for y-pipe alignment? Lets hear 'em.
some good reading here thanks for the most part i have done everything the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Sorry man, didn't realize you had the turbo loose with the bolts out. If the turbo is on the pedestal, can you get the pipe into position, close enough so it appears, that it would seal if the v-band clamp were on it?? Or were you trying to draw the pipe into the turbine inlet?? I ask because if you can do what I mentioned, then it should seal. You just have to wiggle and hand align it while you tighten the v-band clamp. If not, then I've got nothing man. Hope this helps.
i snapped two pics here, seems pretty darn close to me...

Anyone have problems specifically with sinisters pipe?

Im starting to get pretty sore working on this thing lol wont get another chance till next weekend
Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

You're the first person I've heard of buy them. Not saying that no one has bought a set, but I haven't heard of them.

Anyways, can you tell where it is hitting that is keeping it from lining up properly?? It does look very close.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is there any possibility that the wrap you have on it is interfering with the Mormon clamp on the back side...

Now with the alignment issue, I have had the same distance issue. I used the ratchet strap meathod to pull the y-pipe to the passenger fender.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM

No i cant really tell if it is hitting or where it is hitting.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentstdi View Post
Is there any possibility that the wrap you have on it is interfering with the Mormon clamp on the back side...

Now with the alignment issue, I have had the same distance issue. I used the ratchet strap meathod to pull the y-pipe to the passenger fender.
No i know the heat wrap isn't interfering at all. Ratchet strap eh around the y pipe and hook it to where? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.